General cricket chat

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't see anything like this on a quick browse on the app

So a couple of enthral long ODI's between England and New Zealand but the talking point today has got to be the duckworth Lewis method. A seemingly insurmountable NZ lead was looking on until the rain came. Half hour shower meant reducing England's 50 overs to 46 and requiring us to hit 34 off 13 balls

So prior to the rain we needed 9 an over, after the rain we need over 15!

We all know the rules so I'm not stating this due to thinking England were hard done by merely that D/L in general is just out of date

In this day and age of full floodlights why can't we just play those last 4 overs, barely another 10 minutes would have been needed

Didn't see anything like this on a quick browse on the app

So a couple of enthral long ODI's between England and New Zealand but the talking point today has got to be the duckworth Lewis method. A seemingly insurmountable NZ lead was looking on until the rain came. Half hour shower meant reducing England's 50 overs to 46 and requiring us to hit 34 off 13 balls

So prior to the rain we needed 9 an over, after the rain we need over 15!

We all know the rules so I'm not stating this due to thinking England were hard done by merely that D/L in general is just out of date

In this day and age of full floodlights why can't we just play those last 4 overs, barely another 10 minutes would have been needed

It's difficult, there's no perfect system, every one that's ever been used has had its flaws. Pity the rain ruined what was shaping up to be a great finale, I think Plunkett and Rashid would have pulled it off.

The ICC insist on playing regulations around latest finishing times etc, ironically its primarily to minimise the risk of corruption i.e. match fixing.
Also there are licensing and police considerations as well: imagine trying to arrange overtime for hundreds of officers 'on the hoof'.

After a dull 4 days in a very flat pitch the last few hours were quite entertaining!

After a dull 4 days in a very flat pitch the last few hours were quite entertaining!

It was. Pity England couldn't finish it off. Credit to the spinners after the difficult first innings showing, particularly Rashid. Cook's captaincy was excellent again.

The pitch was so slow at the end it was almost impossible for the batsmen to hit any boundaries in the run chase. Could be a missed opportunity as Pakistan will be back to full strength in the next match.

Any thoughts on the squad https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...3TGqsKTV92K7CXLwQ&sig2=guJarNYQxsYDmLdNHK-YLA for the South Africa tour? Can't help thinking that's the end of Bell's career, but picking Compton seems like a backward step. Also I'm not convinced that Ballance has had time to iron out his (pretty obvious) technical deficiencies.
Omitting Rashid and retaining Patel also seems very negative. The one positive (for me) is the inclusion of Footit, though I'd like to see Willey or Topley given a go as well.

Wow: what a performance by Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow. Stokes was simply imperious.

Sadly, also RIP Matthew Hobden.

Loads of records broken;

Second fastest double hundred
Highest 6th wicket partnership of all time
Second highest England partnership of all time
Highest score by a no.6

Loads of records broken;

Second fastest double hundred
Highest 6th wicket partnership of all time
Second highest England partnership of all time
Highest score by a no.6
That's 2 records.

So its World T20 time

Yesterday through up a bit of a shock, New Zealand looked like they had posted a low total against India which would be easy to chase, only to see India collapse massively and be bowled out

Bangladesh V pakistan on now with England in action this afternoon

Looking forward to the England game, two evenly matched sides, could go either way.

That pitch the Indians produced yesterday bit them on the backside big time.

didnt do too bad with the bat but Gayle is utterly imperious when on form

Didn't do too much wrong with the ball, not much you can do when Gayle bats like that. 17 T20 hundreds now!

Anyone watch the South Africa v England game this afternoon?
Was brilliant batting from both sides, really didn't think England would chase down that score but it was great and so close come the last couple of overs!
20/20 is the only real form of cricket that I like and this game was the best I have seen so far in the tournament :cool:

I do hope India don't make it out of the group. It's farcical the pitches they are preparing for themselves. Their we can't bat so we'll make sure no one else can approach stinks. It was pathetic watching Pakistan trying to hit the ball.

If India do go out then I think England have an excellent chance of winning if we can bat second. Hopefully they'll give Plunkett a bowl as he can't do any worse than one or two of the others.

India played badly and should have lost to Bangladesh today, but amazingly won by a single run on the last ball! If they replace one of the openers with Rahane I think their batting will come together.

It's farcical the pitches they are preparing for themselves. Their we can't bat so we'll make sure no one else can approach stinks.

This is a ridiculous comment to make. They've struggled on the pitch just as much as their competition. They struggled to get both their wins, both Bangladesh and Pakistan were in winning positions. Not to mention were beaten well by New Zealand.
It's certainly made the matches more interesting, it got boring when the games consistently favoured batsman. Seems more balanced to me now.

Favourites for me are New Zealand, but it's very unpredictable.

This is a ridiculous comment to make. They've struggled on the pitch just as much as their competition. They struggled to get both their wins, both Bangladesh and Pakistan were in winning positions. Not to mention were beaten well by New Zealand.
It's certainly made the matches more interesting, it got boring when the games consistently favoured batsman. Seems more balanced to me now.

Favourites for me are New Zealand, but it's very unpredictable.
And I disagree. I don't think India's batting is as good as some of the others so making pitches that turn square gives them more a chance. I'd rather watch a player like Gayle smash us out of the park than watch batsmen struggle to hit the ball.

The very mention of Gayle says it all, never had an issue playing their, he's been smashing it all over the park in India since the 20 over game began. In my experience the losers are the only ones who complain about the pitch, everyone knows and has done for decades the typical wicket in India sometimes favours batsman and spin bowlers (I presume regonal climate is factor). So teams should select players based on the wicket i.e. don't stick 4 fast bowlers on, where spinners would be more effective.

Trial by spin for England today. Going to be tough to post a decent score based on these opening overs.

Good score that, great knock from Buttler. Down to the bowlers now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom