GEForce 4 Review in PCPro

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stewart C, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The review ends "The GeForce4 Ti4600 is quite simply the most powerful mainstream graphics card available today"

This is probably not surprising but what is for me is that for the first time, and I quote "We watched a number of DVD's using the GEForce4 and the quality is much improved over GEForce 2 and 3 and on a par with the Radeon 8500"

Now don't get me wrong but £350 is alot to spend on a card, and it should be even better at DVD playback than the Redeon but if it is on par then NVidia GEForce4 cards must now be a serious consideration for DVD playback when building a HCPC.

In the near future they will come down in price as they always do.

Regards

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Nvidia are finally using a 10bit DAC?, along with proper DVD support like motion compensation/assist iCDT.. etc

I`m not knocking Nvidia because I have a Geforce 3 for gaming and their cards/drivers are very good. However the 2D side isn't as good as the Radeon ATI cards.

If I was building a HTPC I would still go for a £80 Radeon rather than a £350 ! Nvidia 'for the same kind of output!'

Just mho of course..

3. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i tend to go matrox for 2d out put, i ad mit no dvd acceleration but with a dual xeon i dont need any :)

the 2d picture quality on a g450/550 is simply superb, the also have great driver support unlike ati.

edd

4. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,866
    But no overlay support on the second "TV" head causes problems.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Early indications are that the Geforce 4 doesn't match Radeons DVD playback quality. Still, any movement in the right direction must be welcomed.