General Animé DVD Chat

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by NeoBlade, Aug 19, 2002.

1. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully that title is vague enough so as long as its about animé, it'll be on topic ^_-

Animé does have a lot of scope and I don't know where to begin, but feel free to add your own questions and animé suggestions to the mix of course. I'll keep it fresh for now by asking what was your fave animé bought in the last 2 years or so?

For me it has to be Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO) and Cowboy Bebop.

Its been some time since we had a decent vampire flick and the sequel to Vampire Hunter D is well worthy of its title. Plus its a first since the animé was made for an american audience with the english dub as the main language. GTO has to be the best comedy I've seen in years (after Ranma anyway) because its so fresh and is rather blunt when it comes to telling the jokes. Theres even a live-action movie planned...

And as for Cowboy Bebop, since its great success in the USA on Adult Swim and on its DVD release we're going to be welcomed by a movie which should be out in the next few months or so. If you haven't heard of this title before then think of a mix of Lupin III, Macross Plus, a dash of GTO. I can't really recommend these three titles enough and I know I have been stupidly vague with my descriptions >_<

I'm not going to write a short review on these titles (unless asked) because they have been out for a few months now and its rather late ^_^ But I might do so depending on the reation of this animé thread since I don't want to write too much with no replies.

Princess Mononoke is worthy of mentioning as well but then I wanted to add another point...

Do you have access to Sky Digital? Sci-Fi? If so Saiko-TV is on weekly and they show the animés Neon Genesis Evangelion, Nadesico and Blue Gender weekly, folowed by a movie. Last time out it was the classic GunBuster...

So far the reception has been good for this show, however I feel that its a bit too soon for Neon Genesis Evangelion to be shown. Theres no doubt that its probably one of the best animés ever produced but its probably a bit too deep and psychological for the average animé viewer. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you wouldn't use this title to gain animé fans and it might just put off more people because of it.

Anyway thats enough ranting, hopefully we can move this onto the CN farce and talk about a possible Adult Swim section in the UK... Till then I hope more animé fans will voice their opinion on anything ^_^

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To bump this thread back up I'll post this link - www.dvdboxoffice.com since I think its one of the best places to buy animé DVDs as well as R1 film titles. If anyone has more links just post them up ^_^

3. r47463

r47463
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been interested in anime since about 1994 but never a die hard fan like some people. I stuck to the main stream animes like Guyver, Monster City and Ninja Scroll. In the past couple of years my interest has been reborn after watching Dragonball Z. I think I'll have to get that on DVD sometime, although I've only seen the American versions available (I hear a lot is cut from the Jap version). I'm also a big fan of the Urotsukidoji series, I find it a real head trip watching them. Most recently I've watched Akira and Princess Mononoke which I thought were excellent.

Maybe if some experts are reading this they could identify two animes for me:

1. This is quite a recent one involving race car driving. I think it's available on DVD but only with Japanese dialogue. It mixes CG with traditional animation.

2. When I went to France in about 1995 there was an anime on TV, which had two people fighting, and they were getting bigger and bigger in size. I thought it was DBZ but now I'm not sure, my memory's a bit vague now. Possibly the original Dragonball?

4. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya

another anime fan here.

r47463, wild stab in the dark, initial d, not available on r1 afaik yet.

some of my favs include:

cowboy bebop
    irresponsible captain tylor (i know its old)
    rurouni kenshin

ten

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Kenshin[​IMG]
    The Slayers are cool too

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Love Hina

Attached Files:

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol Nice pic there AccursedDelphi. Actually Love Hina is ment to be decent and is up there on my "to get" list, along with the box set of You're Under Arrest! and the Evangelion movies. I think that To Heart is quite similar to Love Hina so you could check that out sometime...

r47463, that animé is indeed Initial D as Ten pointed out. Its been re-mastered so it'll make full use of a 5.1 surround sound setup as well. The North American version of DBZ has indeed been hacked to death and even though the DVD version has less censoring parts were still cut out. The DVD version is better than nothing but if you want to watch it uncut then a fansub would be the best option.

A fighting animé where the characters grew larger with each fight... Nothing springs to mind sorry mate. The original Dragon Ball had Goku as a baby and Bulma as his babysitter. As time goes by Goku grows up and Bulma never seems to age o_O Its quite a decent series actually and it has plenty of humour. In the USA they're replaying the original DB after DBZ so fans can get up to speed on how it all began.

If you like the action titles then I'd suggest looking out for the Fatal Fury movie as well as the Street Fighter series.

Kenshin is a pretty cool series alright but so far I've only got the first 4 volumes. My avatar reflects that ^_^ Kenshin does speak differently though which tells us that he was from a different era than Kaoru and the crew. Still he's a good character, that he is.

Slayers is something else I need to finish off... Only bought the movies and some OAVs >_< Kinda wore off on me though since I began to buy some BubbleGum Crisis 2040 DVDs. Its also rather sickening since I bought the DVDs for £18 each and soon after the perfect collection (6 DVDs) came out for about £48 >_<

8. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    lol ;)

Dave

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I have too enjoyed Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust, although I found it more of a visual showpeice than an interesting story.

Jin-Roh was very good, very character driven and an interesting update on an old fairytale.

Princess Mononoke was very good, although I made the schoolboy error of being lazy and watching the English dub (which although very professional completely screwed the story up). Still it means I get to enjoy a whole new film when I watch the original.

The next purchase will most probably be metropolis, still trying to resist buying all my VHS owned stuff on DVD, and also have just purchased some old skool films like The Fog, Spartacus and Total Recall :p

11. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a huge fan of Street Fighter 2, and I believe there was a sequel but it was fairly crap. Is that true? Also I heard neither the series, nor Tekken lived up to SF2.

Lastly, there doesn't seem to be be much extra on the DVD. Anyone know of they are planning on bringing out a special edition?

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinzer, Metropolis is pretty cool although the retro style of the characters might put some off... It kinda makes you think what came out first, A.I or Metropolis... o_O Jin-Roh is amazing... When I first saw it on Sci-Fi a few years back I was shocked at the quality of characterisation since animés like are a rare breed... Which is why I liked Giant Robo, Evangelion and soon Serial Experiments Lain...

AccursedDelphi, how good is Hellsing? Its one title I have looked into but still hasn't jumped the que of Serial Experiments Lain, Eva movies, etc.

Delorian, I'm one of the few that thought the original SF movie was quite good... Didn't think too much of the SF V series though. The Street Fighter Alpha "movie" IMO was poor... It dragged on for far too long and you can tell that they used 2 episodes edited together to make the movie. Also the style doesn't quite work IMO even though it uses the videogames artistic license. There is good news though that the Street Fighter Alpha 2 movie is being worked on but as of now I don't know an awful lot of information about it sorry.

As for Tekken... is pants so I would stay well clear of it. The next decent videogame tie-in is Fatal Fury from what I know so it could be worth looking into.

Do any of you guys watch Saiko-TV by any chance? Its the first UK weekly program that shows (good) animés, even though the presenter is a bit annoying... I guess you can't have everything ^_^

13. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya

watched some of saiko, but not keen on the dubbed anime.
    have yet to watch jin-roh properly, already got the first three volumes of love hina (with the art box) and the first three vol of gto, started collecting bgc 2040 but haven't finished it (not to keen on it, prefered the originals), got slayers tv series (the first box set), x driver and rk vol 19 on the way, (but missing vol 17,18 as dvd boxoffice have yet to ship).
    haven't seen vampire hunter d. bloodlust.

ten

14. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Everyone - great to see theres a few anime fans on this board.
    DVD has really been a godsend to anime as now we can watch it as it should be watched, uncut and in its original lang. with great picture quality and sound. Plus dvds are nice and cheap:D
    My fav anime changes all the time as i watch new (and catch up with older shows) Ones i love at the moment are =
    Berserk - Fantastic medieval anime - got the Dreamcast game and really got into it so i love the anime, the game was very close to the anime but set much later.
    Cowboy beebop - A Classic Sci fi action packed anime (with plenty of laughs) - cant wait for the movie anyone known what the movie is about?? i saw a trailer but it didnt give much away
    Blood the last vampire - Awesome animation and great story BUT its far too short.
    I would also recommend www.dvdboxoffice.com they stock loads of R1 anime at very good prices and free delivery. Also theres lots of good R4 anime coming out (got my bublegum crisis 2040 from there ). Most is exactly the same as the R1 release but a lot cheaper - I use www.dvdcrave.com and www.ezydvd.com

15. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No one has mentioned Fist of the north star!! what a classic that was.

Imo the best anime film has to be Golgo 13:The professional I still have it video does anyone know if it's available on DVD?

16. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Golgo 13 is available on dvd R1 and R4 - See the links i posted before for some stores. Also available on R1 is another movie Golgo 13 Queen bee.

17. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love GTO, its always makes me laugh even though the first episode was a tad dodgy... I'm waiting the 4th DVD volume to be released from DVDboxoffice but I might order some more soon. Totoro is high up on my list and the DVD release of Spirited Away should be good... Even though there are some major issues about the DVD transfer - As it stands all of the DVDs have a red tint.

The dub of Evangelion wasn't that bad... It improved as it went along because in the first few episodes Misato sounded like a 14 y.o. even though she's 27. Still a top animé though in my books.

Blood: The last vampire was pretty cool but I think they ran out of cash which was the main reason for its length... But the animation and art was superb. Hopefully they will make a similar feature in the future.

One thing I really regret on not buying was the Cowboy Bebop boxset... I didn't know it was in limited supply and once I had a look for it, it was gone >_< Still at least they are selling the DVDs and DVDboxoffice still has some Serial Experiments Lain boxsets on sale. I emailed them asking to stock the You're Under Arrest DVD boxset but still no reply... Last time out they were very prompt for my request of Video Girl Ai.

I've noticed that no-one has mentioned Akira or its new re-mastered DVD... Do you guys think its more of a cult classic?

18. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi neoblade
    Totoro is rumoured to be released by Di$ney later this year along with Kiki's - Fingers crossed they do a good job and get a move on and release the other Studio Ghibli titles especially
    Ponpoko a superb movie with shape changing raccoons fighting mans destruction of there home.
    Akira is a real classic movie (its the film that opened up the wonderful world of anime to me when i saw it many many years ago:D ) But i must say the Manga is far better - i wished they had the money to do 2 or 3 movies to fully cover the Manga. Did you hear about the Hollywood live action remake!!! God help us if that happens :eek:
    What about Gundam? Another one of my favs. (although i dont like the Gundam wing much - its just an ad to sell more models;) )
    I much prefer the 0080 and 0083 series plus Gundam Zeta (i've only got this on Vhs) Also like the 8th Team series - some nice updated chara designs:)

19. r47463

r47463
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, it was indeed Inital D I was thinking about. I'll be damned if I can find it on DVD though. Given time I sure it will be available.

I'm another person who didn't get the Cowboy Bebop boxset. I ordered it from dvdboxoffice around April time and I went weeks waiting for it to arrive. Then I realised it was in limited supply and cancelled the order. I've heard so much good stuff about it, so I'll have to get the DVDs seperately.

I feel the urge to get some more DVDs. Is Record of Lodoss War any good?

20. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Di$ney have released the trailer for Spirited away - It looks superb and even the dub sounds good - much better then the poor dub on Mononoke. Also theres no sign of any Red tint on the trailer.
    The trailers at (small size for 56k modems)
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/spirited_away.html

21. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew.. Thought this thread was lost due to the amount of 24/BTTF posts lol. I need to check 24 out sometime...

Anyway back on topic.

captaineyecatch, Kikki's would be welcome indeed and I'm still praying for a DVD release of Laputa. I have the chance to view it on VCD and tape but I'm going to be patient and watch it the way it was ment to be done. If Totoro is about to be released over here I might still get the R1 version anyway... I've found it for $60 USD at jlist.com. I've bought from them a few times so its all good. Also, is cat girl Nuku-Nuku or something out on DVD?

I've heard of a possible live action remake and I honestly hope that it doesn't go through. If it does it'll be slaughtered by the fans even if its good. Pretty much all of the live action remakes have been dismal. Guyver? meh... DBZ? double meh...

I've heard of a possible GTO live action though and that could be quite funny but I'm not holding my breath. One nice thing is though that Cameron has commented that he would like to do a remake of the Evangelion series... Certainly would be interesting if he did.

Gundam is one series I haven't had time to get into sadly... But I do love Macross Plus to bits but I know that theres no chance in hell of any more additional work based on that storyline >_< The Robotech boxsets have been out for some time now but they're about mid-table on my animé list.

Its good to know that theres no red tint on the trailer... Pretty much everyone was in an uproar about it since they wouldn't offer any kind of refunds. Kinda reminds you of the Kimagure Orange Road DVD release...

r47463, Initial D is about to explode pretty soon. TokyoPop has the DVD license (along with GTO, Real Bout Schoolgirls etc) and it will support an re-mixed audio track - Converting DD 2.0 to 5.1 ^_^ I can't remember if they will be offering the boxset straight away but it won't be much longer now until its released.

