Question General advice sought

dashu

Novice Member
Reaction score
First of all, hello! Long time reader, first time poster.

Recently bought my own place and one of the nice features of the house is a huge great top floor (17x10). Some of the houses on the terrace use it as a bedroom but the previous owners used mine as a sort of office / storage area. I want to make use of an existing 5.1 system I have but need a nice new TV to watch things on. The TV will sit in an alcove that has a width of about 180cm. Max viewing distance is about 14ft, although I plan to move the seating forward as 4k at this distance is going to be a waste of time.

Ideally i'd have a 75" in the alcove up there but realistically I won't get one in budget. With that in mind, the main criteria is that the size is a minimum of 60" and with a max price of about £1300 - though ideally closer to the £1000 mark.

I've been looking at the following but would love some thoughts.

- Panasonic Viera TX-58DX802B - The price is right where I want it to be, size is marginally below my 60" minimum but my main concern is the price i'm paying for the supplied Panasonic sound bar that I have no interest/plan to use.

- Samsung UE60KS7000 - Slightly over budget @ £1399 but seems the better of the two I've narrowed down to

Worth adding that feeds will by Sky, my desktop PC and potentially a PS4 in time.

SD content sounds much better on the Viera above than it does the Samsung above...does anyone have experience of SD content on either?

Given the uncertainty surrounding HDR in terms of standards and a lack of 4K content at present, I'm thinking I may just pick up a 1080p panel and revisit in a few years once things settle. With that in mind, is there a go to 65-75 that anyone could recommend? I've been looking at some of the Sony panels, specifically the 65W855C, but it the viewing angles don't sound great at all...

What kind of viewing angles do you need? Measure off the center of the TV horizontally.

Most good TVs now come with VA type panels which have better contrast and blacks but narrow viewing angles, usually between 16-20 degrees off center whilst the older IPS screens may have worse black's and contrast but they don't degrade at an angle until you hit between 30-40 degrees

The more I think about it, my need is less for a wide viewing angle, given the distance from the screen but more for a non-static wall mount. The seating in the room starts straight-on and moves off to the right, nobody will be sat the left side.

For all the hunting I've done, it seems to have become quite difficult to pick up a 1080p panel of high spec. Throw in the 55" KS7000 @ £999 and I end up going full circle...that said, if I stick to my minimum size, the 60" KS7000 is less attractive at the current £1399, +40% increase for +5"...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom