Geneology - Advice and Help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by WeegyAVLover, Aug 7, 2013.

1. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    Hi All,

Looking for help but not for me for my wife.

Do not want to go into to much detail but my wife's family history is a bit of a history to her/us. Her wee dad did not have the great up bringing so the information we have about relatives is very sketchy.

Her mum is from Singapore (we think) and she would love to find that information out about her side as well as her mum and dad (wife's grandparents) died when my wife's mum was very young.

I know there was a website for births/marriages/deaths which I signed up to when it first launched, but it seemed to be related to only English side of things and not for Scotland.

Can someone help me help me help my lovely wife? Just not sure where to start?

So I know the Singapore side of things is going to be more difficult, but my wife's dad side of things is Scotland - in case it makes a difference.

2. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    Do you mean ancestry.co.uk? I've used them in the past and they've been really good.

They also have international "versions" - don't know of they cover Singapore, though.

3. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    Yeah that is the daddy, seemed really good, for England (possibly Wales) but no good for Scotland - but I could be wrong...

I will check it out again and see if it is any use.

I have also found this:
    Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople

But they want to charge you £7 for 30 credits which gives you about 10 searches... I think.