1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

geforce 6600

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by swainy, Mar 28, 2005.

1. swainy

swainy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yo, I'm building a new pc and I'm on a budget. I've been looking at the geforce 6600 pci-e card and its in my price range, but someone told me it would be a waste of money and that I should at least get a 6800 or a radeon x800. I don't know whether to trust that opinion.
    My current pc is so old that I haven't been able to buy any games for quite a while, but with my new setup I'll be wanting to play all the latest releases, particularly hl2.
    It will probably be an amd 64 3000+, asus a8v-d motherboard and a gig of ram.
    Could someone please give me an indication of whether the 6600 will suffice or whether i really do need something more powerful.

thanks for your help

swainy

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I built a new computer a couple of weeks back with a similar spec to what your suggesting, I have a thread over Here.

I will admit I haven't really played games much on my new setup yet, but I have installed Half Life 2 and it looked absolute lush and was running very smooth on high details at 1280 x 1024 resolution. I think it's when you start going above this resolution that you start requiring the bad boy graphic cards.

Giz.

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    6600 will suffice but it all depends on what settings/resolution you want to run. me personally need 1280x1024 for all games and i need all teh eye candy and AA,AF so i went for a 6800GT (ultra's not available then :( ) also depends on your budget. if you can afford the 6800 id say yes get it then you will be asking do i get a NU model or pay more for a GT it never ever ends and you could end up with a 6800 ultra :D im not totally convinced myself that PCI-E is the way forward just yet. yes it has the capacity to do very well but just not yet. for me there is still some life left in the old AGP dog yet, just another thing to consider. also a good quality PSU is a must, ive lost count of how many times ive given this advice to people on this forum but its good advice. im not totally sure the 6600 are that power hungry but the 6800's are. thats all i can think of at the moment but any more Q's fire away.

ps welcome to the forums

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My system has a Gigabyte Fanless 6600GT and it plays games very well it can handle 1280x1024 with settings on high with no AA or AF or 1024x768 on High with AA and AF on

So its more than adequate for todays gaming but if you have the money then the 6800GT is the way to go