1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geforce out to 5 BNC on SVP350?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by maxread, Apr 6, 2005.

1. maxread

maxread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have aquired an SVP350 from the local pub. I get a passable picture from the DVD and TV using composite video but the composite output from the PC is dark and looks crappy in comparison.
    I have a component lead connected to the second output on my Geforce FX5200 and Powerstrip installed but have yet to find a setting that the projector is happy with. Is it actually possible to get this working or am I barking up the wrong tree?

2. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I'm aware the 350 is video only, so it won't actually work with a pc?
    That is if it is connected to your vga output. If your card had an svhs output you could connect it via that. Alternatively if you are only using it to view dvd's from the computer you could always purchase a dedicated dvd decoder card of which there are various. Chris Frost is the man to talk to about this :)

Also because this pj has an inbuilt tuner you should get a very good picture?

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    maxread, woof, woof woof ;)

Sinbrad is right. The 350 will take RGB from a standard video source like a Sky box or DVD player but not from a PC at data rates (32kHz and above).

If you haven't had CRT before then the 350 is a great place to start learning the principles of convergence. It's got both 4:3 and 16:9 modes so you can see improvement when the scan lines get squeezed together, and they do converge nicely too so you'll have a very tidy looking image. The last 350 I converged was for fellow forum member Nebby. His was running on an 8ft screen and he was blown away by the picture quality when we had finished.

Stick with standard video from an S output on the graphics card and have a play around with converging the pj. When you're ready, move the 350 on Ebay and look for a used Barco or something similar that can use the potential availble from the graphics card.

Good luck

4. maxread

maxread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help but I've tried the S output and the composite and they look crappy compared to the composite on my cable TV box. What I was really asking was - "Can I make the Geforce output 15KHz PAL I from the VGA component (D-SUB -> 5xBNC) output using powerstrip to change the scan rates?"
    I have a feeling that there is a special Radeon card that allows this?

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    There are cards that will output video but the picture will be worse than from a DVD player.

Why do you need to use a PC if you already have SKY and DVD.

6. maxread

maxread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a community of artists and musicians who all have networked PCs. We want to be able to view new footage as it comes online without having to burn a DVD first.

7. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If what your wanting is to try and get a PAL signal from your VGA port you'd be best asking this in the PC hardware/HTPC section (or whatever its called now). A few people there have made VGA->SCART adapters with good results.

8. gnarvster

gnarvster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm planning on doing just the same for my NordMende TVP-100 which is also video only. I'd like to be able to feed the projector with a RGB "SCART" signal, taken and converted from my secondary vga out on my graphics card. From this info it looks pretty straightforward, not much conversion need be done.

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

This might also be a good resource: http://www.syncblaster.com/gtmfytv.htm

Let us know how things progresses!

9. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey fella,
    if what you want to do is to output networked PC stuff onto the SVP350 have you thought about a modified xbox running Xbox Media Center? This absolutely rocks. I have my xbox networked up to my PC and the xbox connected to the PJ with component cables (I have the 350+ HB model) but you could always use RGB instead (not too much diff but smoother picture and less line structure through component).

Any material that is on my PC (music, pictures, videos) is easily accessible with the xbox controller (which uses the triggers as jog shuttles - nice!) and it can even connect to the internet through the PC and d/l web tv, music videos, radio, movie & game trailers etc and all of them displayed through the highest quality that the Seleco 350 can produce.

Seriously, have a look at xbox-scene.com and unleash the power of xbox.

10. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Forgot to add that the xbox has a graphics scaling chip built in and if you get a better projector then it can upscale video for you to 720p or 1080i to boot!