geffen 1080p

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eugdog2, Sep 3, 2007.

1. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 1080p projector - I have noticed that Sky hd picture (which uses 720p or 1080i) is not as good as the picture I get from my 1080p blu ray and HD-DVD players

I saw advertised a Geffern 1080p uscaler - it will upscale any signal to 1080p. Will upscaling a Sky HD picture to 1080p improve the picture quality or its the real problem with the signal quality and no upscaler can really improve it!

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello eugdog2

Keep in mind your SKY HD box is decoding a mix of 576i and 1080i material so will look quite different depending on the program you are viewing.

If you set the SKY HD box to Auto the HD channels/programs will arrive at your Display as 1080i and the SD channels/programs as 576p - the Display then processes those two signals to fill its 1920x1080 pixels.

If you wish to improve on what you are currently seeing with the SD and HD from SKY then an external VP (Video Processor) is worth considering - though you'll likely have to set your sights higher than the Gefen EXT-HOMETS.

The EXT-HOMETS will likely deliver a similar level of performance to the Scaling/Deinterlacing in your Display.

Consider the likes of DVDO, Lumagen or PMS systems with a budget of near 1K before you will see a worthwhile improvement in image quality.

Joe

3. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    A decent VP (with 2:2 pulldown for film based material) will enable decent Sky HD to look like a reasonable HD DVD. But as with the SD channels, there is variation. Some of the films just look plain washed out and soft, whilst others are pristine.

Scart RGB feeding a good processor is an effective route for SD content (personally I find the component o/p acceptable) if forcing 576i over HDMI isn't an option.