General Questions about the Nokia Lumia 800

bernzy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Vodafone customer, and a Blackberry 9700 Bold owner. My contract is due next month, and I need your help to find me the best phone and why. I have my eyes on the Nokia Lumia 800 - I love its shape, and very interested to see how a windows phone can be as exciting as the new Iphone 4s. I have a couple of questions that would help me make my decisions:

1) The blackberry is known to be a business phone for its organisation and ease of use. What demographics do the Nokia Lumia 800 apply to and why?

2) How quick does the internet work (as for blackberry, I have had an awful experience with sometimes taking 5 minutes to load up pages?

3) Is black/blue the only colours available?

4) The camera I believe is 8mp. What is the quality like in the dark? Does it have automatic settings such as a GOOD flash? Is it HD?

5) I know the internal memory is 16GB, however can we expand this with memory cards if needed?

6) What is the average battery life like once you have the following active at the same time: wifi, bluetooth, data roaming etc?

7) Might be a dumb question, but are there applications you are able to download ie: android, appstore etc

8) My partner owns a Mac Book Pro and an Iphone 4. When you link both devices together, it is extremely clever how they sync together. Is this the same for Windows phones and windows computers?

9) As opposed to the poor graphics on the blackberry, how smooth is the Nokia lumia 800 overall? Are the graphics exciting and welcoming to new customers?

10) Finally, what features, or designs make this phone unique as opposed to the other phones on the market?

I would much appreciate if some of you can reply with some answers, as I really do not wish to make the wrong choice of phone this time.

Kind Regards,

Tom

1) The blackberry is known to be a business phone for its organisation and ease of use. What demographics do the Nokia Lumia 800 apply to and why?

Note sure if I'm honest, don't think it's the business market as it doesn't tend to hold on to phone calls as well as Blackberry's do, which is incredibly frustrating if you're on an important business call....

2) How quick does the internet work (as for blackberry, I have had an awful experience with sometimes taking 5 minutes to load up pages?

When you have decent signal, the internet is very fast on the phone

3) Is black/blue the only colours available?

So far in the UK, yes

4) The camera I believe is 8mp. What is the quality like in the dark? Does it have automatic settings such as a GOOD flash? Is it HD?

The camera is pretty good actually. Not really used it with the flash, but the quality is good. Not as good as 4S though. HD is below 8MP in terms of resolution btw

5) I know the internal memory is 16GB, however can we expand this with memory cards if needed?

No

6) What is the average battery life like once you have the following active at the same time: wifi, bluetooth, data roaming etc?

Battery is pretty good, but as you would expect, having all those on at the same time drains it

7) Might be a dumb question, but are there applications you are able to download ie: android, appstore etc

Microsoft's Marketplace is pretty good. Not as many quality apps as the Apple App Store, but not too bad

8) My partner owns a Mac Book Pro and an Iphone 4. When you link both devices together, it is extremely clever how they sync together. Is this the same for Windows phones and windows computers?

The Windows phone software lets you choose what to synch from your iTunes library and is getting better all the time.

9) As opposed to the poor graphics on the blackberry, how smooth is the Nokia lumia 800 overall? Are the graphics exciting and welcoming to new customers?

I really like the WP7 UI. It's slick and fresh and good to use. Not played games as it's my business phone, but I've heard its decent. Not as good as iPhone for graphics due to the chip used

10) Finally, what features, or designs make this phone unique as opposed to the other phones on the market?

The industrial design of the phone is excellent. WP7 is really good. Overall though, not massive amounts to differentiate it.

I would much appreciate if some of you can reply with some answers, as I really do not wish to make the wrong choice of phone this time.

That's what the 'Thanks' button is for ;)

Hi Tom, just to add to Kempez's points, here's my take:

1) Perfectly adept for business use. Native support for MS office suite and of course compliant with Exchange security policies. The large multinational I work for has been issuing these to employees, hence me having one! No issues with dropped calls thus far but the Vodafone network seems to be pretty good in this respect. Some have fallen foul of muting their mic accidentally but I guess that's because it's a new system to us.

2) The stock browser is quick and very smooth to use. The ubiquitous kinetic scrolling makes it about the slickest mobile browser on the market. But... No alternative browser available on Market Place, no folders to organise bookmarks and a bit fiddly to be honest to be diving into menus these days for the basics. Hopefully the next software release, Apollo, will bring some usability progression.

3) Magenta on its way too...

4) Average quality camera, a bit grainy in low light. iPhone, Nokia's N8 and Sony lead the way for mobile photography.

5) No, but SkyDrive gives you 25GB cloud storage

6) Will just about get you through the day with moderate to heavy use. Haven't been abroad with mine yet so not sure how much an effect data roaming has.

7) The basics, but growing. Several big hitting media outlets missing ATM - Sky, BBC iPlayer, Netflix (in the UK). There's equivalent apps for most things and social networking is covered.

8 ) The Zune PC client is quite well built and reasonably easy to use. Wireless Syncing is available as stock.

9) Certainly an eye catcher in this department. I have had far more comments about my Lumia from friends than my iPhone or Nexus. Slick, with plenty of eye candy. The Metro design language may not be to everyone's taste and it is locked down with little customisation options. Personal preference really.

10) The OS is a little different from pretty much all the competition. There's a greater level of integration within core functionality, messaging, contacts and media consumption than the other platforms which seem to use individual apps for every task. There's far less fragmentation than Android meaning your device will likely receive updates faster and remain current for longer although operators still hold the reigns. As the hardware is a standard build dictated by MSFT, apps can be optimised to run efficiently meaning you don't need that massive processing power that you do on other OS. The device itself is really well made, solid, stylish, classy. The clear black display really is stunning. Overall, a great phone if you're not pre-invested in Android or iOS.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom