Gecko home cinema forum days

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
That 370" on your shopping list Nigel[emoji6]
Well as of yesterday I got a more modest 65 4K UHDTV...!
Even at this size you can see the benefits of 4K, plus it's HDR capable too.!
Tried some HDR clips and I can see what all the fuss is about.
If it looks this good on my 65", can only imagine what it will look like on your next build or at Gecko HQ...!

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Hey, don’t hold back… Say what you really think :laugh:
Haha! I've really no pref with TV's as they're all a bit samey at 65'' or less. But it does make you think how much bloody resolution can they cram in there and still expect people to be able to tell the difference, the human eye has it's limits.

I remember seeing the 50'' Pioneers in Best Buy for $10,000 - they were only 720p too, but they smashed the balls off everything else. Also remember Pioneers rear projection monster, had to get that out of a lorry for a show, it was like moving a morbidly obese hippo.

11K.. they're just making sh*t up now.

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
Poetic post as Always Rock...![emoji6]

Haha! I've really no pref with TV's as they're all a bit samey at 65'' or less. But it does make you think how much bloody resolution can they cram in there and still expect people to be able to tell the difference, the human eye has it's limits...
Shhh... Don't let the TV manufacturers know that! The great thing about all these super-ridiculously-gargantuan sized TVs is that they drive down the prices of all the 65" or less size TVs which are the ones that 99.9999% of everybody actually buys ;)

Well as of yesterday I got a more modest 65 4K UHDTV...! Even at this size you can see the benefits of 4K, plus it's HDR capable too.!
Tried some HDR clips and I can see what all the fuss is about. If it looks this good on my 65", can only imagine what it will look like on your next build or at Gecko HQ...!
I'm hoping I will be able to check out HDR at Gecko in about a weeks' time. The problem at the moment is that whilst both Rob and I have a bunch of 4K HDR Blu-Rays there's nothing to play them on yet! I discussed with Rob what could be done with these in the interim and suggested he could admire the snazzy covers and stroke them fondly when the wife isn't looking while he waits for the 4K HDR Blu-Ray player to arrive :D

Phil1975

Distinguished Member

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Thanks for the 4k downloads. I'm off on holiday for a long weekend and will let me antiquated broadband down load these while I'm away. I have a 4K Blu Ray coming next week (thanks a million to Nigel A) but the picture I'm already getting from the Sony 520 is simply stonking so its hard to believe its going to get that much better but I'm very excited to see....

Thanks for the 4k downloads. I'm off on holiday for a long weekend and will let me antiquated broadband down load these while I'm away. I have a 4K Blu Ray coming next week (thanks a million to Nigel A) but the picture I'm already getting from the Sony 520 is simply stonking so its hard to believe its going to get that much better but I'm very excited to see....
Further to the 4K HDR video material I will be bringing along to GECKO HQ a whole load of demo material specifically selected to have audio tracks in NATIVE DTS:X, NATIVE DOLBY ATMOS and NATIVE AURO-3D for a fully comprehensive back-to-back comparison style 'Next-Generation-Audio Head-To-Head Showdown' between all three of the new next-generation audio tehnologies... I will be comparing these, as well as evaluating the upscaling of standard content to the three new audio formats as well; and of course I will be posting here my findings ;)

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Further to the 4K HDR video material I will be bringing along to GECKO HQ a whole load of demo material specifically selected to have audio tracks in NATIVE DTS:X, NATIVE DOLBY ATMOS and NATIVE AURO-3D for a fully comprehensive back-to-back comparison style 'Next-Generation-Audio Head-To-Head Showdown' between all three of the new next-generation audio tehnologies... I will be comparing these, as well as evaluating the upscaling of standard content to the three new audio formats as well; and of course I will be posting here my findings ;)

Hmm.. I dunno.. It doesn't really feel like you're taking this seriously enough - have you factored in the current position of Mars and what grade of tan Rob will be at the given time?

Ringnut

Distinguished Member
Nigel, have you completed your review of the Sony 5000 yet?

Hmm.. I dunno.. It doesn't really feel like you're taking this seriously enough...
I think you're right... Clearly I must try harder! ;)

Rob please can you kindly organize in advance of my arrival the right cardboard boxes for plonking the speakers on top of :smashin:

Nigel, have you completed your review of the Sony 5000 yet?
As it happens I am finishing it right now... So watch this space :thumbsup:
v

jaygreen

Only just joined this forum and hope it's not too off topic. But is this Gecko home cinema that use to be zebra home cinema in Croydon a few years back. Just out of interest bought a lot of gear from them.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Only just joined this forum and hope it's not too off topic. But is this Gecko home cinema that use to be zebra home cinema in Croydon a few years back. Just out of interest bought a lot of gear from them.

Yep.

jaygreen

Well Rob never steered me wrong I'm still using the kef 103 mkss150 def tech speakers and mk sub he sold me years ago lol. As well as only recently changing out the lexicon mc12(whatever did happen to lexicon)

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
From Zebra to Gecko I'm seeing a pattern here...![emoji6]

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Gecko was originally called The Mafia Trading Co which I thought was a great name, but some US companies thought trading with the Mafia was a bad idea. Wimps!

Half the people in the home cinema industry seem to have started as Zebra customers.

Hi Jay….welcome (back) to the club. Please come by sometime and see what I’ve been up to the last 20 years…..

jaygreen

Thanks Rob I'd love to. But whether you can top that eagles live laserdisc played on that rear projection tv we'll just have to see [emoji4]

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Thanks Rob I'd love to. But whether you can top that eagles live laserdisc played on that rear projection tv we'll just have to see [emoji4]
He now plays the blu ray version of it

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
If nothing else..!
Avengers is his all time favourite Demo Disc...[emoji6]

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Aaah yes, the modified Pioneer 50” tellies. They were good. We sold one to Mick Jagger of all people! Do you remember the first DTS dems with the Millennium decoder? Casper sounded incredible in the jungle room on some really entry level audio kit, but there was so little content….shame.

I'm amazed it’s taken so long for source formats to get where they need to be. The rate of improvement in systems over the last few years has just gone crazy. I think this digital thing is here to stay…

One of the guys I worked with started cross dressing, another moved to Brighton and became very spiritual and another changed his name and moved to Norfolk. I think that’s a Grand Slam.

On the downside one went and started selling Artcoustic so those years were not without casualties.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett