1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General HDD/VR recording question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FlossLUC, Sep 8, 2004.

1. FlossLUC

FlossLUC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

We are in the market for a standalone DVD recorder. We are looking at units with a buit in harddrive. What we are hoping to achive with this unit is to record content to HDD from tv edit out the ads so we just have the programme itself burn to DVD-R so people can view the disc on standard DVD players. I know all about the DVD-R DVD+R some will work in some standalones and some wont. Its just Im abit confused about the whole VR recording mode, I was looking at LG RH4820W DVD but as far as I could work out it would only let you record to the HDD in VR format then you can do all your editing but then only burn from the HDD to DVD-RW in VR mode which wont work on standalone DVD players. Is the Panasonic DMR-E100HGNS the same as this or will it allow you to burn the edited material to a DVD-R disc in a format (not VR) that will play in a standard DVD player?? Also can you cut between two different sources and make them into one DVD example if you record a programme that is 1hr long called #1 to the HDD. Then you record another programme that is 1hr long called #2 to the HDD. Then you split each recording in half #1-1, #1-2 and #2-1, #2-2. Then can we reassemble it in this order #1-1, #2-1, #1-2, #2-2 then burn it to a DVD not using the VR mode that will work in a DVD player???? I hope this make sense. Any help or comments would be really appereciated. I thought I was all under control but I just got very confused when I started to read about the VR mode, I just want a disc that will work in a DVD player.

Thanks,
    Gareth

2. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All HD recorder wil do what you want. Different models/makes will do it differently but the end result will meet your requirement.

See my other post regarding LG 4820W (feedbacks).

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You can do what you want on the Pioneer x20 machines. Here is what I've found so far:

You can edit all material on the HDD and remove start and end sections (Divide and Delete unwanted bit) and also intervening stuff you don't want (Erase Section). According to the properties of the result the following basic rules apply:

1. If the edited result contains ONLY Wide Screen material recorded in LP mode it cannot be copied at high speed, only in real time. You get about 4hrs Video mode per DVD-R in LP mode. Customised chapter marks are NOT preserved, but you can have automatic chapter marks set at 10 or 15 minutes, or not at all.

2. As (1), but recorded in SP mode: You should be able to copy to DVD-R video at high speed, giving approx 2 hrs per DVD. You can improve this slightly to 2hrs 20mins by using Pioneer Manual-19 mode. Customised chapter marks are preserved.

3. If the edited result contains ONLY 4:3 aspect ratio material you can copy it to DVD video mode at high speed. Customised chapter marks are preserved.

You can change the sampling rate during copying (only in real-time mode).
    For example you could make a 3 hour SP program just fit a 2 hr DVD; this would mean marginal loss of quality but I doubt if you'd notice.
    Obviously there is no point in 'extending' a 3hr LP recording to fit a 2hr DVD (4hrs-worth of LP mode), as you cannot improve the recorded quality to something better by causing it to use more disk space.

The various combinations are probably a subject for a separate thread.

Obviously all copies have to abide by Copyright rules.

You can download the combined 420/520/720 manual here: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/support_manuals.jsp?category=support/manuals
    Click the database link then search for 420 on the pop-up.