General Buying Tips

Analysis

Well it's that time of year again and a lot of queries have come on the forums over the past week.

Firstly, It's always best to view a specific model at least 3 times with your own content if this is possible, this way it gives you an idea if it's suitable for your needs in your own mind.

To be honest shops are not the best place though as all the sets are setup in Shop or Vivid Mode, Dodge goes into this in a little more detail in his guides, found below.

I would then take a look at reviews and information found on the net and these forums to make a final conclusion before committing to a purchase.

The only exception to this would be that you are in a situation that you have to return an existing set that's faulty within warranty terms and exchange for a suitable offered replacement, then you can't take a look at beforehand and then have to solely rely on reviews and information found on this site and the net, just make sure you can return it back if not happy when going in blind in these situations.

Sometimes you can actually pay more on certain models, use Pricespy, Idealo, Pricerunner, Pricegrabber, and Camelcamelcamel or Keepa for Amazon to see if a model has been on sale previously for less, the best time is Spring for clearance pricing and this seems to be the most consistent when prices bottom out.

Samsung, Sony revise models over the year since release with minor differences, normally cosmetic, with retailer specific models also cropping up, normally DSG International ones, the best advice is always go with the cheapest model you can find, if in doubt then ask on here and we will try to find out for you.

You can then use the prices quoted to price match with your selected retailer, most of the time you can just e-mail or call the retailer and then they will give you an answer.

Sometimes retailers also offer online only prices which can be at least 25-50% off the in store price, but you will need to buy online & delivery charge or pick up, if you go back to the same site say 5 mins later the price can also increase due to how the site knows who you are via IP address, try and clear your cookies first before returning, this can help sometimes but it can also be by MAC address which unless you clone it then there's nothing you can do.

If you go to the store it most likely won't be the same and some retailers will refuse to match the online price depending on the retailer in question, I've got experience of this.

Also use Top Cashback, HotUKDeals, MoneysavingExpert, Quidco etc for extra savings with discount codes to really hammer out the best deal.

You are now covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations, use a credit card if you have one as this will give you extra protection if things go wrong and try to get as long warranty as you can, normally 3 years is minimum up to 6 years nowadays, warranties have increased over the past few years due to decreased build quality and failure rates so the retailers know this and now offer longer ones.

• One study showed that between 2004 and 2012, the proportion of major household appliances that died within five years rose from 3.5% to 8.3%.(BBC)

It's entirely up to you if you want to take out 3rd party cover insurance, some retailers will try to up sell you these, some policies can cover aspects like Burn in for OLED's, accidential cover etc, but you need to be careful, and read the small print before agreeing.

If an item is unsuitable you do not have a legal right to return it, only in the case of it becoming faulty, and these types of return cases will be handled by the 'returns policy' of each retailer you choose to use, and it's worth looking up this information before committing to the purchase as you may well be stuck with something you do not wish to own.

John Lewis, Richer Sounds and Crampton & Moore seem to be the best for aftersales service from past reviews on here but local retailers who you have a relationship with are sometimes just as good.

EU: Guarantees: repairs, replacements, refunds

UK: Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Which? Consumer Rights

For advice on which model to buy, take a look at Dodge's guides:

My links & guides

My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition

The best time to buy a TV

Determining the panel type of a TV.

Answered - Best 49/50" TV

General Rule: it's always best to wait and go bigger if you can.

I hope this helps and good hunting for those bargains.

Last edited:

Wayfairing Stranger

Always buy online to guarantee your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations, use a credit card if you have one as this will give you extra protection if things go wrong and try to get as long warranty as you can, normally 3 years is minimum up to 6 years nowadays, warranties have increased over the past few years due to decreased build quality and failure rates so the retailers know this and now offer longer ones.
I've seen posts where people have called retailers direct like Richer Sounds, RGB Direct and Crampton & Moore and have been given better offers than shown on the web.

I gave this a try myself with RGB & RS and was offered a better price after quoting this site and various posts. I almost went with a purchase from RS but I had to buy this over the phone and couldn't get the deal if using their website. You say "Always buy online to guarantee your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations" does this also apply to telesales or should I pay £50 more and use their website?

Cheers for the great info.

Dodgexander

I've seen posts where people have called retailers direct like Richer Sounds, RGB Direct and Crampton & Moore and have been given better offers than shown on the web.

I gave this a try myself with RGB & RS and was offered a better price after quoting this site and various posts. I almost went with a purchase from RS but I had to buy this over the phone and couldn't get the deal if using their website. You say "Always buy online to guarantee your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations" does this also apply to telesales or should I pay £50 more and use their website?

It applies to distance selling so as long as you pay remotely and get the TV delivered its fine. I think even if you pay online and collect in the store its okay too but not 100% sure on that @Analysis may know that.

Analysis

I've now amended this as Distance Selling Regulations has now been replaced by Consumer Contracts Regulations and this covers all forms of purchase as far as I can see not just online, my apologies.

Dodgexander

Analysis

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom