1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

general amp question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MATT JENNER, Jul 1, 2003.

1. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Is it true that an amp needs to settle down before it gives it true quality of sound ?

i was reading in home entertainment it was talking about the Sony amp, (latest one ) that after about 100 hrs the sounds was not so bright and it had become accustomed to the room

Is this true or is it another myth

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Depends on the unit involved some sound great out of the box some need a little or a lot of running in, my 6100's sounded better after about a months use which is about a100 hours. Don’t ask me why? Speakers need running in to loosen up the spiders, cones and suspension but do not know what changes on an amp, anyone clever out there? maybe it is just psychological and you are getting used to the new sound.

"IF ITS WORKING DONT FIDDLE WITH IT" - I’m an engineer cant help fiddling with things even when they are working, trying to stop it only leads to trouble.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Matt...it's certainly true that some amps do sound different after many hours of use from new,and some have suggested it's due to the supply capacitors etc,but another effect is that of the new user simply getting used to differences in sound quality between the new and old amps.
    One effect that definitely is noticeable is that some amps,notably high powered class A amps do need considerable time to reach their optimum operating temperature,and sound quality does change during this time.

4. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like a new car I guess? Both when new and on the first trip of the day.

5. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    many thanks for your replies

have a good weekend

Matt