As for Lodoss Wars it was hyped up a good while ago during its VHS release. So much so that the first volume was out of stock when I went to london >_<

I believe that if you like the Dungeons and Dragons scene then it should interest you. For me I couldn't get into it because I had the 2nd volume only and so missed out on a lot of characterisation.

I feel the urge for more DVDs as well but I know that I can't buy any just yet... I need a sub-woofer.

Just tell us your favoured animé genres mate and maybe we could offer some suggestions or good alternatives (like Serial Experiments Lain... Its a bit trippy mind).

22. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to be heavily in to anime about 10 or so years ago. we had this excellent anime club running at the local uni that showed a lot of fan dubbed stuff, it showed about 4 hours every saturday was great fun but i fell out of it.

in any case i'm just getting back in to the swing of things and watching a few DVD's but i'm finding most of the the new serials pretty boring in all honesty(serial experiments lain espesially) and mostly i like the full length movies released theatrically and now released on dvd, perfect blue, patlabour, blood, mononoke that sort of stuff. seems to be pretty thin on the ground though.

some of my faves from the anime club are Laputa(my all time favourite) nausica (got the manga too) secret of blue water, gundam 0083 and chars counterattack orange road, maison akoku(sp?) ranma, mermaids forest, 3x3 eyes, riding bean(this badly needed a sequel), bubblegum crisis, iczer1, original dirty pair(any chance of the movie on DVD?), vampire princess miyu and heaps more that i cant remember the names of unfortunately.

makes me wanna watch some of my old tapes.

nathan

23. r47463

r47463
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered a couple of box sets from deepdiscountdvd.com (seems pretty cheap):

Record of Lodoss War
    Dragonball Z Saiyan Saga

I'm a sucker for boxsets :D I'm taking a bit of a gamble with Lodoss War but I think I'll like it. I like most action anime, so I think I'll be adding the Street Fighter movie to my list and also Fatal Fury.

24. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    titan, I can see how Serial Experiments Lain could be boring because its not for everyone really. Its kinda like Evangelion in some respects since it does require a fair deal of patience and understanding to get the most out of it. Its certainly not a universal animé choice to get people into animé thats for sure.

A better series judging from the genres you have listed could probably be - Macross Plus, Gunsmith Cats (an animé inspired by Riding Bean), Green Legend Ran, Giant Robo, You're Under Arrest and GTO to name a few. I suppose it depends on the genres you like the most, and from what you have listed it seems like its a bit of everything ^_^ I've mentioned Evangelion earlier on and its not on your list... Its a bit more stimulating than Serial Experiments Lain I suppose and it has a many levels to the storyline which rewards repeated viewings.

I love 3x3 Eyes, even though that the last few episodes were tagged on. I rate it amongst Macross Plus personally as one of my most watched animés. As for the movies they are coming out at least. The next big one is Sprited Away which should be out in sept or so I believe. City Hunter: The Motion Picture I thought was decent and if you can borrow that off a mate it makes good viewing. All in all though the release of new animés is a bit slow but it should pick up soon.

r47463, it might be a risk but I think it'll pay off ^_^ I love boxsets too and am waiting for the You're Under Arrest one... DVDBoxoffice sure are taking their time to add it to the list of animés >_<

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neoblade what is it with anime like Najica and all the up skirt pantie shots, Delphi has noticed when girls are shot and killed it's always panties up :D ;)

[​IMG]

26. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    And why are the panties clean? With the japanese liking their schoolgirl dirty panties vending machines, you think they would get them a bit dirty in their films...... ummm not that I have a desire to see them..... nor smell them!!!!!!!!

27. wurzel

wurzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume you are talking about cartoons. I have Antz and Bug's Life which are two of my favourites

28. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased Atlantis and The Prince Of Eygpt animated dvd's although i don't recall any upskirt panty shots in either film:)

Delphi..do you have any upsk..................on second thoughts i had better not ask:D

29. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Some great news for Akira fans - Pioneer are releasing a new version on 3/12/02 - It will have a Japanese DTS track!!:D

30. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol Delphi, maybe you should watch a different animé ^_-

wurzel, Antz and Bug's Life are more like CG efforts than cartoons as you said.

captaineyecatch, should be sweet ^_^ I missed out again on a limited edition box tin of Akira so it would be nice to make do... Plus I might get rid of my PAL Akira for an NTSC one if it supports progressive scan well..