1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

geeforce up date

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by jelly, Oct 19, 2003.

1. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    at the mo i have a geeforce 2 440mx gc in my 750mh pc soon im getting a new pc which has a 2.2mh processer and i think i should update my graphics to run half life 2, m.o.h.r.s. doom 3 budget around 70--100 £

2. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

If I had to buy a video card today I would be more inclined to opt for a Radeon card. In your price range the Radeon 9600 Pro would be ideal. Its only a mid range card but it would be a huge step up from the GeForce 2 MX. The cheapest I’ve seen one is here at Overclockers: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_PowerColor_149.html. It’s the PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB priced at £111.51.

These cards, however, will soon to be replaced by the Radeon 9600XT range (which are slightly faster cards). If your budget can stretch to it, I’d say it’s a worthwhile investment. I haven’t really looked around for prices since they haven’t been released yet (they’re expected to ship around November), but looking on the same website, the cheapest one I’ve seen is the Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB priced at £138.06 (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Sapphire_143.html). This looks to be a pretty good deal to me. Since ATI signed a huge deal with Valve it also means you get the SINGLE PLAYER version of Half-Life 2 for free when it comes out (probably in early 2004 now).

I would have a look at these reviews so you get an idea of their relative performance (these include GeForce cards as well):

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1904
    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3093161
    http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/radeon_9600xt.shtml

Another thing worth noting is the Radeon cards, at present, perform quite a bit better in HL2 than the 'equivalent' GeForce cards. Although the current benchmarks will not purely reflect that of the final game, I don’t think they will be able to surpass that of the Radeon series (or even really close the gap to much extent) even if Nvidia do release their ‘improved’ drivers as promised. On the other hand, Doom III is being optimised for Nvidia so their cards take the crown in these benchmarks as opposed to ATI. However, these benchmarks were carried out a long time ago and therefore a lot could change between then and the final game (which again is due out early next year). The benchmarks for HL2 have been taken far closer to its expected release date and therefore should be more representative of the final game.

If you care to do so, you can have a look at the HL2 benchmarks here:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1863

Hope this helps,

Alex

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Alex,

The card you mention is not a true 9600 pro. Rather it is a 9600 with the cpu o/clocked to 9600 pro levels, while the memory remains the same speed as the none pro version. They are much slower than the real 9600 pros. I nearly made this mistake. All cards configured to this slower (but cheaper) spec are badged "EZ".
    The proper card is a couple of entries below that and retails for £126.31.
    I do agree that the 9600 pro is the card to get, though, and wouldn't get an nvidia card at the mo.

Russell

4. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :hiya: :smashin: :smashin:

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Jelly,

I would wait till after Christmas, the new Radeons have just been released and prices will remain high due to the festive season.

If you wait till after Christmas you should be able to pick up a slightly cheaper Radeon, that will also come with a free copy of HL2 :)

6. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
    I would also wait until after christmas as Sinzer says, as this time of year the prices will be held high.

Also, if you are waiting to play games like HL2 and Doom 3, then you might as well buy the latest hardware when they are launched.

I myself have been putting off building a new PC for a while now as i can't see the point upgrading until the next generation of CPU's and GFX cards come out as these are what the next generation of games will really require to play at high detail

7. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the information / correction Russell! I have to say they’re a bit misleading then since it doesn’t mention this in their product description – you’d only notice this difference by looking at the product’s specification (in particular the memory speed). When looking at the 9600 Pro title, I assumed the specifications were that of a ‘real’ Pro card... Anyway, I had a look around the net for some more info on this and came up with the following (if anyone’s interested):

“What if we make a hybrid of the RADEON 9600 and 9600 PRO? Well, this is what C.P.Technology did: it launched the RADEON 9600 PRO EZ. This solution is based on a cheaper PCB from the RADEON 9600, has cheaper TSOP memory, but the chip used is RADEON 9600 PRO (400 MHz). That resulted in a card with just the memory clock lowered (relative the RADEON 9600 PRO - 200 (400) MHz instead of 300 (600)). Later on we will estimate its performance, but do remember that it's just a bit dearer than the RADEON 9600.”

Source: Digit-Life

Therefore, it looks like you’ll be paying around £125 for a Radeon 9600 Pro instead - as Russell quite rightly pointed out. For example: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Sapphire_143.html. This brings the card even closer to that of the Radeon 9600XT in terms of price. Therefore, as mentioned above, it would probably be a better idea to spend the extra £10 and get that (if your budget can stretch to it. Remember you’ll be getting the free single player version of HL2 as well). If you’re currently not desperate for a new card, then I agree with what holtehero said – wait until HL2 and Doom III have been released and see how each of the cards on the market fair then.

Alex

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Yeah, I should have said 9600 XT, not pro. It was early in the morning - what can I say? :suicide:

Russell

9. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I have just bought a Radeon 9800 pro and its excellent.

Even the heaviest games it runs smoothly with anti-aliasing set to x4 ( i think thanks to its 256 bit memory architecture ).

And I have compared the anti-aliasing settings with an Nvidia TI4600 I have in another computer.

With anti-aliasing set to x4 the ATI card provides alot smoother lines where as the TI4600 still has slight jaggy lines. ATI wins on the anti-aliasing quality