1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General opinons on sanyo reliability

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fallwood, Oct 10, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all, as my ae700 comes to the end of its warranty I'm left with the question do I buy an extended warranty or jump ship and go for the new z4 with 3yr warranty, as Ive had so much trouble with my 700 over the past year (due to long run times and extensive use apparently) I dont feel the slightest bit confident that it will last another year without breaking down. How are people finding the sanyo pj's to be as far as reliability is concerned and how well do sanyo deal with warranty repairs.

2. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it true that Sanyo has a 72 hour repair/replace warranty on their PJs. Have to agree with Fallwood about Panny as my 700 is in for repair and have been informed that they can take upto 3 months (yes 3 months :eek: :eek: :eek: ) to repair. Although I am confident with a little bit of shouting and complaining the turn around on my 700 will be much, much quicker :D .

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Did you ring today to see if they have collected it yet.

4. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, I'm ringing tomorrow - I'm practicing my angry customer voice tonight! :D

5. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought that sanyo owners would be shouting from the rooftops as to how reliable their machines were and how good sanyo customer service is, your silence is making me think otherwise.

6. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    my z1 is still fine..........

7. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No problems with my Z2 at all. It's about 2 years old now and has abut 1800 hours on the clock.

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    My Z3 is fine with 480 hours. Excellent customer service when I had my first one replaced because of the "Predator Look" bug...they delivered the new one when they collected the old one.

9. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How quick are sanyo to turn round a pj when its in for repair, I wouldnt mind the frequent repairs so much if it didnt take panny so bloody long to get things fixed (been waiting 3 months for a part at the moment). Has anyone suffered from heat soak damage on any of the z range of pj's , the ae range seems to suffer badly from heat damage on all the machines ive had. How easy is dust removal on the z range, I have difficulty removing all the dust on my 700 and as I run it in high fan mode it get dusty quite quickly (blow out every couple of months), I understand that the z series have blow holes so that the panels can be cleaned without dismantling the unit, how effective are these blow holes. And one last question , the stated bulb life is approx 2000 hrs, does this figure relate to running in high lamp mode and will the bulb therefore last longer in low mode as with the panny pj's. A lot of questions but I want to be sure Im making the right decision moving to sanyo,.

10. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I've just had my Z2 repaired - or rather, "optically cleaned" - by Owl Video Services. I got it back inside two weeks.

One thing surprised me, though: for servicing not covered by the guarantee, they charge an inspection fee of over £80, payable even if you decide not to go ahead once you've received the quote for the repair.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

11. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Had my Z2 for about 2 years,still working like a charm,I do think the bulb is dimming a little now but I suppose this is to be expected.

12. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair Bert, this may well be nothing to do with Sanyo and its already been said but some suspect your retailer has not dealt with you fairly based on the limited facts you posted. Unfair given they did not tell you about the £80 and have said the work was out of warranty as well (why??? - we assume you used your Z2 in accordance with the manual).

I purchased my Z3 in Japan but needed a firmware upgrade and Sanyo UK arranged for a company to do the upgrade free of charge. A courier came and collected it and returned it within a few days. I spoke with the technician at the repair company. I believe that Sanyo UK are honest and fair as a manufacturer based on my experience owning a Z3 although they overprice here in the UK along with all other projector companies except Epson on the TW10H. This is based on my experience.

13. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Sainthalo,

Don't mistake me: I'm not complaining (though I agree that I should have been told about the inspection fee before the actual inspection was carried out) and if Owl say that cleaning is specifically excluded from the guarantee, then I see no reason to disbelieve them.

I really only posted in this thread to answer the question about turnaround times and to issue a mild warning about the inspection charge. In terms of performance and general reliability I have nothing but praise for Sanyo in general and the Z2 in particular.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

14. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    PLV30 still running like a good 'un and its 3 years old

15. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bert I honestly feel that you may have been taken advantage of and mislead. Do correct me if i am wrong on any of this but the company you mentioned are not an authorised repair centre and afaik they do not repair your unit but send it off to GM Services in MK who are basically the only place in the UK who repair sanyo's projectors. I think that they then paid GM Services and charged you a premium on their costs ie they profited from your repair. I know for a fact if you went to GM Services direct it would have cost you around £120 including carriage back. I dont know what you paid total but given they have an £80 inspection fee (another name for the profit they would make so they dont lose out whether you repair or not!) im guessing it was around £200.

Also an optical clean should be under warranty unless there is user abuse. ie if you have not followed the cleaning advice in the manual - if they didnt even ask you about your cleaning habits then they have clearly not even properly detemined if it is user abuse or not. It may be that Sanyo do have some policy against optical cleaning. If they do then personally I think this is wrong and I would write to them to correct them on this and ask them to retrospectively pay the costs under warranty.

In case you need it:

Sanyo Europe Limited
    c/o Customer Relations dept
    Sanyo House
    18 Colonial Way
    Watford
    Herts
    WD24 4PT

PS does anyone have any thoughts about whether optical cleans should be under warranty as long as you clean filters as per manual? It seems pretty clear to me that it should be covered under warranty as it suggests the manufacturer got the balance between necessary airflow, fanspeed and filter material wrong. If dust were to build up and affect the picture that is.

16. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had access or owned two Z1s, (one still going strong, one sold at 700hrs main problem was dust blobs) and two Z3s, not missed a beat.

Reliability seems to be a strong point. I even took my LCD glass out of my z1, tried to align it and re-seated it, still worked a treat.

17. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Panasonic cover optical cleans under warranty, thats mostly what mine goes back for and I've never been charged. I'd still like some confirmation on the bulb life situation, is it 2000 hrs dead or can the life be lengthened by using low lamp mode.

18. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fallwood, thanks for that confirmation - might be useful for Bert if he seeks his repair costs back.

and there is greater lamp life expectancy with low lamp mode so switch over if you havent already.

19. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I use low lamp mode on my ae700 and it can extend the bulb from 3000hrs up to 5000hrs, is the z4 gonna be roughly the same (2000hrs extended to maybe 3500 hrs), as i give mine some serious hammer (approx 80-100hrs per week) I need the bulbs to last as long as possible.

20. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont know the claimed* stats im afraid as i have decided to stick with the Z3 forever and a day!

*one thing i would say is be dubious about bulb life claims from manufacturers just as you are about contrast level claims! i wouldnt base a decision on which projector to get on bulb life claims of the manufacturers - might be best to search here on the avforums for real life figures on older models which probably use the same lamp.

21. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There are a few people out there that have reached 5000hrs with the panny pj's, im up to 2481hrs on my ae700 in 9 months and my mate is well over 3500hrs, as long as I can get a year out of a z4 bulb I'd be happy, havent managed to get any of my panny pj's to last a year without a fault occuring , they all broke down after 6-8 months of being hammered.

22. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those hours are impressive but if you read around theres many whose lasted less than that.

AFAIK and FWIW Panny claim higher bulb life than Sanyo claim.

I dont know what the highest recorded figure we have on a Z3 is but that might be useful info if you ask around - maybe start a thread on it?