1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geforce 4600ti for HCPPC ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gallus23, Jan 17, 2003.

1. gallus23

gallus23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Been thinking of basing my HCPC around a Geforce4600Ti card using the DVI connector to a suitably equiped projector. Possibly a HS10..

The card has a VGA type connector (in addition to the DVI). I was planning to use that as my 'normal' desktop, whilst running the DVI at 1366x768 and using the hardware acceleration to boost the DVD picture

That make sense ?

Has anyone has experience of this card ? Any issues or gotcha's.

Thanx in advance...

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    generally accepted rule here is that the quality of the output from Geforce based cards is not good enough for HCPC, ATI Radeon are the cards of choice.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The reason mainly for that is because the ATi's use 10bit video DAC's I think. If using the DVi connector this is irrelevant.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apparently the 9700 Radeon is now benchmarking gameplay as fast, if not faster, than the latest Geforce cards. I am very tempted with one.

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ATi's fastest 3 cards (9700 Pro, 9700 and 9500 Pro) are all considerably faster than the Ti4600/Ti4800 overall, especially when implementing high levels of aniso filtering and and FSAA.

That should be fine. As ReTrO said, when using the DVI output Geforce/Radeon-based offer pretty much identical quality. I have a Ti4400, a Radeon 9500 and an AIW 7500 and l can't tell them apart through the DVI input of my monitor. I'm sure they all use similar TMDS transmitters anyway (probably based on Silicon Image technology).

MuFu.

6. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an HS10 and currently a GF4 ti4600. However the word is that the DVI output of the GF4 will not drive the HS10 correctly (the max screen size is limited to 1024*768 so you don't get the wide screen). The current thinking is to use the radeon series of cards which is what I'll be buying to fit into my home theatre PC!

7. gallus23

gallus23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So If I use a 9500 or a 9700 can I drive my projector with a wide screen resolution like I meantioned before ?

Would I have to use the VGA connector and not the DVI ?

Sorry for being a newbie . . . !

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Gallus 23

Yeah, either connector from an ATI will be fine for custom resolutions depending on the pj your going to. This is where ATI win over the GF4 as the latter struggles with certain custom resolutions.