1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Question About Coolpix 995.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by A-Traveller, Jun 11, 2004.

1. A-Traveller

A-Traveller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All.

I am considering buying a Coolpix 995, but the camera does not come with any of the following:

* software
    * computer drivers
    * battery charger
    * USB Cable
    * English instruction manual

I would like to know:

Is the relevant software/drivers and the English manual available from Nikon's website?

Is the USB cable just an ordinary everyday USB cable that is used on the pc with other peripherals or is it some special sort of USB cable?

I don't mind about the battery charger as I plan on using it with an ac adaptor anyway.

Also, the seller recommends tha a USB memory card reader be purchased for the camera because it "does not have a computer connection cable".

Could anyone explain what a USB memory card reader is and why I would need to buy one? Also, how much does it cost?

Thanks everyone.

2. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A USB memory card reader is simply a device that one end plugs into a USB and the other end allows a memory card to be plugged into. In the case of the 995 I think it uses compactflash so u will need a compact flash reader which can be picked up from around £12 from Jessops. If u have one of these you effectively will not require a USB lead for the camera or the relevant drivers off the Nikon website.
    Most manufacture websites do offer the relevant drivers for download I would imagine (but havent had a chanve to check) that there are some around for the 995 although as I say if u go down the meory card reader route you can eliminate this option anyway.

Hope that made sense :)

3. A-Traveller

A-Traveller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Matiano; yes it all makes perfect sense.

So is the memory card reader just so that you don't have to 'plug' the camera itself into the pc?

If I don't get a memory card reader, could I simply 'plug' the camera into the pc with a USB cable instead. Would this be the same as using a memory card reader?

Also, is the USB cable just an ordinary one?

Thanks.