General cricket chat

During lunch break I was listening to the radio rather than watch it on the telly and caught the end of an interview with Tom Harrison (the cricket board chief exec). He was waffling about there being a need to reset red ball cricket and sort racism etc out.

When it went back to the pundits, they all said that this would have been fine if he'd only been in the job for a short while, but he's been in the job for years and all of these points have been known about for years.
Lip service.
We would have better leadership/ responsibility from the PG Tips Chimps. 🙉

During lunch break I was listening to the radio rather than watch it on the telly and caught the end of an interview with Tom Harrison (the cricket board chief exec). He was waffling about there being a need to reset red ball cricket and sort racism etc out.

When it went back to the pundits, they all said that this would have been fine if he'd only been in the job for a short while, but he's been in the job for years and all of these points have been known about for years.

Just read his interview on the BBC website. Jeez he looks and sounds like any corporate suit clone. Buzzwords, apologies, "wait for the review", basically trying to pretend he has ideas other than to tweak the County Championship slightly and then do the same thing over again.
On the brightside England can legitimately say they are the world's number one The 100 team. 20/20 has been a thing for over a decade now. Wasn't that supposed to be the key to a younger more diverse audience?

Where is that audience and the new streams of talent that came with it?

Last edited:
20/20 has been a thing for over a decade now. Wasn't that supposed to be the key to a younger more diverse audience?

Where is that audience and the new streams of talent that came with it?
To be fair there is plenty of T20 talent in England.

The 2nd XI England T20 would give anyone a good match.

So even when we get a decent start at batting, we can't take advantage of it..... just the same as our bowling performances really.

Looking at our squad, I think only Root would stand a chance of getting in the current Aussie team which speaks volumes I think.

That's about right. Root would score tons against our attack, sure Head has played well but Root is different class.
It is a good thing we have been blown out of the water in this session. If we had somehow got through it & won a 3 - 1 series score would have put a respectable sheen so undeserved.
I look forward to the sweeping reforms promised & am confident that our next visit to Aus will be a resounding success. Bravo!

In a masochistic way i’m glad that happened, because if England got even close to nicking that test then the ECB could delude themselves that there really wasn’t much wrong.

At least its over.
Shocking performance....

Poor, poor, poor, performance.

I felt quite optimistic when I woke up this morning, but the frequency of the BBC sport notifications on my phone soon put paid to that :(

With a captain who insists lessons are being learned and a coach who refuses to change anything, we now have the inevitable result, best summed up by this quote from BBC Sport:

"The tail competed to find the worst way to get out, each stroke more ridiculous than the last to hasten the beginning of Australia's celebrations."

Is there anyone in authority who has the guts to sack everyone associated with this embarrassing mess?

The coaching team all has to go - 4 consecutive series defats if you include India in the summer.

What’s more difficult is the players - there’s no one coming through, and at the same time most of the younger players are regressing after decent starts to their careers

With a captain who insists lessons are being learned and a coach who refuses to change anything, we now have the inevitable result, best summed up by this quote from BBC Sport:

"The tail competed to find the worst way to get out, each stroke more ridiculous than the last to hasten the beginning of Australia's celebrations."

Is there anyone in authority who has the guts to sack everyone associated with this embarrassing mess?

I’m sure it’s very nice to “focus on the positives” as is the norm in Rootspeak. But now frankly fudge that it’s time to focus on the negatives, of which there are many. The glass it ain’t full Joe it’s 95% empty.

Get rid of the coaching team. The medical team especially. As to the players who exactly is there to bring in? Archer is as likely to be injured as take a wicket. Hameed is just two seasons away from averaging 9.4 in First Class cricket. And for the sake of all fudge select bowlers to be bowlers, not because they can score 20-30 runs. If you don’t trust your batsmen to score heavilly enough then change the batsmen. It’s pretty meaningless if Woakes scores 40 runs in a match but takes 2-95.

The Aussies and Kiwis look like athletes. Jack Leach probably couldn’t punch out a wet toilet roll. Rory Burns moves with all the grace of a geriatric snail trying to climb an icy steep hill. Taking into account his £600k central contract I make that at just a clip over £1000 per run over the last year. Nice work if you can get it. The ability t do the work well entirely optional.

Last edited:
I've just seen Root's dismal. Wow that was a freakishly low bounce.

I've just seen Root's dismal. Wow that was a freakishly low bounce.
Yes, that was very unlucky, but it doesn't excuse all the other mistakes he's made on the tour, just as winning today would have meant all is well with the England Test side. :lesson:

More positives: that opening partnership between Burns and Crawley ensured that the England series average 1st wicket partnership at last overtook the Australian 10th wicket partnership average. :clap:

I think you judge a good Test-playing side on what they achieve abroad - there's the travel, the food, the climate and the local conditions to contend with.

It's easy to look good at home as the conditions tend to favour you - with us it's the seaming, moving ball with late swing. The only other side that are used to this seems to be the Kiwis.

I'm not particularly interested in either the One Day game nor T20; it's Test cricket which is the pinnacle of the sport, in my view, and though we do have some good players we are an average Test team.

So even when we get a decent start at batting, we can't take advantage of it..... just the same as our bowling performances really.

Looking at our squad, I think only Root would stand a chance of getting in the current Aussie team which speaks volumes I think.
Foakes would probably get into the Australian team.

Interesting suggestion from Aggers about how to reshape domestic cricket - very radical though, can’t see anything like this happening

I'm currently reading Bumble's autobiography and in there he's saying that County Cricket needs to be changed for the sake of "proper cricket" and he wrote that back in 2015ish. He was suggesting making it 3 leagues and also that T20 starts off first, then during the longer Summer days County Cricket takes over and then T20 finishes off after the County league stuff has finished.

I'm currently reading Bumble's autobiography and in there he's saying that County Cricket needs to be changed for the sake of "proper cricket" and he wrote that back in 2015ish. He was suggesting making it 3 leagues and also that T20 starts off first, then during the longer Summer days County Cricket takes over and then T20 finishes off after the County league stuff has finished.
I've been meaning to read that are you enjoying it?
That would make a lot of sense such changes, but I really can't imagine the counties buying into it.
Hardly anyone attends County matches but fans tend to flock to T20 games.
I m not into this 100 nonsense at all, it is just another nail into Test Cricket & the
' its cricket... but not cricket' tag line.

Note to self must buy Bumble’s autobiography.

He has a point, but in the era of instant gratification, t20 and the 100 are always going to attract more people to watch it. People want things now, boom, 4 hours, result, I can go home now.

I’m 54 and have been watching test cricket for a long number of years. I dip in to t20 and tried the 100 (which was awful), but I’m quite happy to plonk myself on the couch and not move for the duration of a test match. The younger generation don’t seem to want that.

Players of this generation also don’t seem to have the capacity to drag out a long innings, they want to play shots, not tire out the bowlers and take the sting out the new ball.

I honestly don’t know where the ECB go from here.

Note to self must buy Bumble’s autobiography.

He has a point, but in the era of instant gratification, t20 and the 100 are always going to attract more people to watch it. People want things now, boom, 4 hours, result, I can go home now.

I’m 54 and have been watching test cricket for a long number of years. I dip in to t20 and tried the 100 (which was awful), but I’m quite happy to plonk myself on the couch and not move for the duration of a test match. The younger generation don’t seem to want that.

Players of this generation also don’t seem to have the capacity to drag out a long innings, they want to play shots, not tire out the bowlers and take the sting out the new ball.

I honestly don’t know where the ECB go from here.

Yes I agree about the era of instant gratification.
Bring back the likes of Sir Geoff. He could set his stall out for the day!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom