General Boxing Chit Chat

I thought he was mad coming back but to comeback and jump in at the deep end without a few low key warm up fights was even madder. That makes me think money was definitely a factor, surely Hatton could have fought a lesser opponent and worked out if he still had it. Who knows after getting rid of the ring rust he might have beaten Senchenko.

Hi,

I too have a feeling that after the defeats to Mayweather & Pacquaio & Ricky's comeback approach was probably more a case of pride over pragmatism - he wanted to prove way too much too quickly & thought by jumping straight in at the deep end, the magic would somehow just comeback.

I know this sounds very cruel but Ricky did not do his body any favours by the toil he put it through when he retired - I fully understand why though - he was in a deep. dark & painful place. Having said that, I really admire the way he does not cherry pick fights, does not duck opponents nor make excuses or blame anyone/anything else. He will always be one of this country's best boxing Champions.

Suave!

^agreed

Hi,

Damn, Marquez has really bulked up for this fight & has got some in the boxing circles wondering.

I see him taking this fight to be honest - he just looks way too strong & a counterpunch from his new form would knock out any fighter including Pacquiao. Only questions are how it affects his speed & stamina over 12 rounds if it goes that far.

Manny should never have taken this fight - if he wins, everyone will say, so what - nothing different to what we have all known on 3 previous occasions & does not exactly elevate Manny further than he already is. It would be an absolute disaster for him if Marquez won though as he will go backwards in my view while Marquez would have been seen to vindicated. Any fight with Mayweather would be even further out of reach than it already is. Bad move Manny & I think Marquez will win this.

Suave!

War Marquez

Flintoff fighting tonight

Cotto tomorrow night

Flintoff looks In great shape now

doesn't get any easier for Pryce second round win

Flintoff wins 39-38 on score cards
After being knocked down in 2nd round

Anyone watching Fury tonight then? I will be if only to hear his inevitable threatening message to Price at the end of the fight, should be comedy gold:laugh:

Would love to see him get in the ring with Price:cool:

Last nights fight with Skelton was as I expected, was never going to he worthwhile that one. Hope he gets a real step up in opponent next time out, needs it now as he isn't gaining much if any experience fighting at domestic level.

Last edited:
Cotto vs trout
Cotto loses ua decision
Cotto hof guy has never ducked a fight
Rated highly
And trout keeps unbeaten record good boxer he is

Strange weekend of action, most notably watching Flintoof in a professional boxing match. The less said from me about that 'fight' the better. I just hope Freddy's got it out of his system and now steps quietly away from the game.

Price did the business in Liverpool, I actually felt this was a decent test for him, simply because he's had hardly any minutes under the belt this year. Skelton tearing across the ring at him in the opening round and also not being KO'd by his first power shot done him good and also allowed Price to flaunt a few more of his well polished skills, most impressively his work to the body. Good win and a step-up against Tony Thompson in Feb should keep him firmly on track. And with Fury doing a decent job against Johnson, a showdown between the two giants remains on course.

As for Cotto's fight last night. Found it all too predictable. Couldn't for the life of me understand why he took the fight in the first place. Trout's defensive work (as well as his hight and reach advantage) was always gonna cause Cotto problems who works best on the inside. Personally, I've never thought he recovered from the beating he took from Margarito and the wars (Pac being a prime example) have just caught up with him.

As for Pac v JMM next week, nothing more than a money fight. It'll likely be identical to their previous fights, with Manny being picked off with the counter, but JMM was poor in his last fight (admittedly so was Manny) and his weight gain may just work into Manny's favour. But with Top Rank refusing to do business with Golden Boy, don't be at all shocked if they wheel this one for a fifth time if it's close.

Last edited:
Yeah 5th time
Cos simply the mayweather Pacman fight ain't happening
Hope i am proven wrong but doubt it highly

Can't believe Eubank Jr is back in the ring again next Saturday, surely that's unheard of(at least these days) two fights within two weeks!

He looked good last night, pity about the showboating but he's got excellent speed, good accuracy and seems to really be able to turn it on when he wants. Seems to show signs of laziness though so hope that doesn't become an issue, I don't think power will be an issue TBH with the slickness that he already has and is developing each contest.

Fury looked decent enough to be fair(and I'm not a fan), better combinations at times but when he showboats after putting one together it's really cringe worthy:rolleyes: Really I wondered why Johnson bothered turning up though, just didn't seem too interested in fighting at all and all together a very boring fight to watch. I do think with Johnson being the static target that he is, tough as old boots or not Price would have put him away had he been in there instead of Fury last night.

Can't believe Eubank Jr is back in the ring again next Saturday, surely that's unheard of(at least these days) two fights within two weeks!

He looked good last night, pity about the showboating but he's got excellent speed, good accuracy and seems to really be able to turn it on when he wants. Seems to show signs of laziness though so hope that doesn't become an issue, I don't think power will be an issue TBH with the slickness that he already has and is developing each contest.

Fury looked decent enough to be fair(and I'm not a fan), better combinations at times but when he showboats after putting one together it's really cringe worthy:rolleyes: Really I wondered why Johnson bothered turning up though, just didn't seem too interested in fighting at all and all together a very boring fight to watch. I do think with Johnson being the static target that he is, tough as old boots or not Price would have put him away had he been in there instead of Fury last night.

Agree with most of that. Though Eubank Jnr seems to lack sufficient power that will be required when/if he steps up in class. Hopefully it's something that he will develop with time. As for the show-boating, it's obviously something he's attempting to borrow from his Dad, but there's no need for him to try and establish himself as 'the bad guy' when he's still cutting his teeth in the game. His name alone will always attract reasonable attention.

Fair comment on Johnson, too. I'd amazed if any heavyweight in the world could stand in front of Price like Johnson did and not hit the floor. As noted above, his body work on Skelton was brutal.

Hi All,

Well, tonights the big night guys - I watched the weigh in & am surprised that despite his bigger bulk, that Marquez came in 4 pounds lighter than Manny. Both of them looked real good but Marquez does look very strong indeed.

I think he might just be hungrier of the two & his team must have planned extremely well for this fight - they will probably employ multiple strategies throughout the fight to break Manny's rhythm - I just see this going Marquez's way even though I am a Manny Fan!

Suave!

War Marquez
Hope he does win tonight but on the same not I hope it's a thriller

Hard to see past JMM on points. It's obvious Manny struggles with his counter-punch ability and I expect to see a similar fight to the one between Cotto and Trout. Manny will go hunting for him, but will get picked off and grow frustrated. I just can't see JMM being dragged into a tow-to-toe war, which is obviously what Manny would be hoping for. I hope Manny wins, but would be somewhat surprised if he did.

As for more domestic action, the Matchroom bill has sadly been ruined by cancellations. An easy night for all, none more so than headliner Barker who is frighteningly superior to Kerry [no] Hope. Good fight between Magee and Kessler though. Although I strongly fancy the Dane to take it.

Great from Barker there, good on him! Hope he gets himself back to another World title shot, after that performance should be well on his way.

Agreed,hope he stays fit,:)

Looked stronger than in the past didn't he? Paired with his already great accuracy he should be a real force. Reminded me more of Froch than Barker at times there.

Looked stronger than in the past didn't he? Paired with his already great accuracy he should be a real force. Reminded me more of Froch than Barker at times there.

Certainly did,think sky hit it on the head FRUSTRATION !!,really hope he stays fit and get another title shot

Felt for Magee there, those were some sickening body shots from Kessler.

Froch v Kessler II next year should be a real barnstormer. I'll be straight in line for tickets for that one.

Felt for Magee there, those were some sickening body shots from Kessler.

Froch v Kessler II next year should be a real barnstormer. I'll be straight in line for tickets for that one.

A proper 50/50 fight :)

I,ll probably regret it,but earlier on i put £20 on marquez to win by ko,tko @8/1,i,m blaming the smirnoff in advance :thumbsup:

I,ll probably regret it,but earlier on i put £20 on marquez to win by ko,tko @8/1,i,m blaming the smirnoff in advance :thumbsup:

I'd say good bet that one. He surely needs a KO if he's finally going to be given his win over Pacquiao, lets face it he must have already given up on a point win by now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom