1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General info about LCD TV's and the Sony KLV-L23M1

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by one_one, Jun 20, 2005.

1. one_one

one_one
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, my brother recently got the Sony KLV-L23M1 23" widescreen TV. However the picture when watching noraml TV i.e just normal terrestrial TV through an areil is quite bad, it appears kinda liney and quit blocky at times? The picture on my normal crt 24" tv is better?

Is this normal for LCD's? is it just cause the LCD has a much higher resolution than normal CRT televisions? If so what is the advatnage of haveing an LCD televsion?

SOme general information about this would be very helpful! Thanks in advance.

2. one_one

one_one
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?!?

3. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    If you scan through some threads you'll pretty much find the answers.

Not great for analogue viewing, very revealing of the source I guess.

Realy come into their own with DVD, Higher Definition sources (HD), Next Gen Consoles :)

4. Theresa

Theresa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, :hiya:

Sorry this reply won't be much help. You and I are in the same position asking for responses and not getting them!

This is the TV I was considering for my daughter. Another user posted that he sent the TV back because the picture quality was terrible using a sender.

This TV has been awarded a best buy by about 3 of the magazines. Could it be the connections? Then again it maybe that the TV is at its best using Sky, DVD's and game play; but it does seem very odd that it was given a best buy if analogue viewing is so bad?

Theresa

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Analogue viewing on an LCD will just be plain bad I'm afraid - I'd be surprised (and a bit disappointed) if review magazines considered it too much in their scores. My Sony KLV26HG2 looks especially bad on analogue sources due to overzealous noise reduction, but all of the other inputs look fantastic.

It makes you wonder why they still make them with analogue tuners...

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Some LCD's can display a very respectable picture when presented with a poor quality source. Try adjusting sharpness and fiddling with the respective processing options. I would not expect to see 'blocky' being used to describe the picture from an analogue source so it sounds like something is not quite optimal. It is possible that the picture is being 'over processed' which leads to the issues that you are seeing. But it would be true to say that it is quite likely that a CRT would give a better picture for less clean sources.

-Ian