Gears of War Ultimate Edition Xbox One

Waste of time, IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I love Gears.
I own them all on Xbox360 and have put many, many hours into them.
I just think that waiting til next year, 3 years after the launch of Xbox One, to release a remaster is just a complete waste of time. Time which should have been spent on creating a brand new GoW game.

I agree that the timing is a bit off and that it should have been out sooner but nothing beats the shotgun battles of Gears 1, I'm looking forward to this.

Do you know for certain they aren't working on a new gears? This could just be a space filler, a space filler I would be more than happy with.

Gears of War remaster set for Xbox One - report • Eurogamer.net

I thought the remaster was out this year and new gears is next year.

I thought the remaster was out this year and new gears is next year.

That's what I thought?

They should have had a gears remaster ready at launch or just after, sales would have been massive.

Saying that, I know a few people that will jump ship now this is coming, it's what a lot of people have been waiting for.

You do know that, just like, Halo:MCC and 343, separate studios are doing this work. Black Tusk probably only has an overseeing role so takes little away from their work on the next Gears.

If they don't mess it up like MCC then it should do well as a lot of people still favour the original playstyle. Depends how the MP system works since it is server browser based.

I'll be all over this as I only bothered with the first one which I never finished.

Big fat no for me. Taking away from it being another remaster (like we haven't had enough) id be very cautious of buying something like GOW which is a pretty big time sink from a developer which hasn't done very much. You just have to see what a disaster 343 made of the Halo Collection. Add into that that the GOW games were notoriously buggy for wipping your progress stats as happend to me on 2 + 3.

Big fat no for me. Taking away from it being another remaster (like we haven't had enough) id be very cautious of buying something like GOW which is a pretty big time sink from a developer which hasn't done very much. You just have to see what a disaster 343 made of the Halo Collection. Add into that that the GOW games were notoriously buggy for wipping your progress stats as happend to me on 2 + 3.

How many remasters have we had on xb1?? I didn't think it was that many.

As for bugs, that's a fact of life now like it or not, be it a remaster, new ip or what ever..patches are here!!

The Gears franchise was massive for lots of gamers, this is a good thing and I'm all over it!!

You don't have to buy it day one. Just wait and see before putting money into it. I will be waiting.

If it follows the same pattern as Halo MCC, then I guess an E3 official announcement followed by a holiday release.

Gears 1-3 with another big MP mashup that doesn't work properly followed by giving us Judgement somewhere down the line as an apology. :rotfl:

On a serious note, really wouldn't mind this as a remaster and despite the mess that MCC was, I loved the idea and layout behind it.

A Gears of War remaster containing at least the first 3 Gears games plus all DLC for those games (if Gears of War Judgement is included that's an added bonus but I could see that being DLC) running at 60 frames per second with updated lighting sort of like Halo MMC would be very good to me.

If it's true they could release it in early to mid 2016 as an anniversary thing and MS would have more games released earlier in the year (rather than most stuff coming out in Q3/Q4) and Black Tusk would have some more time to build their game (something in Q3/Q4 2017 and this could stop the 2 year cycle of Halo games too giving 343 more time for Halo 6).

How many remasters have we had on xb1?? I didn't think it was that many.

Tomb Raider
Saints Row 4
Sleeping Dogs
Diablo 3
DmC Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 4(coming soon)
GTA V
Borderlands collection
Halo collection
The Walking Dead season 1 + 2
Dark Souls 2
Minecraft
Metro 2033/Last Light
Payday 2
Far Cry 3(according to an Amazon listing)
State of Decay

Last edited:
Tomb Raider
Saints Row 4
Sleeping Dogs
Diablo 3
DmC Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 4(coming soon)
GTA V
Borderlands collection
Halo collection
Dark Souls 2
Minecraft
Metro 2033/Last Light
Payday 2
Far Cry 3(according to an Amazon listing)
State of Decay

I didn't realise there was that many, I really don't have a problem with remasters if the game warrants it, I don't think the likes of Saint row etc.. do but each to their own, I lose nothing by having them available to me and I'm struggling to see the negative?We've already established that the remasters are worked on by different studios and don't delay the next true instalment of the franchise so I don't see why they should bother anyone.

