Quantcast

Gecko home cinema forum days

Per156GTA

I've played the Muse album in the Rives room, the_dude2 bought it over, and not being familiar with their music before, I was pleasantly surprised, and to be honest play the album at home quite a lot now.
I am a big Muse fan, but hated it when it came out. Saw them in concert recently. Now absolutely love the album.

Here are the first few photos of Nigel's cinema.....
Hi Everyone,

Since this forum has some pretty severe limitations on maximum attached file sizes (e.g. 300KB for JPGs! :thumbsdow), which significantly reduces the image quality of photographs, I have posted the full size (unreduced) photos online remotely and you can see them in their full glory HERE:

PHOTO 1

PHOTO 2

PHOTO 3

PHOTO 4

PHOTO 5

Enjoy! :)

NOTE: To view the photos in their ORIGINAL SIZE, after clicking the link you will need to click the Magnifying Glass in the bottom right of the image that is displayed; wherein a window will open with the image in it, then click the Magnifying Glass in the bottom right of the image AGAIN and the image will be displayed FULL SIZE

P.S. You can see just how small the Steinway Lyngdorf S-15 speakers are in PHOTO 5 where you can see how large it is in comparison to a Blu-Ray Case :cool:

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I love the pictures Nigel and who needs to look at the pj screen when you have that glorious starfield ceiling it must look magical.:thumbsup:

My only criticism would be having gone to all the trouble making the room a total batcave and putting in the best sound and vision available why choose cream for the seating.:eek:

It obviously makes it easier to find the seats but they stick out like a sore thumb to me and would spoil my field of view especially if sitting on the back row of seats.Maybe it's not as bad in real life but from the pics it stands out as the wrong colour to me, black or a dark red or blue would have gone much better..

Other than that it's a big :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: from me.

Steve413

Keith
The seating colour only really lights up when the lights are on....honestly mate once the lights go off including the Star ceiling when a film is on you do not even notice the seats.
This is by far the most thought about design of any room, plus you get so sucked into the picture and sound that everything else just disappears.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Hi Steve, as I said I am going by the pics, I will take your word that once the lights are off they are not an issue.:thumbsup:

I would love to see it in person as I am sure it is an awesome design & install, it's just a shame it's so far otherwise I would be down like a shot, assuming of course Nigel/yourselves extended an invite.:D

Cheers

Keith

Steve413

The invite is there Keith, and for anyone else that wants to come along.
I will be arranging some more visits, PHTheLoverman, Richmagnus and Mcclane22 all want to come along.
Friday of next week is a date in mind.....(5th July)

kbfern

Distinguished Member

ideal av

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
before this gets out of control I now have design and patent rights to any Devore suiteridge so remember the royalities :D

what a great room though, nice one Nigel

i`ve heard from both Rob and Steve and it looks and sounds awesome they tell me :thumbsup:

the_dude2

I will be arranging some more visits, PHTheLoverman, Richmagnus and Mcclane22 all want to come along.
Hi Steve

If i can rearrange my sessions can I come along on this date as well please?

PHTheLoverman

Hi Keith

You have a point. Do you think Nigel should provide visitors with black face paint and a black velour Onesey?
What de arse? You'll have us singing "Mammy" next...

the_dude2

I am a big Muse fan, but hated it when it came out. Saw them in concert recently. Now absolutely love the album.
Im a HUGE Muse fan :) Ive seen them about 7 times now, they are so good live. I wish they would release a bluray of one of their latest concerts, i bet it would sound and look excellent.

AFM1

Nigel did explain that the seats were an asthetic choice to keep the cinema from looking too much like a dungeon, so it wasn't an oversight. It's nice for you eyes to be able to see things to help give the room depth when a movie isn't playing, just makes it feel nicer, but during the movie you don't notice them. In the flesh it does work and they look (and feel) really good.

MemX

Those photos were with the lights on! lol

AFAIK there are only the downlighters on the chairs, the screen lights that highlight the artwork, the star ceiling, and the blue lights on the rear wall, along with a couple of downlighters down the sides to light the steps and the edges of the floor area in front of the screen.

I don't believe there are any general ambient lighting fittings in the room, there is no need AIUI because it's a personal room rather than a public venue :)

I may be wrong of course... :rolleyes: :laugh:

EDIT: too slow :facepalm: lol

Last edited:
Going back to those seats Steve, I think Nigel missed a trick there, if he had gone with black seats...
Keith, I totally get your point however you need to trust me that the room design really works; and the cream colour seating was absolutely deliberate in this regard, and for a variety of reasons (all carefully planned during the design phase) they are not in any regards whatsoever visually intrusive. Black seats would have been a huge mistake with regards to the aesthetics of the room.

I really would love for you to come and visit; and then you can see for yourself how the whole room works. The problem is the photos do not unfortunately illustrate this. :)

Herbiefish

What sort of lights are on the back wall? Absolutely love the ceiling! Can the ceiling lights stay on during playback or does it effect the image?

Really sweet room :)

ideal av

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What sort of lights are on the back wall? Absolutely love the ceiling! Can the ceiling lights stay on during playback or does it effect the image?

Really sweet room :)
The photos haven't captured the back wall lights very well unfortunately. What it actually looks like is a series of blue dashes like this: - - - - -
and these are floating in a black void; i.e. none of the lighting illuminates the wall fabric. The light source is in fact 5 inches off the wall surface and projects light away from the wall, specifically to attain this 'floating' effect. :) N.B., The light fittings themselves did not exist so I made them from lighting parts cobbled together with a bespoke-made backbox :)

And yes the ceiling lights can stay on during playback without significantly affecting the image quality; basically this comes down to personal preference... I prefer to turn all the lights off, but someone else might prefer to keep them on. By the way, the ceiling also incorporates shooting stars, which obviously is not apparent in the photos. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Keith

You have a point. Do you think Nigel should provide visitors with black face paint and a black velour Onesey?
All joking aside, I happen to wear a black t-shirt, black pants and black trainers to site; and someone recently commented on how all they could see of me was my disembodied head floating around the room... it seriously creeped them out :D

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi guys,
I'm afraid I will be on duty that Friday keeping the lovely folk of West Hampstead safe so I'm not going to be able to make it.

Steve I will PM you some dates I will be free if that is ok with Nigel,but I understand this is not a tourist attraction and you guys lead busy lives too.

starfish11

Hi guys,
I'm afraid I will be on duty that Friday keeping the lovely folk of West Hampstead safe so I'm not going to be able to make it.

Steve I will PM you some dates I will be free if that is ok with Nigel,but I understand this is not a tourist attraction and you guys lead busy lives too.
Hi I am guessing you a fireman? I'm sure someone just might want to do a fire safety check on that date eh.... Only a sneaky idea pal

Bloody hell :eek: How you get on when you want to run the hover around :)
I wear night-vision goggles :D

I assume the ceiling lights aren't just normal fibre optic ones then if you can have shooting stars lol?
You are correct sir :smashin:

The ceiling lighting is in fact by NUMINUS :)

Hi guys,

I am pretty flexible as I am on site 6 days a week at the moment :)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Bloody hell :eek: How you get on when you want to run the hover around :)

You gotta be joking Neil,Nigel has everything covered I bet he has one of those auto hovers that work on their own, all automatic just press 1 button and leave the room for an hour.:D

Thanks for the invite Nigel I would love to come down but you are 120 miles or so away so a bit of an expense and a full day out just to pop in for an hour.:)

If you need a night watchman to guard the place for you though I am your man, I work cheap only £100 a night and free use of the theater while I am working zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :devil: