Gemini Man Review & Comments

false info there, it's not de-aging at all. will smith said it's a completely cg character over a motion capture performance

From the trailer, I found it very distracting that the young Will Smith doesn't really look like the young Will Smith. Just a de aged old will Smith, if that makes sense.

From the trailer, I found it very distracting that the young Will Smith doesn't really look like the young Will Smith. Just a de aged old will Smith, if that makes sense.
Weirdly, I thought the exact opposite: Junior looked like Smith used to look like rather than a de-aged version of Smith in the film. If you use FaceApp to de-age you it looks like an amazing young version of the photo of you - but not how you looked at that age, and *that* is what I think would have worked better in the film rather than recreating what Smith looked like in his Fresh Prince era.

Anyway, for me, the whole things a moot point as the entire film was close to unwatchable due to the monstrous cheapening effect of HFR. Quite simply, Gemini Man is the cheapest looking film I have ever seen at the cinema. Nasty.

The Hobbit didn't look good at 48fps, so dread to think what this looks like at 120. The only benefit I saw to 48 was the 3D motion didn't look like a blurry mess during busy action sequences.

The Hobbit didn't look good at 48fps, so dread to think what this looks like at 120. The only benefit I saw to 48 was the 3D motion didn't look like a blurry mess during busy action sequences.

Funny you say that as I too seen The Hobbit in 48fps and it was like watching a stage play. And just yesterday I received a copy of 'Billy Lynn's long halftime walk' in 4k UHD which is actually 60fps! It looked stunning from a picture point of view, but terrible as a movie telling device. My wife said it looked like a UHD episode of Curb you Enthusiasm!

I just got back from seeing this in HFR 3D and whilst I think 4 is harsh, it wasn't much better, probably a 5, maybe a 6 because of some good use of 3D without being too gimmicky. CGI humans though...when will they learn that they never look real alongside real actors.

Watched this last night and though the script leaves a lot to be desired some great action sequences and me and the Mrs enjoyed it (the 4DX did a good job with the action scenes). It's not Smith's best work but an enjoyable action movie all the same.....

I'd give it a 7/10.

Will smith used to knock out winner after winner, now he just knocks out dud after dud (

I will watch it in 2D at the Laser Imax at Leicester Square today,no idea if it is in HFR or not.I have seen its trailer there and it looked very impressive and immersive.Cleaner looking movies are the big draw there,while movies like the Joker,which didnt look very grainy,when i watched it at the Superscreen at O2 yesterday,are not as appealing-its trailer was a grainy mess!

No cinema in UK or USA is showing the movie in 3d 4K 120fps!

The young Will Smith is actually a real actor with a CGI head stuck on him.

Think I'll give this a permanent miss.

Will smith used to knock out winner after winner, now he just knocks out dud after dud (
The last couple of Will Smith films I recall enjoying were I Am Legend and The Pursuit of Happyness which was over a decade ago.

How different his career could’ve been if he’d chosen to star in The Matrix instead of Wild Wild West!

*cough* Aladdin (in terms of Box Office rather than opinion before you say :D ) *cough*

Flat, is ultimately the best way to describe it, it plods along, at no point do you not know where it’s going. Smith & Winstead are fine, Young Smith also generally good, but one good action sequence in a two hour movie is underwhelming.
4/10
(Good gun fire though)

Well AVF seals it's fate. I'll happily wait till it's on Netflix or NowTV.

Agree with the sentiment about Smith. His career has sadly nosedived. I can't even remember the last film of his I thought was good.

He could do with Bad Boys 3 being a hit. Although saying that actually, he could retire now with his millions so I guess he doesn't really need anything to be a hit anymore!

Agree with the sentiment about Smith. His career has sadly nosedived. I can't even remember the last film of his I thought was good.

He could do with Bad Boys 3 being a hit. Although saying that actually, he could retire now with his millions so I guess he doesn't really need anything to be a hit anymore!

I thought Focus was pretty good.

I just got back from seeing this in HFR 3D and whilst I think 4 is harsh, it wasn't much better, probably a 5, maybe a 6 because of some good use of 3D without being too gimmicky. CGI humans though...when will they learn that they never look real alongside real actors.

If directors don't push the tech it will never get there. Look at how far it's come over the last 10 years. In another 10, perhaps fewer, I believe we'll have digital actors which are completely convincing.

Saw it on Saturday and events made it very eventful.

Watched on HFR and during the first 10 minutes things seemed wrong - it didn't look quite right, with tearing and background objects jumping to the foreground.

I feared I had the wrong glasses - wondering whether you needed different ones for HFR and I had provided my four family members with the wrong ones.

But then a Cineworld employee came in and said there was a technical issue which they were trying to fix. Some of the customers started getting arsey demanding refunds and were pretty rude. Cineworld fixed it pretty quickly to be fair and restarted from the beginning.

As for the film - not brilliant but I enjoyed it a lot more than a 4. I'd give it a 6.

Cheers,

Nigel

Smith has just had the biggest hit of his career what are you on about ?

Smith has just had the biggest hit of his career what are you on about ?

Sorry, poor choice of words from me at 2am!

What I was alluding to was I just associate Smith with mostly bog standard releases these days. In terms of quality, not necessarily box office. I realise Aladdin has done very well.

Not sure really about Focus as Lucas mentions, but I'd agree with SteveAwol that the last film of his I thought was any good was I Am Legend. That was 2007.

There's been a whole string of duds I can think of - Bright, Suicide Squad, Collateral Beauty, After Earth, MIB 3, Seven Pounds. They're not complete stinkers, but it feels like another lifetime when he was nominated for his turn in Ali.

I'm not expecting miracles from Bad Boys 3, but it'd be nice if it actually turned out to be a good quality buddy cop movie, as we don't get too many of those these days.

Sorry, poor choice of words from me at 2am!

What I was alluding to was I just associate Smith with mostly bog standard releases these days. In terms of quality, not necessarily box office. I realise Aladdin has done very well.

Not sure really about Focus as Lucas mentions, but I'd agree with SteveAwol that the last film of his I thought was any good was I Am Legend. That was 2007.

There's been a whole string of duds I can think of - Bright, Suicide Squad, Collateral Beauty, After Earth, MIB 3, Seven Pounds. They're not complete stinkers, but it feels like another lifetime when he was nominated for his turn in Ali.

I'm not expecting miracles from Bad Boys 3, but it'd be nice if it actually turned out to be a good quality buddy cop movie, as we don't get too many of those these days.

Don't forget Smith is in his 50s now and has had his heyday. He's an action star and big actors no longer guarantee box office. Loads of stars have a run of duds (just ask Robert De Niro). I think his career is just fine, all things considered.

You're confusing a career nose-dive with simply not liking his recent films.

Don't forget Smith is in his 50s now and has had his heyday. He's an action star and big actors no longer guarantee box office. Loads of stars have a run of duds (just ask Robert De Niro). I think his career is just fine, all things considered.

You're confusing a career nose-dive with simply not liking his recent films.

Recent? You mean the last 12 years worth!

Looking back I expected more from him after his turn in Ali. Obviously it's better than mine, but I think his filmography makes for grim reading in terms of quality, and most of his good stuff was in his early career days. That's what I'd personally describe as a nosedive anyway.

Your point I've highlighted, did you mean anything further on that?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom