General Nutrition/Bodybuilding and Fitness discussion

Macca10

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback guys, all appreciated.

Doc, you said you're working on your diet at the moment? What measures are your taking to lose any excess weight? I'm not particularly fat but i do have a bit of a gut amd a couple of love handles. Over the last 6 months i've been sticking to having porridge in the morning followed by fruit in the afternoon and then for dinner i have plain chicken breat with a bunch of veg.

I'm looking to introduce one or two protien shakes and/or supplements to assist in both weight lose & some slight muscles gain/ tone(I know these are different aspects).

Back onto the UFC, there was rumbling on MMA Live last week, the presenter who's names escapes me asked Florian to break out his kilt as the UFC may well indeed finally land in Scotland, be it Glasgow(dear god please) or Edinburgh...

Doc, you said you're working on your diet at the moment? What measures are your taking to lose any excess weight? I'm not particularly fat but i do have a bit of a gut amd a couple of love handles. Over the last 6 months i've been sticking to having porridge in the morning followed by fruit in the afternoon and then for dinner i have plain chicken breat with a bunch of veg.

I'm looking to introduce one or two protien shakes and/or supplements to assist in both weight lose & some slight muscles gain/ tone(I know these are different aspects).

Pretty similar. I used to have a fry every morning at work, or at least a few sausage rolls and beans if not a full fry. Every morning!!! Cholesterol came back 6.7! Sacked the fry, (still have one maybe every other week) and started on porridge. Within 6 months the cholesterol was 5.

Don't eat so much porridge now, although I should start again. My main change recently was reduce portion size, (I'm not usually that bad as regards quality of food, but my quantities were shocking), increase amount and frequency of fruit and veg, eat chicken and fish frequently, and avoid carbs as much as possible.

I am particularly fat, 5'11" and in late December/early January I weighed just under 18 and a half stone. My target weight is about 14, maybe 14 and a half. At the minute I'm down to 16-10. Just started the protein shakes too.

Quick question to gauge my fitness, how long should it take to do a 3 mile run? I just went for a 2.7 mile run (drove it earlier to measure), well more a jog-walk-jog again than a run. Before I state my time, what would be normal? It's on the road, first half occasionally uphill, second half mainly downhill.

3.1 miles is around 5km and I was doing that in around 22-25 mins when I was jogging last year. It wasn't a particularly fast pace though.

A good test for fitness is the army run of 2.4km in under 10mins 30sec. I managed 10:15 and it nearly killed me!

Last edited:
Well there you have it. I did 2.7 miles tonight in 38 minutes. Very much stop start because my cardio sucks so bad. The 2 stone flopping around my gut doesn't help either!

It's a start though Phil and a marker for you to better each time you run. You'll improve, I'm sure of that.
I found loads of cardio and a lowering carbs towards the evening worked wonders for me.

phil, ive been into the whole nutrition thing alot lately, what protein shakes have you got? make sure its low in fat content and low carbs, some are loaded up for weight gain,

im not trying to put on any weight till winter, im curently 6.1 and 14 stone, ill try and get another stone through bulking up over winter but i drink myofusion at the mo, ive been doing lots of cardio and a short weight workout for the past 3 months (fueteventura on saturday!! :smashin:)
heres a link,

Gaspari Myofusion

this one has low carbs ect.

just check the ingredients per 100g on yours

7.00am im currently eating porridge in the morning (slow release carbs)

10.00am protein shake and fuit normally banana and apple (natural sugars from the fruit and protein for you muscles from previous workout)

1.00pm Tuna baguette normally wholmeal bread with some nuts/raisins after

4.00pm either a row and workout or just a row on alternate days followed by another shake

5.30pm is dinner, normally anything goes within reason, i try and stay away from bread but its not essential providing your not eating much later than 6pm

all through the day i drink 2 litres of water sometimes a bit more

have abused a few chinese takaways at the weekends :devil:

just a little guide for a comparrision mate :smashin:

Last edited:
I have 2 tubs of stuff, both from Holland & Barrett's Body Fortress range, (coz I worked there briefly).

Milk & Egg Protein,
100g serving has 2.9g carbs and 1.4g fat.

Hurricane,
100g serving has 31g carbs and 3.7g fat.

The Hurricane one is actually bloody high in carbs then!

I have 2 tubs of stuff, both from Holland & Barrett's Body Fortress range, (coz I worked there briefly).

Milk & Egg Protein,
100g serving has 2.9g carbs and 1.4g fat.

Hurricane,
100g serving has 31g carbs and 3.7g fat.

