general lens to get me started canon 350d

bigtodski

Standard Member
just got a canon 350d body only so i just need a memory card i can sort that one on my own but i need some advice on a lens for it.

it will be used for general use
pics of the kids , dog , fish tank , outside pictures of buildings , rivers , landscape

i am just after some thing to learn with for now .

i know this is a bit vague but im just not sure what to get im looking at the standard lens the 18 - 55 is would be this the best option for now

cheers bigtodski

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
just got a canon 350d body only so i just need a memory card i can sort that one on my own but i need some advice on a lens for it.

it will be used for general use
pics of the kids , dog , fish tank , outside pictures of buildings , rivers , landscape

i am just after some thing to learn with for now .

i know this is a bit vague but im just not sure what to get im looking at the standard lens the 18 - 55 is would be this the best option for now

cheers bigtodski

18-55 should be fine for now - unless you use flash indoors with kids etc. it may not be fast enough so might be better to think about getting a replacement/supplement for the pop-up flash instead of a lens ?.

Jim

bigtodski

Standard Member
thanks jim
so the 18 -55 will be fine and just get a new flash do i need to look for anything in particular i take it the inbuilt one is not to clever then

bigtodskii

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
thanks jim
so the 18 -55 will be fine and just get a new flash do i need to look for anything in particular i take it the inbuilt one is not to clever then

bigtodskii

Inbuilt flash will be fine - up to a point - as the distance to subject increases it may run out of power unless you use higher ISO settings.

Regarding what to look for all you really need to worry about for basic flash use is that it's Canon compatible :D - and prefereably offers tilt/swivel (allows you to bounce the flash off ceilg/wall for indirect lighting) and some form of zoom range adjustment - also being able to manually set power levels can be helpfull later on.

Might be an idea to buy a flash diffuser if going to use "head on"

Something like this should be fine to get on with :-

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/67557/show.html

Jim

senu

Distinguished Member
thanks jim

bigtodskii
Depends how much you have for the lens .. If you must go for the 18-55,
Pls get the newer Canon 18-55 with IS the bog standard one without is really not that good :suicide:, although it is usable
The Built in flash is handy but once you've used an external one you will almost never use it again. not just to do with power , it tends to produce harsh shadows
You can wait a bit or get a more affordable Jesops Canon fit one bu tthe Canon Speedlights are the bees knees

senu

Distinguished Member
How about the tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc. Amazing lens and great value for money.

Totally agree but at a cost.. definitely one to consider if affordble

RobDickinson

In order of price and quality:

18-55 non IS - kit lens, poor.
18-55 IS - kit lens OK
Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM - better than the kit lens by a fair way.
Sigma 17-70 OS - decent range, not constant f2.8
Tamron 17-50f2.8 (non VC!) great optics
Sigma 17-50f2.8 OS HSM great optics, build and image stabilisation
Canon 15-85 - not constant f2.8 but great lens
Canon 17-55f2.8 IS

Theres also canons 18-135 and 18-200 too but these are average at best.
(note avoid the 17-85!)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom