General Digital Camera Questions.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Garrett, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,088
    If you down load your pictures on to the computer, then burn them to a CD or DVD can the disc be then used to have photos made off what on the disc, and would it be the same price as of a memory card?

Also once a picture has been down loaded on to a PC, for say cropping etc can it be uploaded back on to the cameras memory card?

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Yes you can use a CD to get prints from. My daughter has done this at Boots several times, safer than trusting them with your memory card.

No problem with putting files back onto the camera, but some need to have them in a folder, which is self-evident when you load them from the PC, if you want to view them on the camera.

A good method is using a USB memory card reader/writer so the memory is like an external drive.

3. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price (In Jessops anyway) is exactly the same as off a mem card and uses precisely the same process. Definitely the thing to do, just get a nice catalogue of Cds going, so space efficeint!

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,088
    Can the size of the files be any size to be printed from or are thy restricted?

5. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most machines in Jessops prefer JPEGS but will generally also be ok with TIFs. The file size is essentially irrelevant as far as I can tell, and have had people priniting off files recorded at 8megapixel (about 3.5mb each) no problemo at all.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    A couple of things to add to the above posts:

1. I have heard of some retailers not being able to do prints from a CD, so check before you take the CD along to the shop. I would not expect many retailers to be able to read the files from DVD's, but have never tried so can't be sure of that.

2. Not all memory card readers are able to write back to the card as they are read only. This is mainly the older or cheaper readers, but check the packaging to make sure it says read & write. Also make sure they are put back into the correct directory structure and correct file name, otherwise as StevieDvd said the camera may not be able to display them.

Mark.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,088
    Next question, how imperative is steady shoot when taking max zoom pictures?

I have a 210mm lens on my old SLR camera and it has never been an issue although I suppose having a long lens and holding at the end does give some steadiness.

8. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most cameras with big zooms offer some sort of steady shot. They will however only compensate for small movement. Depending on the subject I find anything over 6x optical (about 210mm) requires a tripod for consistent results. I have used several cameras with big zooms, but find that I very rarely explore the upper ranges as subjects become to fiddly to keep in frame.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,088
    How does digital compare with film with regards to quality?

Reason I had my cousin round at the house and he took some pictures of the family and e-mailed them to me and they were pretty sharp but on getting mine developed and scanning them found they where no way as sharp. I do not know what is camera was but it was only pocket size (will have to ask him what it was). Anyway the camera is a Canon AE1, but the film was coming to the end of its shelf life, also I noticed some scratches on the prints so could it have been bad developers?

10. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does of course depend on the scanner you use - that probably has the biggest bearing on the quality of the picture on your PC screen.

My personnal findings are that digital pictures direct from a digital camera are usually sharper and brighter than a scanned image when viewed on a PC screen.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,088
    I scanned the print in at a reasonable resolution and the negative in at 9600. The film I used was the lowest speed you can get. Years ago I use to use slide films and they scan in a real treat I think they were 25 ASA.

12. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I've just gon digital with a Canon 300D. I previously used an old Canon T80 of the AE1 era.

The results are stunning compared to analogue. You can even change the ISO setting for differant pics...start on 100, and change to 400 when the clouds come over for example.
    No more scanners, instant pictures on you TV or computer, chuck em onto CD or DVD, slideshows a doddle...best grand spent since the Sony VA555ES.... :smashin: