1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Help/Advice on install & AE700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by 1ofaKind, Oct 14, 2004.

1. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I’m looking for help, viewpoints, guidance on the following. I am having building work done and my cinema/office room will be approximately 14-15” x 9” wide. I am to have the kit at one end of the room and the PJ at the other. The aim is to have a new rack with all the kit including a widescreen TV (which I have already) and then a manual pull down screen above. This seems the best of both worlds in my eyes (electric screen seems an expensive when I can just get off my lazy behind :D and pull the screen down – or are there hidden benefits I am missing here?). I am looking at the AE700 but am open to suggestions for other projectors. I have been considering plasma (and still am I change my mind like the wind ;)) but a HD plasma is going to run close to the 4k mark with warranty stand etc. (so new DVD/Scaler/AMP is gonna be 6k+ :O). So if a PJ gives me best of both worlds (with my TV) then I will be a happy bunny.

I already have the following equipment:-

AMP- Denon 3802 (no up conversion or audio delay (afaik)). Am seriously considering moving to a 3805 so I can put all the stuff into this and convert to component. It also has the benefit of audio delay. Now! Is this a good idea or am I better off spending a similar amount of money on a scaler? Is audio delay an issue with projectors - tbh I haven't seen any problems on my friends 6 series panny so..

DVD – Pioneer 606D – This is an old DVD player (around 5 years) but has served me well. Its multi region but it is an American player not a chipped/modded UK player. It has S-video and component outputs (but its not progressive scan). I have been considering Denon 3910 as its HDMI/DVI and has up scaling abilities and can also link to the Denon Amp quite nicely (3805), I am drawn to this because of the up scaling abilities and it seems to have a top notch feature set but again am I better advised using the old DVD into a scaler? However having read potential DVI problems with a Panasonic plasma would I suffer the same problem with a projector? Do I need progressive scan capable player?

Consoles & PC. My PC has DVI & VGA outputs so this should not be a problem. The consoles can be routed through the Amp or scaler I would presume.

Aims for the projector: - Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, DVD Movies & PC usage. I’m not bothered about TV at the moment as I can use the TV for that anyway and I don’t fancy a 6ft Dot Cotton on my screen :D. I may solve this at a later date by adding a DVD recorder (Sony or Panasonic) but not too sure atm.

Given the room size and that I will be ceiling mounting (or a shelf at the back of the room) what are people’s recommendations for screen size?

Apart from the cleaning which I’ve read about and replacement lamps every so many hours are there any other maintenance/worries I should be aware of?

Whilst the building work is being done I am going to run cables through the ceiling. I am currently looking at say 8m component run and 8m HDMI / DVI run. I know the AE700 has a HDMI port but am I better running DVI and using an adaptor or run HDMI cable direct (can you convert HDMI to DVI? It carries audio aswell I understand). The PC will near the projector so I can run a VGA cable to deal with that.

And finally can anyone recommend a dealer with decent demo facilities in the Midlands (I am in the Coventry area) - I don't mind travelling too far (probably 70-80 miles I would have said maximum). I know Avland according to their web site have are not too far away and have a AE700 in their demo room and I will be contacting them but it’s always best to see as many different setups as possible before committing.

Many thanks.

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    opps i posted in wrong thread :eek:

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A few small comments on your post:

1) Audio delay is not normally a problem with projectors per se, it usually comes about for example using an external scaler like an iScan which delays the video by the time it takes to resize/whatever and so the audio needs a similar delay.

2) An HDMI-equipped display can be fed from a DVI source, the other way round sometimes is problematic. My personal preference is for a DVI->HDMI cable rather than using an adaptor, simply to minimise the number of components, and therefor connection points, in the chain.

3) The combination of the 3910 and 3805 will be a tasty one. :thumbsup:

4) Not sure what the DVI problems are you're referring to.

5) While an external scaler like an iScan HD will probably vastly improve your existing player, bear in mind that AFAIK at present it's not HDMI-equipped, only DVI, that may be a limiting factor in the future unless there's an upgrade path for it. I could be wrong here, I looked at one when the HDs first came out, maybe things have changed by now.

Ultimately I guess it depends on how good the scaler in the 3910 is and whether any inferiority is worth it for the other benefits the 3910 will give you over the 606 you have now .. or maybe that in the AE700 is very good, I've no idea what processor it contains.

6) The screen-size will be determined by the projector's throw really, with the room size being the ultimate limiter. Figure out how far back the pj is and use the throw-distance chart to give you the range of screen sizes, generally people going for a pj over, say, a plasma, believe 'bigger is better' .. I know I do. :D

Hope something here helps. :)

4. joffonon

joffonon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Blimey, that's small. Or did you mean feet rather than inches? :)

5. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :laugh: regarding the size doh! Should have gone metric ;)

Thanks for the reply Kragorn much appreciated. :smashin:

Regarding the issue of the DVD player I had posted this in the plasma forum whilst gaining information on HD plasma.

I posted the following.

I have read in the DVD players section that the new Denon 3910 which has scaling abilities only scales up when using HDMI or DVI. So am I right in saying that if you try to scale a R1(NTSC) DVD it will work fine into a DVI connection on a HD Panny 6 but not work if you try to scale a R2(PAL) DVD?

And the reply was from Liam @ Prog AV

1ofakind - if what the pdf file says about the DVI and HDMI cards is true then no the Panasonic will not recognize a PAL disc upconverted to 720p. (the Pioneer MXE will not recognise the signal at all) You don't use a off-board scaler though, you simply run at 576p or 480p HDMI and let the Panasonic scale. I can't imagine there will be much difference at all between the Denon's scaling and the Panasonics, and given the Panny must scale the signal anyway (to the exact res of the plasma), technically you shouldn't be rescaling the image in the DVD player at all since you are only adding to the risk of scaling artefacts by going over the process twice.

HDTV will still be a problem with the DVI and HDMI cards if 720p material is recorded at 50Hz. But with DVD there is no disadvantage at sending the normal DVD resolution unless the DVD player happens to have a very good scaler

So....

If I am understanding correctly a 3910 upscaleing an image from 576p to 720p will be outputting at 50hz (pal) but the DVI input expects (60hz). So if this is correct does this affect a PJ in the same way and if so then surely the only way to get HD is to use a fancy scaler that can change the output to 60?

I suppose if I can find a demo with this setup it would be great, not sure of the chances of this though. 3850 fair enough I buy it. AE700 fair enough I buy it. I'd be peeved if I bought a 3910 and couldn't upscale - whilst it may be a mighty fine player I'm sure my old warhorse would be okay and I'd be 800 quid better off :cool: - I dunno perhaps I'm trying to hard to run before I can walk.