1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GeForce FX Reviews

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Free, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Free

Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Doesn't look too promising really. We could end up with another 3DFX slide!!! :p

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,020
    No they don’t and I had been hearing such good reports in the pipeline on the FX card, looks as though they where over optimistic ‘the graphics will be like watching a film’ now I wonder what film they were on about.
    I hope it brings the price of the Radeon down in price.

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    All the reviews are on DirectX8.1 -- seeing as both GeForceFX and Radeon9700 cards are designed for DirectX9, it will be interesting to see how results differ (or remain the same).

StooMonster

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,020
    I have been informed by a mate who keeps his eyes on these things and says Nvidia haven’t sorted there drivers out fully yet so there could be some improvements there in the next month.
    I also think he mentioned a new Radeon card is due out.

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Yes but there is the question of real life application. Only now have we got a few games that are DirectX8 compatible. DirextX9 games will take ages to come out, yes you will get a few that have compatibility, but these will be the huge releases of the year, not the other 99% of games that get released.

I have a Geforce 4 Ti4400, I cannot see any reason to upgrade it at the mo, and doubt I will need to for a good long time (until the current uber cards are at 100-150 quid prices). Most games developers aim for the mass market that means that games are designed for middle of the road PCs.

These cards are for 3dMark Junkies, not gamesplayers :p

7. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    From reading on another website, i have heard that the R350 & RV350 (ATi's new chips) are due in the next few weeks

Also, if you look at past Nvidia cards, they have the uncanny knack of releasing drivers that give a 10-20% increase in performance a few months after a new card is launched.

Mind you, i won't be buying a Geforce FX as it i want to see if ATi get it right with R350 (As it is due soon)

You must be happy if you bought a 9700pro six months ago and it is still keeping up with Nvidia's latest offering.

Also, i agree with waiting to see how DirectX 9 affects the results

8. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I was going to buy an fx card, dont you guys think it is very good then i thought it was supposed to be the best graphics card out.

I am getting an athlon 2600 and wanted to get fx card along with it

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,020
    Just a thought but if Ge-force bring a new card out it should bump the price of the older card down a bit in price, same should be true for the Radeon.

10. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't care how fast it is, but I'm never going to buy any graphics card that makes more noise than a hoover :)

When the quiet version comes out I might have a look :)

Till then I'll stick with this GF3 I've had for a couple of years, I haven't seen anything yet thats required an upgrade.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,020
    Same here mate if you keep upgrading each time a new card comes out you end up spending more on cards than the games. This is my second year for my GF3 the only thing is I would like to play Morrowind at a higher resolution but it still impresses every one who sees it, and the game play’s just the same.:cool:

12. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Well if you want to run high quality FSAA and also antiscopic filtering, both of which improve image quality especially in FPS games then you need these cards.

Also, if you have a 19" monitor or above, you need a card that can handle resolutions of maybe 1600x1200 with decent frame rates.

I currently have a GF4 Ti4400 and it runs most games quite reasonably, unless i enable the above features or crank up the resolution.

Tell me if you max the details settings on something like Unreal Tournament, that a GF3 will cope, i very much doubt it

But i agree with you, about always upgrading, it becomes an expensive hobby and you have to balance what you are happy with versus the money u spend