1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Prog Scan TV question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BigAardvaark, Mar 4, 2003.

1. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hello all,

I'm looking to find a 32/36" widescreen CRT TV that will handle both NTSC and PAL progressive signals.

So far, the only CRT TV I have found that has PAL progressive capability is the Panasonic TX32PH40 but have no idea as to whether or not it will do NTSC as well. So I asked the question of Panasonic themselves who responded: "Yes, this set supports Progressive Scan. As do alot of our other sets." Hardly a definitive answer!! I gave up there and then.... :rolleyes:

If anyone has one of these sets and can confirm PAL/NTSC Prog Scan compatiblity, I'd really appreciate it. OR, if anyone knows of other CRT's with PAL AND NTSC Prog Scan, also very much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    JVC´s HV32D25 accepts both NTSC & PAL Progressive Scan and also has it´s own Movie Theatre Mode (Prog Scan) for RGB/S-Video/Interlaced Component sources via the AV inputs.

3. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
  4. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39

The PB50 I've just sent back supported prog scan only with ntsc , I think the PH40 supports prog scan with both pal and ntsc like you say

5. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Why did you send the PB50 back? Problems?

I think the PH40 does NTSC/PAL prog scan too, but I need hard "tried and tested" evidence before I part with me spondoolicks!!!

Thanks,

Ian.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Yes, got one and it´s perfectly happy accepting an NTSC Progressive Signal. One of the other members of this Forum has also tested this model with PAL Progressive as well.

The specs in that link refer to the NTSC Progressive Mode which some other JVC tv´s have. They have their own de-interlacing for NTSC sources.

7. testcard

testcard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone supply a quick "idiot's guide" to progressive scan? I always understood that an interlaced picture reduced flicker with two fields per frame. What are the benefits of progressive scan? Does it work by de-interlacing the original picture?

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Have a look here :

www.progressivescan.co.uk

9. testcard

testcard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! Going there now.

10. bommaren

bommaren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic 32PH40 and 32PS20 does
    progressive scan for 576P and 480P
    via the component inputs.

Verified and tested, belive me :)

This is what popularly is called
    NTSC rprogressive and PAL progressive.

Pana 32PS20 is the new lower price panasonic with progressive scan input.

-B

11. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The panasonic ph40 does as I read alot of articles from owners on this fprum confirming it , just do a search, but for me personally I would have a look at the jvc which is suppose to support both ntsc and pal. I had a look at the panasonic tvs and for some reason I hate the picture on these sets. every single one I have seen i didnt like the picture!!! I guess it is preference , now Im waiting for the jvc to arrive so I can compare.

I have seen the jvc L2 interi art model 32 inch and it was pretty good but the 32d25 is suppose to be a lot better that the pixel plus models and this is what I heard from salesmen who are selling both and seen both although the jvc has just arrived and awaiting the official release here in cyprus so I can see it!!

I think for the price the toshiba zd26 had a great picture quality on dvd when I saw it but no pal pro scan on it just ntsc.

12. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks for all the input people, I've decided to wait a while until someone like Sony wakes up and caters for PScan in a CRT set.

I read the long thread about the JVC set and although I was tempted, the problems encountered by some were enough to put me off investing.

My Sony FQ75 has served me well up to now (over 12 months) and still (after much service menu tweaking) provides a breathtaking picture, horizontal bars on dark pictures aside.

Thanks again,

Ian.

13. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    ian

just have a look at the jvc, its a company with good products and this one sounds as if it is a good buy. But if you look at the threads most are happy with theirs compared to other brands but you have to consider how many complaints you get having in mind how many thousands of sets are sold! Like the pixel plus model is really complained about alot and that would put me off but not a lot of serious problems with the jvc. Of course the jvc hasnt been out that long so I guess you can see and wait for more opinions from owners