General Movie talk

Our Year

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
sometimes i see things that don't warrant a thread of their own

if a bad idea please delete :)
sr3sn0g.jpg

Every Pixar movie is connected. I explain how, and possibly why. Several months ago, I watched a fun-filled video on Cracked.com that introduced the idea (at least to me) that all of the Pixar movies actually exist within the same universe. Since then, I've obsessed over this concept, working to complete what I call “The Pixar Theory,” a working narrative that ties all of the Pixar movies into one cohesive timeline with a main theme. This theory covers every Pixar production since Toy Story. That includes:

A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Cars
Ratatouille
Wall-E
Up
Toy Story 3
Cars 2
Brave
Monsters University
Every movie is connected and implies major events that influence every single movie.
see link for full story

The Pixar Theory | Jon Negroni

"Sandman is right on top," she states. "I think it could be as rich as the Harry Potter universe.

That's a scary quote & show's what she knows as the Sandman's universe literally blows away the childish "world" of Mr Harry Potter ..

"Sandman is right on top," she states. "I think it could be as rich as the Harry Potter universe.

That's a scary quote & show's what she knows as the Sandman's universe literally blows away the childish "world" of Mr Harry Potter ..

chuckles .. was thinking the same yesterday .. Im sure she has her eyes on Preacher too for similar reasons :facepalm:

She didn't say it could be the next Harry Potter just it could be as rich as. That doesn't point to her thinking Sandman is childish.

She didn't say it could be the next Harry Potter just it could be as rich as. That doesn't point to her thinking Sandman is childish.

Sorry but I didn't find the Harry Potter world very Rich at all, perhaps she meant £££££ because Sandman on film wouldn't be for children, I take it you have read them ?

Sorry but I didn't find the Harry Potter world very Rich at all, perhaps she meant £££££ because Sandman on film wouldn't be for children, I take it you have read them ?

The Harry Potter universe may not appeal to you, but to say it's not rich is a little blinkered. It's an incredibly detailed example of fantasy world building.

The Harry Potter universe may not appeal to you, but to say it's not rich is a little blinkered. It's an incredibly detailed example of fantasy world building.

I have to disagree I am afraid to say its not rich at all & yes I have read the books, but I have no problem with others liking them.

If not Harry Potter, what do you consider to have a rich universe, apart from Sandman that is.

If not Harry Potter, what do you consider to have a rich universe, apart from Sandman that is.

Don't really want to get into this to much I have stated my case & my view & I like my blinkered vision (thank you Todd) but for me Harry Potter was a coming of age story that on the whole was set in one location, throw in an Edith Blyton mystery or two deal with a few coming of age issues like death revenge & forgiveness love hate etc that's harry potter to me...nothing wrong with it but I'd hardly call it rich in its scope or design.

Whom do I consider can write a rich universe are you asking for children or adults because if its adults then there's so much out there try Iain M Banks or The Deverry Cycle by Katharine Kerr just for starters, even the much liked Game of Thrones world is richer & deeper than Harry Potter at Hogwarts or if you like your comics try the Moonshadow graphic novel by J. M. DeMatteis its a coming of age story with a difference.

Wouldn't mind a TV adaptation, but the budget would need to be pretty darn large. Just read them all in a row recently, pure Gaiman genius..

Don't really want to get into this to much I have stated my case & my view & I like my blinkered vision (thank you Todd) but for me Harry Potter was a coming of age story that on the whole was set in one location, throw in an Edith Blyton mystery or two deal with a few coming of age issues like death revenge & forgiveness love hate etc that's harry potter to me...nothing wrong with it but I'd hardly call it rich in its scope or design.

Whom do I consider can write a rich universe are you asking for children or adults because if its adults then there's so much out there try Iain M Banks or The Deverry Cycle by Katharine Kerr just for starters, even the much liked Game of Thrones world is richer & deeper than Harry Potter at Hogwarts or if you like your comics try the Moonshadow graphic novel by J. M. DeMatteis its a coming of age story with a difference.
Fair enough if you don't think the Potter universe isn't at all rich, I think it's as rich as the works of some of the authors you mentioned.

Wouldn't mind a TV adaptation, but the budget would need to be pretty darn large..
I think a TV series would be the best option for Sandman and I don't think the budget would need to be massive. A lot of the stories are intimate and subtle not massive or sweeping.

Oh well, you can't argue with "opinion". ;)

God its like bloody Spanish Inquisition around here sometimes :D

""opinions""

Ursula Le Guin (brief comment - Guardian, February 2004) "good fare for its age group, but stylistically ordinary, imaginatively derivative, and ethically rather mean-spirited"

A.S. Byatt (New York Times/IHT, July, 2003) attempts to explain why Harry Potter has been so popular with adults. (Warning: includes some psychoanalysis.)

Harry Potter criticism (literary and secular)

God its like bloody Spanish Inquisition around here sometimes :D

""opinions""

Ursula Le Guin (brief comment - Guardian, February 2004) "good fare for its age group, but stylistically ordinary, imaginatively derivative, and ethically rather mean-spirited"

A.S. Byatt (New York Times/IHT, July, 2003) attempts to explain why Harry Potter has been so popular with adults. (Warning: includes some psychoanalysis.)

Harry Potter criticism (literary and secular)
I didn't think you followed other peoples opinions and encouraged people to make up their own minds. In the Man of Steel thread, you're amongst the group urging people to ignore the overwhelmingly negative reviews provided by critics; yet here you are willing to accept negative critiques of the Harry Potter books. I don't normally read childrens literature but I read HP as part of an agreement with my kids. I didn't particularly, enjoy the experience and I happen to agree with some of those comments, the writing style is a little simplistic, for example and it is derivative. However I still think the universe has a degree of richness.

I didn't think you followed other peoples opinions and encouraged people to make up their own minds. In the Man of Steel thread, you're amongst the group urging people to ignore the overwhelmingly negative reviews provided by critics; yet here you are willing to accept negative critiques of the Harry Potter books. I don't normally read childrens literature but I read HP as part of an agreement with my kids. I didn't particularly, enjoy the experience and I happen to agree with some of those comments, the writing style is a little simplistic, for example and it is derivative. However I still think the universe has a degree of richness.

Have you watched MoS yet or just going by critics reviews and thread posts ?

Have you watched MoS yet or just going by critics reviews and thread posts ?
The plan was to go and watch it last Wednesday, it being Orange wednesday, but my sister came round and we had an impromtu barbecue instead. It's on my to watch list together with Pacific Rim and WW Z but I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to sit in the dark for upto 3 hours with all this nice weather. Who knows how long it will last and when we'll see it again.

The plan was to go and watch it last Wednesday, it being Orange wednesday, but my sister came round and we had an impromtu barbecue instead. It's on my to watch list together with Pacific Rim and WW Z but I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to sit in the dark for upto 3 hours with all this nice weather. Who knows how long it will last and when we'll see it again.

Sounds lime my wife ( no offence ) I'd much rather be in a dark AC cinema away all this Sun but the BBQ swings it as always.PR is my next target if work gives me the time to watch it as the reviews and forum talk are mostly positive. Embarrassed to say missed wwz through to much work :blush: wish we had all the big releases winter time when I have more time off.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom