Geeks ruining xbox live?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Miyazaki, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I have had xbox live pretty much since it launched in the UK and I have noticed over the last year, and more so recently the number of people that are cheating by "making the game run slowly".

I'm not sure what the technical term is, but all of a sudden the game almost halts, and then when it runs smoothly again you have the 7 shades kicked out of you.

Also I am quite a busy person, and only have 2 or 3 hours to myself every day, and can only really justify 1/2 hour or so a night on my xbox (or my wife will issue to divorce papers :eek: :smashin: )

It seems that there are some people on there that stay on 24/7 and I never get a look in, especially on DOA Ultimate (otherwise phenomenal) and it really is beginning to rile me, as it is fast becoming unenjoyable.

Anyone else have the same problem?

2. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah, i hate it as well. the slow down is reffered to 'stand by'. they just slow down the game by makin it lag. it sucks so badly but there just stat whores. H2 is not that enjoyable no more

3. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Rule No.1

Just because you are [email protected] dont be bitter and blame others for your failings :hiya:

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    :laugh:

True, I just wish I could beat someone! It gets so frustrating! :D

5. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hence i dont play Halo 2 any more - far too many glitches+ idiots.
    Stand by is done by putting you router into pause/standby.

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I don't play any games on live anymore. Too many cheats, and MS don't do anything about it! :mad:

I only just got DOA Ultimate, and played it a bit on live, but already being put off.

7. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Err its kinda impossible to slow down halo2 as its not always the same person hosting - halo2 will pick the best connection so if all of a sudden the connection starts to suck it will try and move the hosting to another box .... Cant comment on the others mind ... Yes XBL is full of idiots ... but then again its also got a number of really good guys on there ! Its not just XBL .. there will always be the groups of people who are only interested in stats - i doubt they get any enjoyment out of the games at all !

8. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sadly wrong - i dont know how it works but it does , i've played many games where one person will put he's router in stand by / pause mode (My router hasnt got this option so it might only be usa router???) and the game freezes
    up and says changing host blah blah. But the person who has put it in stand by is able to run around (while you watch a blank screen with changing host... on it) after 20-30 seconds the game comes back and you find yourself dead.
    Theres another one that will lag the game up but doesnt lag the person thats doing it so he can run around no problem and kill any one.
    Then of course there the Dummy glitch and the sword glitch.

I still love playing live but now only play games like R6 BA and GR2 as the glitching is alot less.

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    That's the thing with online gaming unfortunately. Whilst it sounds great, there will always be geeks and No-Lifes that spend all day on it becoming spottier & virtually unbeatable at whatever game(s) that they are playing. Your "normal" person with a partner, house, career, kids, pets, social life etc is left almost unable to enjoy the experience as naturally a geek who spends 14 hours a day playing say Halo 2 will shoot the crap out of me (who perhaps plays it once a week or so). Infact I got so bored with Halo 2 on live that I sacked it off ages ago.

The ONLY game that I play on live now is PES4 and that's because I am pretty reasonable at it and can actually win more games than I lose. I don't have the time though to become as proficient at other games as I have become at PES.

PC games are the same - you have to get killed about 5,289,768,190 times and spend 3 1/2 years playing counterstrike before you can even hope to match the 24/7ers on that game and frankly it's just not feasable for the average gamer (unless I guess you make it the only game that you really play).

X-Box live is a great service but I must say that I only ever use it for PES now and I can't see that changing. I'll buy Forza Motorsport and play that online for a bit but I just know that there will be people on it all day who will end up setting ridiculous laptimes and sadly I will not be able to devote the time to the game to remain competetive.

I guess ranking systems go some way to matching players of similar skills but this doesn't stop cheating I guess.

10. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Im sorry I have to totally disagree - where would we be if we only played games we were good at - I take your point that we dont get as much time as some people online ( I took am married, own a house etc etc ) but when I do play I dont mind getting my ass whippe - yer sometimes I get it whipped by some asshole who bad mouths all the time in some deep hicksville accent which can get annoying .. but getting beat by a better man / woman online is no shame ... I can actually pick up one or two tips of them from time to time. I get more than an hour an evening, probably on average about 5-10 hours a week of XBL action ... and I must admit I would be pretty bored if the only games I played were the ones I was good at ... gess just look at some of my PES4 results to see Im still struggling on ... My advice .. keep playing even when you are getting beat - practice makes perfect, or at the very least better than you are now !

11. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Oh and in response to the standby mode .. if you look at the number of players you start the game with .. then all of a sudden it goes to connecting ......... take a look at the number of players playing when it comes back .. at least one will have gone .... the person who was hosting normally, hence the reason the game needs to reconnect ... I dont think Ive ever come back from this connecting ... phase to be dead ... and in fact normally come back and am better off in the rankings as the person who has just quit was above me !

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    I know what you are saying Monkey Leader and I don't mind getting beat at a game. The point is that there is only the time to practice a small number of games so that you can actually compete. If you can't get to a position where you can actually compete at the game then it's boring for both sides really.

13. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Okay heres a suggestion - why cant we get organised and get some kind of AVForums XBOX lan party on the go - ive played against you lot lots of times and its great - lets try and get some place organised and get 2gether for some live action ! Can u imagine competiions of PES2, Halo2 and Burnout 3 ... If I could get a gaff in Cambridge who would be up for it ?

14. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Sounds good to me, I have pro evo 4 and DOA ultimate and outrun 2 and halo 2 on live.

I'd probably enjoy it more if I knew I wasn't playing with cheaters!

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Yeah sounds good - I have PES4, PGR2, Topspin, Halo2, Burnout3 that are all pretty good on live!

I've been looking at that DOA ultimate - looks a great game with some top remakes of the originals. :thumbsup:

I was also thinking that if we could get say 10 people together for a mamouth session on 1 day then we could play a PES league in one bash - with the fixture order arranged before hand. This avoids the senario where it's spread out and hard to find the people you're meant to be playing against. Of course we could then arrange future days where we say have a Burnout3 session or a Top Spin tourney or just a Halo 2 party! :thumbsup:

We don't neccesarily have to all meet up, we could do it over the net using XB Live - Cambs is a bit far for me to travel. If something is well organised and done on a day that everyone is free on then it should work out fine.

Exactly, it would be far more enjoyable. If we could get a regular group of people going then it would be superb!

16. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yep that the normal way the game runs - as it selects who has the best connection and of course if he leaves the games pauses and chooses the next best. The stand by cheat is different and very very annoying - its happened a number of times to me usually in team CTF matches against yanks - one time it happened i was guarding the flag - no one was close i was in corner waiting with shotgun crouched so didnt so up on radar. my 3 team mates were just outside guarding the main entrance.None o f the enemy team were in sight. When the other team did the stand by cheat, screen freezes. connectin connecting.....
    Comes back on and i'm dead so are my 3 team mates and the other team is running away with our flag - by the time we spawned they had scored.

17. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ok so its impossible to do the stand by cheat ?? Then why has bungie released a patch that helps to stop the stand by cheat (doesnt stop it totally but does help to track who's doing it)

18. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    im up for something like that over live. im sick of the americans on live. its not the fact i get beat its the trash talking from 14 yr old kids. im an adult i dont need this is my life and its put me offf the game totally. ive emailed bungie a few times about creating different servers for parts of the globe ie european servers where u join depening on your region. id much rather that than the yanks online. ive been meaning to get Burnout 3 on live so guys give me an excuse ;)

19. chillo

chillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    i agree with halo2 on live being fustrating at times, but it is still a very good game online. I tend to play with the same group out of my friends list but you still get american kids being complete tools. Why are they like this? no one else does it? don't they realise how much it pi**es people off? and must create major anti american sentiment with some folks.
    one thing i have noticed is after the stat reset it is rare to get a good game at times, there is lots of people who are very good but still floating around with a low rank, i'm not bad at halo but some of these you come against are so sh*t hot they just aren't making it fun. i'm hoping the stats will settle down and people that ranked 18 and above will regain there former levels cos they are too dam good.

i tend to ignore the world rankings on any game and just like to compare against mates :smashin:

20. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    You should ignore the rankings . Bungie say as much themselves.
    Saying that I don't have the time to play online very much these days.
    The odd game of counter-strike souce every so ogten and thats about it although I do love the VON implimentation on Halo2 ....really brings a sense of cammeraderie to the game.

21. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I do agree with that but the advantage of having them is that it does match you against players of a similar ability.
    However, as chillo says, there still seems to be many very good players on a low rank and as several games this week have showed there isn't much fun in a continual respawn and die and respawn and die game.

Hopefully over the next few weeks this should balance out.
    I am still really enjoying this game but it does make a huge difference if you can play with mates rather than just join games in Optimatch, especially in Team Skirmish.

22. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Tend to rely on my friends list to avoid lag / cheating / call it what you will.

I'm a big fan of PES4, and am prone to the odd case of the screaming ab-dabs whenever I approach an opponents penalty area and...then...eveything...really....slows....down....and-then-suddenly-they've-stolen-the-ball-and-are-closing-in-on-your-keeper!

Friends list avoids all of this - plus it's much more fun playing against people you actually get to know, rather than complete (sometimes voiceless) strangers.

All for an AVForums LIVE get together, if you get it off the ground.

Live tag: Pfc Spud

23. rb5201

rb5201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I have been playing with a clan called blueblood on Halo 2 for a while now, all british (no americans allowed) and all my age group (30). All sorts of games are played including some variations such as no shooting allowed (melee attack only which is harder than it sounds!) Its much better playing with people you get to know than whining kids, plus they are all about as bad as me at it!!

24. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I agree it's much better to play people you know, Match making did my head right in. it would have been better to start are own rooms that were open to the public aswell as your friends list. Mouthy yanks have put me right off this game, they think it's real life don't they? Oh well i've sold it now and can't say i'll miss it.

On to forza. :thumbsup:

25. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    I have vowed never to play another matchmade game in Halo 2. The lag makes it an uneven playing field in favour of the US and it just highlights my natural crapness even more. Not to mention the shouty yanks. Friends list from now on.

As for Forza, unfortunately, matchmaking will still put you up against our 'friends' across the pond, though lag should play a far less important role in racing well. Cross fingers :rolleyes:

26. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Good thing with Forza i have a lot more friends that are in to racing than they were halo2, so i'll fill the rooms easy. :thumbsup:

27. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got that sick of Live I gave it up, due to annoying kids and quitters etc. For me not everyone on my friends list (that I could get good games) were on Live (due to my job), and I got that pig sick of it. Being 34yrs old I also got alot of offensive swines who seemed to think that playing games was akin to perversion.
    I was playing games since the launch of the ZX81, and have always enjoyed them. After 4 months without Live and playing single player, I am going to go back on (Si kindly gave me a trial code) so I'll see if its improved.
    I tend to boot up xbox when I can get the odd hour here or there (so am not very good - which was not acceptable to alot of people who then boot you !! for not being up there skillwise). Here goes then.

28. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea about this kinda thing because I don't have an XBOX, but, do they do a service were users have to be over 18 to play? Or can you limit connections to games set up running in your own country?

29. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have an Xbox....

But thought you guy's might be interested in this:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6124293/p-5.html

Sounds to me like MS are aware of a lot of the 'live' issues and are planning to fix them (for Xbox 360 at least)....

Mark.

30. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Halo has been comprehensively patched recently. The standy trick dosnt work anymore, if they detect its happening the person responsible is removed I believe, the other glitches in the enviroment, sword etc have also been patched.

In reality it was never a major issue anyway, it infrequently happend to me to be honest and I have spent alot of time on Halo 2.

I rarely get lag on Halo 2, most of the time people who are having problems either :

(1) problem with connection

(2) problem with setup

(3) Using wireless (THis causes loads and loads of problems with lag in my experience)

Also I am normally in a squad with people based in the uk, so at least 4 people are not a high overhead on the game.