GeForce GTX970. A good choice?

Kelv

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'd appreciate advice from anyone who knows about graphics cards. My lad plays Steamgames and Riot Games on his PC and is looking to replace his GTX560 Ti (not overclocked) because he feels it's starting to slow down his gameplay lately. He has his eye on a GTX970, does anyone have any knowledge of this card, would it be a sound investment?

Many thanks, Kelv.

The GTX 970 is an excellent chip.

There is a bit of a gap to the next model up (GTX 980) so the actual cards have spread out in price a bit and I might be dubious about some of the more expensive ones. That said, AMD's gap at that price point (between the 290X and 295X2) is even larger so it's not as if there's competition

The GTX 560ti is about the equal of a 750ti, still a £100 card, so while it won't be able to power high resolution/multiple screen setups or turn every exotic graphical option on it shouldn't be struggling to run games at a level where they can be enjoyed.

The GTX 970 is around 2.5x as fast. That's a moderate amount, significant enough that it'll make a noticeable difference but not an upgrade everyone would want to pay for.

Endless Waves, that's really helpful, thanks. I appreciate the quick response too.

Endless Waves, that's really helpful, thanks. I appreciate the quick response too.
Btw Endless Waves, he is using two monitors. I say this because you mentioned multiple screen set ups.

Hi, I'd appreciate advice from anyone who knows about graphics cards. My lad plays Steamgames and Riot Games on his PC and is looking to replace his GTX560 Ti (not overclocked) because he feels it's starting to slow down his gameplay lately. He has his eye on a GTX970, does anyone have any knowledge of this card, would it be a sound investment?

Many thanks, Kelv.
Personally I'd go for the 4GB MSI Gaming Twin Frozr, which is what I've got and it's a beast. It's factory over-clocked and can be pushed even further without the need for additional cooling. It actually gets very close to 980 speeds for significantly less money.

I "only" run a 1920x1080 display but I can play everything on ultra detail with high frame-rates. It's a very quiet card as well, with the fans kicking in only once it hits 60 degrees. Read a few reviews for a more complete picture, but it's been winning awards left right and centre.

Btw Endless Waves, he is using two monitors. I say this because you mentioned multiple screen set ups.

Two screens is unusual as it doesn't tend to work well with games that focus on the centre of the display (crosshairs for example) but if he uses both in games then yeah, upgrades will need to be more frequent because the bar is higher (almost twice as much power required for acceptable gameplay).

GTX 970 offers 80% of the power of the high end GTX 980 for much less.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom