Gefen 1:4 Splitter Problem + Sky HD

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Suddy09, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Suddy09

Suddy09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All

I just bought a new Gefen TV 1:4 HDMI splitter, however I am exepriencing problems distributing my Sky HD signal to multiple HD tvs. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

SETUP
    Sky HD---> Gefen Splitter ---> High Quality HDMI cable (12m) to 3 HD TVs (All 1080p)

None of the TVs are getting a picture, even if only one is connected to the splitter.

INVESTIGATIONS
    I have been doing some digging about and thought the issue could be the following:

1)HDCP issues - ruled out as Gefen state that the splitter is compatible. All TVs are brand new up-to-date panasonic models so would expect them to be HDCP compatible.

2)Gefen port setup - gefen advise port 1 should have the main tv connected and all subsequent TVs should be setup to have the same resolution as the main TV in port 1.
    This was ruled out as all the TVs automatically set the resolution depending to the source (SKY HD setting)

3) HDMI cables length - ruled out as I have used shorted length HDMI cables and it still does not work.

4) EDID issues - I do not really understand this. S it could be to do with EDID.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Hello Suddy09

First thing to try is a system reboot - power it all off at the wall.

Then power on one TV and select its HDMI Input, then power on the 1x4 DA then power on SKY HD.

If you get a signal then try the other two TV's.

On paper your elimination list looks good - in practice what these units say on the box is usually of little use in the complicated world of HDMI/HDCP and EDID!

Joe

PS I take it you have confirmed each TV works when plugged direct to SKY HD via the installed cables!

3. Suddy09

Suddy09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe

I will try what you have suggested. When you mention I have to select the HDMI Input, do you mean manually setup what resolution the TV is expecting the signal to be in or just select an HDMI input source and let the TV automatically set the resolution depending on the signal.

I have connected the TVs directly to the Sky HD box and they all work so fingers crossed the reboot works.

Many thanks

mark

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Hello Mark

Once the TV is restarted simply select the relevant HDMI Input on the TV - that way the TV is already looking for an attached HDMI source and is more likely to sync up with it.

Your TV only has one resolution - it scales everything you send it to fill its pixel array.

When the TV sees a new source on HDMI is initiates a discussion with the Source that includes the TV telling the Source what signal types it can handle and the Source then deciding what to send it - at that point you don't have control over anything its all done automatically.

Your Gefen unit should allow the TV and Source to communicate - if the Gefen is causing a problem you can use its EDID button that forces the Source to Output 1080i.

Joe

5. Suddy09

Suddy09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe

I tried rebooting the system in the way you suggested last night and unfortunately I did not get a picture.

One of the multiple TVs, shows that it is receiving an HDMI input signal because it auto adjusts to the Sky HD signal but no imgae/pictures appear.

I read on some forums that Gefen splitters have individual switches inside them mapping to each of the output ports. Supposedly you can access the switches/buttons by opening up the splitter. Does anyone know what these buttons do?

The problem could be a faulty gefen box but its hard in this complicated world of HDMI if this is actually the root cause of the problem.

Thanks

Mark

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Hello Suddy09

Quite a few Gefen units have un-documented 'under the bonnet' features - though I cant say for sure what your unit does or doesn't include.

I'd advise that you speak to you supplier before you pop the lid as you may void the manufacturers warranty.

We used to supply a fair bit of Gefen when it was the only kid on the block but have to say we haven't gotten on too well with a lot of the GefenTV units - they seemed to be fine with 60Hz sources but have problems with 50Hz sources.

Joe

7. Suddy09

Suddy09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe

I have managed to get the splitter working if the source is my Blu-ray Player (Panasonic BD35) and all the TVs (Panasonic 37LZD800, 2 x Panasonic 32LZD85) are showing the BR picture.

I thought it could be something to do with passive or active HDMI cables but the 12m Van Der Hull HDMI cables work fine when the Blu-ray player is the source.

This suggests it is something to do with Sky HD working through the Gefen splitter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    As before I found them fine with most 60Hz source signals but troublesome with 50Hz signals - what happens if you force the BD to Output a 50Hz signal?

Joe