1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geexbox Distro

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve.J.Davies, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Just found the Geexbox linux distro. Basic iso image only 6 meg so burnt and booted and it works great. Runs on very low spec kit.
    Coulkdn't find a reference to it in this forum so thought it worth a post.
    Have yet to play with building a more functional version but the small one hangs together quite well. As it boots from the CD could build a HTPC with no hard disk (and so be very quiet) and network out to hard disk maybe.
    Some work to do yet to find out how much PVR capability can be built in.
    Looks promising.....HTPC could be very much cheaper than I thought...

2. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I built a geexbox machine about a year ago that would boot over the lan via tftpd. There should still be a tutorial on their forums where I explained how to do it. The only (main) hassle I had was that remote control support was spotty. I think they were using lircd, but for the life of me I could never get it to recognise any remotes, even though my serial_ir was working 100% in mythtv as well as windows. I gave up after that:)

3. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    from the on-line doc now it seems very specific about getting remotes to work. Looks well sorted for the listed remotes - have not tried them myself I should add.
    bad news is that it look like recording TV is not (yet) supported. (nor is DVD ripping but that not what HTPCs are for in my view).
    It play DVDs on machines a slow as 400 Mhz so lots of potential in this distro I think.
    Must find time to download the full source and play with a config that boots from HD.
    With TV recording added this could be quite a nice solution.