• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gen 1 WD HD question

silvermilnec

Hi all, wonder if you can help,
I bought a 2nd hand Gen 1 WD HD player a few months ago. To be honest I love it and tell all my friends about it. I now have been asked to source 2 more. The only problem i can see is some of the films i've ripped only play audio when connected by optical cable to my 5.1 system. I know my 2 friends don't have this option but they both only want to spend circa £50, gen 1 price form what i've checked out.

Would a homebrew firmware get round this problem? or will i have to re-rip the dvd to another audio format?

I'm also concidering changing to the Live version but not sure if it's worthwhile. Anyone changed and think it's worthwhile, i do have a wireless network, does the live sit on the wireless network so you can send a film from my laptop without pluging it in via usb?

Hope the above makes some sense!

:thumbsup:

next010

Distinguished Member
The original WDTV lacks DTS audio support whereas the WDTV Live does support DTS. Correct the Live can access the network shared folders on a PC or NAS and also access UPnP/DLNA servers too.

You can get an Asus O!Play for £63 and it is a more capable player than the WDTV v1.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom