General advice required please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bikebarbie, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Bikebarbie

Bikebarbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, :hiya:

we have just bought a Samsung LE32R74BDX and are considering a both Home Sound System (5 in one) and HD-DVD player that can record both from TV and from its Hard Drive, but we have a few questions.

1) At present our Home Sound System only works when we put the DVD player on. We are not sure why this is happening (wrong connection or limited capability on current set up...) but would like the new Sound Sytem to work both with the Tv on and the DVD player. Will we have to look at a specific component when buying the new Sound System or will all they work both on TV and Dvd players?

2) Are there on the market any Multi regional HD DVD players?

3) Does the new XBOX 360 have the HD capability when playing dvd 's? Is that will all Dvd's or only the new HD dvd's (disks)?

4) HD dvd players: when connected to a HD tv will they enhance the standard DVD disks or do they need to be HD Dvd's?

5) Recording. With SKY HD or SKY + you can record tv programs on its own Hard Drive. Can you them transfer this out of the Hard Drive into a DVD disk?

6) The tv has only 1 HDMI port. Do we need one port for every source (ie. one port for HD dvd player and 1 port for HD Sound System...)

7) Scart Leads. Thinking of changing them to gold plated ones. Are they all the same or would you reccomend a specific brand that would enhance the TV performace?

Sorry for the lenghty post but we would be grateful if you could advice even if only for a few questions, as we are very confused on the matter :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR :clap:

2. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,968
    Hi and a happy new year.Sound sytems whats your budget i just bought the Wharfedale diamond 9 hcp for just under 500 quid find it excellent.That's wired up to a pioneer 1016 reciever which has a ton of connections (if you want that) for like your dvd player games consoles or telly.
    Gold scart connections are a con waste of money.I've used basic scart cables before then thought i'd try an expensive one made no difference at all actually that's my experience eith most cables really.

3. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi Bikebarbie, hopefully i can answer some of your questions

Firstly sounds like a HDD DVD recorder which isn't a HD-DVD player, it has a built in harddrive which you record onto depending on the model possibly you can then record onto a standard DVD-R disc.

1.if your all-in-one system has aux inputs you should be able to get some kind of sound via sky into, need to know model number so we can check,ideally you should get an av amp with multiple inputs.

2. Toshiba only make HD-DVD players, all HD-DVD disc have no region coding meaning you can play any region discs on any player, but the players are region coded for normal dvd eg usa region 1 , uk region 2. A HD-DVD player is not the same as a HD DVD player, a HD DVD player doesn't play HD-DVD discs it just upscales standard one, i know it sounds very confussing:confused:

3. X BOX HD-DVD drive plays all HD-DVD's but only region 2 normal dvd's which it can upscale

4. a HD dvd player will only play normal discs but can upscale them to a higer resolution such as 720p or 1080i, thats better than normal ie 480p but no way as good as a HD-DVD player playing a HD-DVD disc

5. yep you can transfer your recorded programes from the sky hard drive and record them on a dvd-recorder

6. you will need a hdmi for every visual source that goes to the tv ie, 1 for sky hd, 1 for HD-DVD player etc, if the tv only has 1 input u might want to invest in an hdmi switcher, ie 4 inputs 1 output, or you could get an av amp which has hdmi inputs and outputs which will switch it for you and take care of all your sound problems

7. all leads arn't the same, i personally use QED leads very good, but not the cheapest on the market

hope thats some help, i expect someone will ad something i probably missed:D

4. lrbh

lrbh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Actually, the proper spelling for High Definition DVD is 'HD DVD' and not 'HD-DVD'.
    Just look at www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com (HD DVD's Official website).

5. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I appoligise for the miss interpretation of HD DVD was just trying to explain that a HD DVD player doesn't play HD DVD's :confused: :confused:

maybe you can word it better?

also why on trading forums is it refered to as HD-DVD?

eg: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447820
    http://www.dvdlibrary.co.uk/

i'm not alone in using HD-DVD to show some kind of difference

6. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Bikebarbie,

I would suggest that you visit a decent AV store (ie. not currys or dixons etc) and discuss all of your needs with them. You seem to be rather confused by all of this, they will be able to advise you on exactly what you need and how to connect it all up, and inform you about the various technologies out there. :smashin:

You could then re-post more specific questions in the appropiate forums once you've done this if you want some assurance. :thumbsup:

7. lrbh

lrbh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My post wasn't meant as bashing, just wanted to post the correct spelling ;)
    I know a lot of people are spelling it HD-DVD, and i've seen DVD upscalers and HDD DVD recorders refered as HD DVD. A lot of people is getting confused by this :(

8. Bikebarbie

Bikebarbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)
    thank you all for your replies which I found very useful, just got confused by the statement below

I went to the thelookandsoundperfect.com and under the FAQ section it clearly says:

Can I watch my old DVDs on an HD DVD player?
    Yes. HD DVD is backwards compatible, which means it can play movies in the
    original DVD format just as easily as it plays HD DVDs. Plus, HD DVD players are the best upconverting DVD players on the market today – making those old DVDs look better than they ever have before. It plays audio CDs too!

Can someone clarify this to me?

Thanks again :smashin:

9. Kilian

Kilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    An upscaling standard def (SD) DVD player is not the same as a HD DVD player (from Toshiba) displaying the HD DVD logo.

The former should really not be called an HD DVD player. It won't play HD DVD discs.

The latter but not the former plays HD DVD and SD DVD.

10. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Just look at the make and price if its not made by Toshiba it's not an E1 ie
    £400 ish at the mo its not gonna play HD DVD discs, so if you want HD DVD that also plays normal DVD's at the mo you have buy a Toshiba HD-E1 its the only player avalible or just buy a BLU-RAY player which WONT play HD DVD's just normal DVD's and BLU-RAY discs.

11. Bikebarbie

Bikebarbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you all again for your time things are much clearer now :)

I have only one more question please :devil:

our tv has only one HDMI therefore we will need to use a HDMI splitter for all the other equipment. Will the use of a splitter corrupt or deteriorate the picture/sound quality?

12. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'd imagine if you get a good quality one that is HDCP compliant you would be fine,personally i'd avoid the cheap ones from ebay ie about £25

as with most things, pay cheap pay twice :)

13. Bikebarbie

Bikebarbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi skinnymalinki thanks for your reply can you reccomed a brand/type in particular? :D

14. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
  15. Bikebarbie

Bikebarbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW :eek: £250 + Delivery that IS expensive!

16. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    yep unfortnately the world of HD isn't a cheap one at the moment.....