General Aerial Upgrade - Advice?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by IanSimmons, Mar 17, 2006.

1. IanSimmons

IanSimmons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I have been doing a lot of research on upgrading my TV and recording capabilities, but still know little of what my options are to improve my TV reception, whether aerial or satellite, or where to go for this advice.

My situation is that I do not want to subscribe to Sky, I do want Freeview, and an improved signal generally. I live in a semi-rural area which, according to the Freeview website, is not covered; however I DO receive Freeview signals, I already have a simple digital receiver that gives me most channels, with reasonable quality (marginally better than analogue).

My current aerial needs a booster for each TV (we have 2 rooms with an input), without which the signal is very poor. I would like to dispense with this. I want to invest in new TV and recorders that have digital tuners, and want to be confident that I can continue to receive the digital signal (despite what Freeview themselves tell me!) so I don't waste my money.

As part of this I am considering installing a new input to the kitchen for a very small portable TV. Indoor aerials don't work.

Where are the best resources for this advice, or could someone give me a few pointers here? Any help would be gratefully received. The companies I phone don't seem to want to offer on-site advice without installing something and getting paid for it.

2. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  4. IanSimmons

IanSimmons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. Will think on it.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    Sky is never free, if you want the features of a PVR (Hard Disc recorder). The only Sky PVR is Sky+ which is useless without a subscription. Whereas Freeview is totally Free and there is a good choice of PVRs for this platform.

One person's bad experience in one particular area does not by any means mean that you will have the same experience.