The Hurricane one is actually bloody high in carbs then!

hurricane will be a post workout shake. as soon as you finish weight training you need to take a shake that contains protein and carbs. the carbs will help transport the protein to the muscle faster and in turn improve your muscles recovery/healing. so only take hurricane after training!!

i'd advise taking a protein shake with water as soon as you wake, and with milk before you go to bed. its all about increasing your metabolism, so the shake 1st thing switches your body on as its been fasting during your nights sleep. the shake before bed is taken with milk as it slows the speed of protein release meaing your body gets some protein in take during the night and doesn't completly starve.

you really need to be eating 6/7 times a day to increase your metabolism also. don't worry each time you eat it doesn't have to be a full meal.......eg

meal 1 protein shake

meal 2 oats, milk and bananna/apple

meal 3 greek yoghurt with blueberries

meal 4 tuna sandwich

meal 5 handful unsalted nuts.

meal 6 chicken, veg, small portion wholemeal rice

meal 7 protein shake with milk.

if your really serious about it then you need to count calories, protein, carbs and fat for every day and workout what you need.

basically if you take in less calories than you use you'l lose weight, take in more than you use you'l gain weight!!

easy:rolleyes:

hope that hasn't bored you all!!!:rolleyes:

lol yeah it is quite high, so on the days you take that one just watch your intake with other foods, i went to holland and barrets today and got the fortress whey protien as it was half price.....i now know why it was half price it tastes like crap!!! lol

still it doesnt matter i only have it as a reserve if i run low on the myofusion.

im not sure if you have access to a rowing machine but they work wonders for your cardio mate, start low and increase slightly every week and you will be doing 5k rows after 3-4 months and 10k after 6 months that burns some serious calories :cool: your legs feel like lead the day after but you soon get used to it, very good for explosive sports like rugby mma ect.

lol yeah it is quite high, so on the days you take that one just watch your intake with other foods, i went to holland and barrets today and got the fortress whey protien as it was half price.....i now know why it was half price it tastes like crap!!! lol

still it doesnt matter i only have it as a reserve if i run low on the myofusion.

im not sure if you have access to a rowing machine but they work wonders for your cardio mate, start low and increase slightly every week and you will be doing 5k rows after 3-4 months and 10k after 6 months that burns some serious calories :cool: your legs feel like lead the day after but you soon get used to it, very good for explosive sports like rugby mma ect.

mix it up with a bit of high intensity stuff too mate.

eg...... stick 500m into the rowing machine. then blast it out, aim for under 2mins. whatever time you do then thats your recovery so if you clock 1min50 then rest for 1min50. then go again. do this 6 times.

so thats 6 x 500m.

trust me, if you get the 6 done you'l struggle to walk!! this is my fav cardio exercise. theres alot of mental focus involved as its so easy to slow down or stop but get your mind in gear and really push it!! all about discipline just like martial arts!!

obviously you should warm up before you start!! enjoy:smashin:

mix it up with a bit of high intensity stuff too mate.

eg...... stick 500m into the rowing machine. then blast it out, aim for under 2mins. whatever time you do then thats your recovery so if you clock 1min50 then rest for 1min50. then go again. do this 6 times.

so thats 6 x 500m.

trust me, if you get the 6 done you'l struggle to walk!! this is my fav cardio exercise. theres alot of mental focus involved as its so easy to slow down or stop but get your mind in gear and really push it!! all about discipline just like martial arts!!

obviously you should warm up before you start!! enjoy:smashin:

yeah thats what ive been doing, normally 1 minute flat out then 30 seconds slowed right down then repeat ect, im only doing 3k regular at the mo but aiming at 2mins per 500 when i just go for a target distance will hit 4 and 5k this week before holiday though

by the way phil, the shakes are not that necessary really while losing weight, just good exercise and healthy eating will do that wonders, just remember to drink loads of water.:smashin:

Doc? or anyone else currently training? I just wanted to enquire and your nutrition...

Would any of you be willing to share/discuss your dietary requirements? Or if your taking any sort of supplements?

I'm thinking of starting a supplement based diet to assist in my diet/training. I've also found a dedictaed MMA gym in Glasgow, they run a specific strength & conditioning class on a Tuesday night which i'm thinking would be my best place to start out.

Mac,

Where's the gym in town that your looking at?

I'm out in Carnbroe next to Coatbridge and would like to get into some training again as like some others I could do with losing some weight (well loads to be honest) and MMA would be something that'd keep me interested rather than just going to the gym.

Cheers

Well, the new diet plan I have is as follows...

8:00am, (when I get up) - Low carb protein shake

10:00am (morning tea break) - Porridge

13:00 (lunch break) - Apple, orange, banana, kiwi, pear (3 or 4 of that list)

15:00 (afternoon tea break) - flapjack bar

18:00 - Proper dinner, fish/chicken, some veg, maybe potatoes.