Regardless of how many remastered games we've had before it, being able to link up with some of my old gaming pals back on THE GAME that brought us all together in the first place will be something else and I for one can't wait "frag out"

Last edited:
It's a smart move to build interest and attract new players to the series before the next "proper" entry to the series lands (presumably) next year.

The key to this is what they expect people to pay. If it's full price, forget it. If it's £20ish, I may be tempted.

I can't see them pricing it as low as £20 but even at £30 -£40 this would still work out good value for me, it would get played to death!

I'd be more interested in a GoW collection featuring the main 3 games(and all DLC) as a build up to the release of a fully fledged, next-gen follow up than a standalone remaster of the first game for a 10 year anniversary.

Judgemeant to be in it just 1 2 and 3 epic only made them

Also there is a playtest that started last night

1223564059596802850.jpg

Tomb Raider
Saints Row 4 - Sequel, not a remaster
Sleeping Dogs
Diablo 3
DmC Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 4(coming soon) - Sequel
GTA V - Sequel, just because it came out on Xbox 360 first, doesn't make it a remaster, it makes it a port
Borderlands collection
Halo collection - This is a remaster!
Dark Souls 2
Minecraft - Remaster? It's just been ported to the One and PS4.. what is it remastered on?
Metro 2033/Last Light
Payday 2
Far Cry 3(according to an Amazon listing) - A sequel.. When did Far Cry 3 previously get released?
State of Decay

I think you are getting mixed up with Sequels, remasters and ports. IMO they aren't the same things. Just because a game hit 360 first, doesn't make it a remaster, I would call it a port. A remaster to me is Halo 2 (and the MCC) it is an old game that has been brought back to life using the power of the Xbox One, completely remastered and then packaged in the MCC. Which is exactly what Gears would be, Remastered for Xbox One's specs years after original release.

That's my take on it anyway. I definitely wouldn't call Minecraft a remaster, it's been ported over to the One as it has many other platforms, it is a current game still being made and updated.

I might buy a bundle of all the GOW games as I've not played all of them, but just thee first one?. Seems like something they should stick up on Games With Gold that month and make a big song and dance over it.

Judgemeant to be in it just 1 2 and 3 epic only made them

Also there is a playtest that started last night

1223564059596802850.jpg

Not sure what you're trying to say here.
Judgment is going to be in it?
It isn't going to be in it but the first 3 are?

I think you are getting mixed up with Sequels, remasters and ports. IMO they aren't the same things. Just because a game hit 360 first, doesn't make it a remaster, I would call it a port. A remaster to me is Halo 2 (and the MCC) it is an old game that has been brought back to life using the power of the Xbox One, completely remastered and then packaged in the MCC. Which is exactly what Gears would be, Remastered for Xbox One's specs years after original release.

That's my take on it anyway. I definitely wouldn't call Minecraft a remaster, it's been ported over to the One as it has many other platforms, it is a current game still being made and updated.

I'll give you Minecraft.
The rest though have been advertised as next-gen remasters, though.

I'll agree to disagree!

Sequels and ports aren't remastered games, Gears is 10 years old, its that what makes it a remastered title imo. :)

Loved gears back in the day but I've really little interest in it now. Well at a £30+ price point anyway. I'll wait til it's sub £20 before I pick it up again. Only really liked gow 1&2. The 3rd was average along with judgement.

I'll agree to disagree!

Sequels and ports aren't remastered games, Gears is 10 years old, its that what makes it a remastered title imo. :)

Yeah, but a port is a game that has literally been ported from one system to the next, otherwise untouched.
All of those games I mentioned were originally released on previous gen systems.
They've all been reworked in some way to make them look and run better on next-gen systems.
Hence remastered.

Edit: Okay, I've just seen the remarks you made when you quoted me.
Firstly, Saints Row 4 was originally released on Xbox360 in 2013. The release has been touched up to run better on Xbox One, plus it has added all DLC.
Devil May Cry 4 was originally released on Xbox360 in 2008.
GTA V again was originally released on Xbox360 in 2013, and just like Saints Row 4 it has been reworked to run better on next-gen as well as adding all previously released DLC.
And Far Cry 3 was originally released on Xbox360 in 2012.

Again, all games have been previously released on last gen consoles and have been reworked to run/look better on next gen.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom