General advice re new setup, what have I missed/should do next?!

amishra123

Novice Member
Hey everyone!

I'm just in the process of piecing together my first proper HIFI setup. I've got most of the things now and taking my time getting them setup and sorted. I just thought I'd post asking for some general advice, tips and pointers as to what you think I've missed, or would be worth sorting! I've learnt a lot from these forums and thought I'd start taking part!

My setup is
Monitor Audio Gold 100's on some Atacama stands connected to an Audiolab 6000a.

I mostly listen to spotify, have a few FLAC's and records.
I recently got rid of my ancient Kam decks for a vintage Rega Planar 2 (the one with the wood trim). I'm currently just waiting for some things to give it a clean and new motor. I've got a red ortofon concorde 2 and elektra goldring cartridges to use with me here (can't wait to give it a listen).

I've got a pi 4 with the hifiberry digi2 pro connected to the amp via SP dif/optical to stream spotify and flacs, and the tv chromecast connected to a HDMI audio stripper which is also connected via optical into the Aduiolab.

I think I've covered most of the bases, but just wanted to check if there was a better way of connecting things, or setting them up? Also wondering whether I would see any tangible improvements with the pi going into a standalone DAC then the Audiolab instead of the DAC in the Audio lab?
Any tips pointers greatly appreciated :)

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’d say you’ve got it all very well sorted out. 👍

I’d not bother with a different dac. Audiolab do make very good stand alone ones and the one in the 6000A is by all accounts just as good.

It’s plausible that the Gold 100s might benefit from a better amp, especially at high volumes, but unless you hear one in your home I think you’ll be delighted with the Audiolab.

dollag

as @Paul7777x pointed out, you might get a bit more out of your speakers with a beefier amp but the audiolab is great.

BEfore you consider a dac, i would focus on the living space and speaker placement. your room will have the biggest impact on the sound quality, more than any dac.

Last edited:

New Forester

“Before you condiser a dac, I would focus on the living space and speaker placement. your room will have the biggest impact on the sound quality, more than any dac.”

Good advice!

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
as @Paul7777x pointed out, you might get a bit more out of your speakers with a beefier amp but the audiolab is great.

BEfore you consider a dac, i would focus on the living space and speaker placement. your room will have the biggest impact on the sound quality, more than any dac.

Even though the speaker placement and room are the two biggest determinants of the sound that hits your ears, it’s always the first thing I deal with so I tend to forget to mention it.

But, yes, as dollag says, getting the most from what you’ve bought starts with the speakers and room. And has a hugely bigger effect than any dac, if it’s wrong.

So take the time to get the speakers in the right position for your seat and the room. And get used to the whole lot over a goodly time before spending anymore.

If you feel you must spend more then any cash would be better spent on an even more skilled amp long before a dac will make a difference.

Hope you enjoy it. I imagine you will, there’s some very fine stuff there.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom