1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General HDTV/Plasma question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gareth78, Nov 25, 2004.

1. gareth78

gareth78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, i am hoping someone can explain something to me regarding HD TV's. i am looking to buy a new TV (Panasonic TH42PE30) this is stated as 720p and 1080i, the idea is to buy a US xbox and play games through HD, what confuses me is that the pixels are only 852 x 480, if this was true 1080i then wouldn't the pixels be ? x 1080 or is this pretty normal for the pixels to be less than its HD capacity? Many thanks!

2. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might have opened a can of worm here. The last time someone asked a similar question it led to a 90000 page thread.

This plasma does not accept 720P which is what is likely to be used as HD format within Europe.

It will accept 1080i but the the signal would have to be scaled down to fit the screen. There is however, no plasma in this country that can show 1080i without down scaling.

Many plasmas do accept 720P and some can show this signal in all it's glory without any down scaling.