20:00 - Another low carb protein shake (or the high carb one if I'm just back from the gym).

Thoughts?

And should I be taking the hurricane stuff at all, even after the gym? We don't do much weights so not sure if it would be any help to me. Maybe better sticking with the low carb one?

Phil, you should go to muscletalk.co.uk for diet review and suggestions. It's a good board.

to be honest mate i think you'l struggle with hunger. take a bit more for lunch. high protein lowish carbs like 1tin tuna on 2 slices wholemeal with no butter or mayo. the fruit won't be enough, you'l be starving. you could eat the fruit an hour or so later for a snack. what sort of flapjack? some are really high in carbs and contain gelatine which won't help at all. its a fine line mate, if your constantly hungry you'l not be able to keep it up in the long term...... the diet i mean. and thats the hardest thing to do.

to lose weight you need to be taking in roughly 2000 calories. this is under maintenance so you will lose weight.

say...

shake + 50/60 grams oats.

lowfat yoghurt with walnuts or blueberries. blueberries are a super food and walnuts have been found to help with weight loss.

tuna on wholemeal

bananna, apple, kiwi

chicken, veg, wholemeal rice.

shake.

i'd reccommend weights big time if you can squeeze them in 3 times a week. trust me, the weight will fall off much quicker if you can include them.

stay away from the hurricane unless your weight training mate. the extra carbs aren't gonna help ya.

the bottom line is getting an eating plan your comfortable with!! if your eating something you don't like or your constantly hungry you'l not keep at it.

do a bit of reading online about eating right. you'l be amazed how much you'l have to eat to take in 2000 clean calories a day!!! honestly!!

at the minute i'm having to supplement my diet with epa fish oil capsules because i can't get enough good fats into my diet:eek:

hope you understand this ok?

Well, the new diet plan I have is as follows...

8:00am, (when I get up) - Low carb protein shake

10:00am (morning tea break) - Porridge

13:00 (lunch break) - Apple, orange, banana, kiwi, pear (3 or 4 of that list)

15:00 (afternoon tea break) - flapjack bar

18:00 - Proper dinner, fish/chicken, some veg, maybe potatoes.

20:00 - Another low carb protein shake (or the high carb one if I'm just back from the gym).

Thoughts?

I'm starting to realise how awful my diet is after reading all this stuff. I used to be able to get away with eating anything but I'm no spring chicken now and I've started to put a bit of timber on.

Last edited:
I don't struggle that much with hunger, for a while I used to eat less! Had porridge, then fruit at lunch, then dinner at 6ish. Nothing at 3 and nothing in the morning til 10. I drink a lot of water, tends to keep hunger at bay.

I don't struggle that much with hunger, for a while I used to eat less! Had porridge, then fruit at lunch, then dinner at 6ish. Nothing at 3 and nothing in the morning til 10. I drink a lot of water, tends to keep hunger at bay.

This is the boat i'm in aswell..

In the morning i'll have my porridge.

Lunchtime i'll have 3/4 peices of fruit.

Dinner usually consists of chicken(sometimes done in sauce or seasoning) with sweetcorn, peas, carrots etc.

I feel as though i'm not eating the right things, perhaps i'm not doing enough cardio to work off the excess fat. I'm currently running 3m a day and doing weights 4 out of 5.

The only issue with my weight training is i do the majority of it during work time(dont ask lol) so its not all done in a block to maximise impact, its spread out through the day unfortnatly i feel this could be having detremental effect.

gken74 said:
Mac,

Where's the gym in town that your looking at?

I'm out in Carnbroe next to Coatbridge and would like to get into some training again as like some others I could do with losing some weight (well loads to be honest) and MMA would be something that'd keep me interested rather than just going to the gym.

Cheers

It's Freestyle Fighters, they're based just off Sauchiehall Street. I'll post up the link to there webstie wehn i get home, it looks pretty good.

I've been on there forums and the guys are really approcaable and seem really open and welcoming. The guy who runs the gym posts on it and he seems like a genuine dude.

thats a brilliant diet plan drphil :)
hopefully you'll ace it with the training regime too :)
btw you guys who do MMA training, how much are you paying? the one im going too on monday is £90 a month

thats a brilliant diet plan drphil :)
hopefully you'll ace it with the training regime too :)
btw you guys who do MMA training, how much are you paying? the one im going too on monday is £90 a month

Holy crap, mine is £30! Although it's a small enough gym, some weights, a rowing machine and a few other bits, not a full gym in that sense. The £30 is basically for the classes. You can pay £7 a class or £30 a month for access to all classes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom