1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General DVD Recorder Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Danktuft, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Danktuft

Danktuft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try not to laugh out loud at this question because I am new at this. I have a Panasonic DMR--E85H and would like to know if there is any way I can make it automatically change channels on my Sky box for me when recording. I suspect the answer is no but would like to know for sure. Thanks people for any info.

2. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't know the Panasonic, but if it can't do what you ask, then you probably know that as a second best you can use the Sky autoview facility.

3. Danktuft

Danktuft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan,

Thanks for that, I had sussed that bit out but it's just one more thing to go wrong eh? Do you mean that it is possible on some recorders? I've been trying to suss out in my head how it would be done, the recorder would have to have a list of all the Sky channels to be able to tell the Sky box which one to change to. I don't think that the recorder has downloaded them although it has done the terrestial ones.

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On my Toshiba XS24 there is a 'magic eye' cabled attachment. When the timer is set, the number of the Sky channel is entered, at the appropriate time the Tosh sends out the infra red channel number to the Sky box. I find it works very well.

5. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    Whats this please

6. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Sky box's inbuilt timer facility. You pick your programmes then select Autoview with the red button. They will then auto change as the time comes without further intervention from the viewer.

So doing this, plus setting your recorder to enough time to cover all the progs, you'd end up with them all recorded. 'Course, with a DVD recorder you'd be starting to lose quality when you go beyond two hours, but that's another question.

Oh, and sadly, Autoview was never included with Sky+, only the normal digiboxes.

Regards

Mark

7. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    B*gger :eek: , thats why I couldn't find it.

8. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    You really don't need it with Sky+ though, coz you can just record whatever you want and archive later ;)

9. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    Always running out of space. So, ideally I would like to be able to record some Sky direct to my Panny E500, Especially stuff I am going to burn to disc anyway.