Genelec HT206 review in HiFi Choice (Issue 214)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt F

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got a copy of HiFi Choice issue 214? This is the one with reviews of active monitors.

What I’m after is a copy of the review of the Genelec HT206.

That review is not on the HiFi Choice website yet and they have sold out of back copies of issue 214 so I’m a bit stuck.

If you do have a copy of this magazine would you be willing to scan a copy of the Genelec review and e-mail it to me? Of course, if you don’t want the magazine at all and would be willing to send it to me then that would be great.

Many thanks,

Matt.

If that's the one where they tested it with a REL Q400 then I have it at home and will scan it for you tonight.

If so, can you PM me your email address please

Matt F,

Genelec HT206 is functionally equaivalent to Genelec 1030A which is much more established speaker. They are popular speakers with smaller studios and you can frequently get a good 2nd paid for £700. There is an ad in Loot for pair of 1031A (bigger brother, bi-amped at 120W+120W) for £1,200, new £1,880).

As with M&K consumer/professinal speakers range, consumer model have front cover that will cost you at least 30% extra (pair of new HT206 is £1,400, while pair of new 1030A is £1,056, both inc. VAT). That is £172 for estetic improvement.

If active speakers is what you want then look at pro market for good bargains.

There is Home Chinema Choice review of HT206 and if you do Google Search for 1030A you'll get even more info.

Thanks for the info Branxx. I must admit that I did know a lot of that i.e. that the HT206 is the consumer version of the 1030A and I had read the HCC review - that's one of the reasons I fancy listening to a pair. I also quite like the idea of not using a power amp i.e. just connecting 5 active monitors to my TAG AV32R.

I have found the 1030As at £935.99 for a pair - http://www.digitalvillage.co.uk/aproduct.asp?ProductID=610 which seems to be a very good price. As it happens this place is in Bristol so I might pop in and see if they have a pair that I could try out at home. I'm not sure how much the optional grilles are (they are listed as a 1030 accesory on the Genelec site) but I can't imagine they would be that expensive.

I was just interested as to what HiFi Choice thought of them.

Thanks again,

Matt.

If you're after active monitors, then you MUST give ATC a listen. Judging by your price range I'd suggest the Active 10's (I've got a pair and they're superb), though if you shop second hand you might be able to find a pair of SCM-20A's, or T16's for around the same price (the 20's are twice as big, with a 6" mid/bass driver to the 10's 5", and the T16's are home cinema-oriented 16-litre monitors with the same 6" bass driver as the SCM-20's, though I can't vouch for the sound quality on either of the bigger models as I've never heard them). Check out www.atc.gb.net for the skinny.

Happy hunting,

Dunc

Originally posted by dunkyboy
If you're after active monitors, then you MUST give ATC a listen.

Dunc – I had a strange feeling I might get a post from you about ATC. I do like the idea of the Active 10s but I was put off a bit when you mentioned (in another post) how much the matching centre speaker is (£1700?!). I guess another Active 10 could be used as a centre but I don’t know whether it could be used on its side.

I haven’t discounted ATCs altogether but I must admit that the price/size of the Genelec 1030s makes them very attractive for a 5 speaker set up (with one on its side as a centre).

Thanks for your enthusiasm anyway.

Matt.

The best price for Genelec 1030A is at www.thomann.de . They sell them for £865 pair (inc VAT). In UK you can purchase the speakers from www.turnkey.uk.com (they wuould have them for more than Thomann, but you ask for their 'cheapest in Europe pledge' and they'll match the price).

It is very unlikely that Digital Village will lend you speakers and they are not known for keen pricing. But if they do they deserve your custom.

I have put a system for my daughter with 6 Genelec 1029A + 3 1092 subs + HTPC with Delta 410. For their small size they produce is extremely competent sound.

I hope you'll find 1030A even more satisfying. If you don't like them in your HT, they make very good PC speakers.

Hehe, I guess I am a bit of a sucker for ATC, but what can I say - they rock! :)

And maybe I can ease your reservations a little - I spoke to ATC recently (whilst ordering my new C2 subwoofer, mmmmm) and apparently the price I was given for hte centre speaker a year ago (£1800) was before they'd sorted out their pricing scheme for their newer models. It's since been rectified, and the centre is now £1200. Still a bit of a wallet-killer but a heck of a lot better than £1800!

HTH,

Dunc

Ian J kindly sent me a copy of a review of the Genelecs from HiFi World – thanks Ian.

However, I’m still keen to see the HiFi Choice review so if anyone has a copy of issue 214 please let me know.

Thanks,

Matt.

Matt F,

There are two adverts for 2nd hand 1030A in musition ads section of Sound On sound magazine. Check it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom