Gears of War 3 set to SMASH previous records

Dinky Dragon

Novice Member
hehe gotta love titles that lead you on. Ive copy and pasted the article (which is very interesting in itself) and the source link - Americas Preorders Chart, 23 April 2011 - Gears 3 On Record Pace - VGChartz

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview
After three games in their final week last week, there are no games this week. The top five games include Gears of War 3 (X360), Brink (X360), L.A. Noire (X360), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), and Metal Fight Beyblade (DS). The top four games have 100,000 or more pre-orders. One game adds 50,000 or more pre-orders, two add 20,000 or more pre-orders and four add 10,000 or more pre-orders.
Games in final week before launch
There are no games this in its final week before launch.
Other Hot Games
Brink.png

Brink for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 add a combined 36,000 pre-orders, up from 24,000 last week, for a combined total of 214,000. The Xbox 360 version is at number two as it adds 31,000 pre-orders, up from 19,000 the previous week, for a total of 175,000. The PlayStation 3 version is at number 15 as it adds 5,000 pre-orders, the same as last week, for a total of 49,000.
LANoire.png

L.A. Noire for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 add a combined 25,000 pre-orders, down from 29,000 last week, for a combined total of 191,000. The Xbox 360 version is at number three as it adds 15,000 pre-orders, down from 17,000 the previous week, for a total of 110,000. The PlayStation 3 version is at number nine as it adds 11,000 pre-orders, the same as last week, for a total of 80,000.
GearsofWar3-4.png

Gears of War 3 (X360) is at the top as it adds 68,000 pre-orders up from 60,000 the previous week. The game currently sits at 449,000 pre-orders. The game is still 22 weeks away from launch. For comparison Halo: Reach (X360) had 103,000 pre-orders during the same week, less than one fourth of Gears of War 3 and Call of Duty: Black Ops (X360) had 78,000. This shows that Gears of War 3 is currently outpacing at least 2 out of the top 5 bestselling week one games of all time.
Also in the top 10: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) is at number four up from number eight last week. The game adds 1,000 pre-orders the same as last week. The game currently sits at 106,000 pre-orders and currently has no release date in America.
Metal Fight Beyblade (DS) also jumps four spots, up to number five as it adds just 231 pre-orders this week, which brings it to a total of 97,000 pre-orders. The game has no release date in America.
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (X360) along with a few other games jumps into the top 10. It is at number six as it adds 1,000 pre-orders for a total of 92,000. The game has no release date in America.
NASCAR 2011: The Game (Wii) is at number seven as it adds 5,000 pre-orders for a total of 84,000. The game is five weeks away from launch.
Duke Nukem Forever (X360) rounds out the top 10 as it adds 6,000 pre-orders for a total of 66,000. The game is eight weeks away from launch.
Notable mentions outside the top 10: Battlefield 3 (X360) adds 7,000 pre-orders for a total of 44,000. The PlayStation 3 outside the top 20 adds 4,000 pre-orders for a total of 30,000. Duke Nukem Forever (PS3) also outside the top 20 adds 2,000 pre-orders for a total of 38,000.

TOP 20

<table class="chart" style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <th>Pos</th><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><th width="45%">Name</th><th>Console</th><th>Weeks
</th><th>Change</th><th>Total</th> </tr> <tr> <td>1</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Gears of War 3</td> <td>X360</td> <td align="center">22</td> <td align="right">68,121</td> <td align="right">448,952</td> </tr> <tr> <td>2</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Brink</td> <td>X360</td> <td align="center">3</td> <td align="right">31,092</td> <td align="right">164,720</td> </tr> <tr> <td>3</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">L.A. Noire</td> <td>X360</td> <td align="center">4</td> <td align="right">14,555</td> <td align="right">110,393</td> </tr> <tr> <td>4</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword</td> <td>Wii</td> <td align="center">N/A</td> <td align="right">926</td> <td align="right">106,194</td> </tr> <tr> <td>5</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Metal Fight Beyblade</td> <td>DS</td> <td align="center">N/A</td> <td align="right">231</td> <td align="right">96,896</td> </tr> <tr> <td>6</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier</td> <td>X360</td> <td align="center">N/A</td> <td align="right">1,096</td> <td align="right">91,814</td> </tr> <tr> <td>7</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">NASCAR 2011: The Game</td> <td>Wii</td> <td align="center">5</td> <td align="right">4,928</td> <td align="right">84,332</td> </tr> <tr> <td>8</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Diablo III</td> <td>PC</td> <td align="center">N/A</td> <td align="right">499</td> <td align="right">83,889</td> </tr> <tr> <td>9</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">L.A. Noire</td> <td>PS3</td> <td align="center">4</td> <td align="right">10,945</td> <td align="right">80,261</td> </tr> <tr> <td>10</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Duke Nukem Forever</td> <td>X360</td> <td align="center">8</td> <td align="right">6,268</td> <td align="right">65,517</td> </tr> <tr> <td>11</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">inFamous 2</td> <td>PS3</td> <td align="center">7</td> <td align="right">6,383</td> <td align="right">61,271</td> </tr> <tr> <td>12</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Deus Ex: Human Revolution</td> <td>X360</td> <td align="center">18</td> <td align="right">927</td> <td align="right">56,002</td> </tr> <tr> <td>13</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Batman: Arkham City</td> <td>X360</td> <td align="center">26</td> <td align="right">1,711</td> <td align="right">51,919</td> </tr> <tr> <td>14</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Batman: Arkham City</td> <td>PS3</td> <td align="center">26</td> <td align="right">1,334</td> <td align="right">49,397</td> </tr> <tr> <td>15</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Brink</td> <td>PS3</td> <td align="center">3</td> <td align="right">5,385</td> <td align="right">48,610</td> </tr> <tr> <td>16</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Mass Effect 3</td> <td>X360</td> <td align="center">N/A</td> <td align="right">3,370</td> <td align="right">45,743</td> </tr> <tr> <td>17</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Final Fantasy XIV Online</td> <td>PS3</td> <td align="center">N/A</td> <td align="right">104</td> <td align="right">45,553</td> </tr> <tr> <td>18</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim</td> <td>X360</td> <td align="center">29</td> <td align="right">3,293</td> <td align="right">44,816</td> </tr> <tr> <td>19</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Battlefield 3</td> <td>X360</td> <td align="center">N/A</td> <td align="right">6,530</td> <td align="right">43,875</td> </tr> <tr> <td>20</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td valign="center">Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception</td> <td>PS3</td> <td align="center">28</td> <td align="right">1,819</td> <td align="right">39,797</td></tr></tbody></table>

Dinky Dragon

Novice Member
Ill be pre-ordering the most expensive and lavish version of Gears 3 I can.

3rd novel comes out soon too :D

kopchoir

Banned
What's the point in pre-ording games that dont even have a release date??

20 TH September is gears 3 release date:confused:

Them figures are skewed nothing to do with pre order the game and youll get a free beta code.
PLus its american they now nothing about decent games as long as its got a gun a grenade there happy:thumbsup:

Ico.

All due to the Beta... a week later lots of those pre orders will be cancelled...

Still It'll be a massive release though as one of the xbox "exclusives" that are worth playing!:smashin:

Must have been typing super quick Darryl... Gaesr!:rotfl:

Last edited:

taffster5

20 TH September is gears 3 release date:confused:

Indeed, however quoting the original article

Also in the top 10: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) is at number four up from number eight last week. The game adds 1,000 pre-orders the same as last week. The game currently sits at 106,000 pre-orders and currently has no release date in America.
Metal Fight Beyblade (DS) also jumps four spots, up to number five as it adds just 231 pre-orders this week, which brings it to a total of 97,000 pre-orders. The game has no release date in America.
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (X360) along with a few other games jumps into the top 10. It is at number six as it adds 1,000 pre-orders for a total of 92,000. The game has no release date in America.

I read beyond the GoW bits ;)

Unless there's a fair bit of money off or a decent limited edition I dont see the point in pre-ordering, it's not as if recently you've been able to go into Game/Gamestation/HMV/Tesco/Asda etc and not been able to buy any game in the top 10 on release date.

NooBish AbbZ 92

Distinguished Member
I (probably along with a lot of other people) only pre-ordered to get a code for the beta lol.
Having played the beta and realising I suck at it, I'll be cancelling my pre-order when I can be bothered :)

Alex_976

Novice Member
I only pre ordered at game for the beta code. I've now cancelled and will pick up from tesco release day

ineedamonk

I'm surprised Brink is doing so well in the pre-orders (if figures are to be believed, and more than LA Noire :eek:), there doesn't seem to be much buzz about it here/anywhere. Also surprised at the lack of pre-orders for the years other big games. Although it is early for some of them, I'd have expected them to have way more... or maybe the whole pre-ordering culture seems to be way overhyped and a lot less relevant than we're led to believe.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Pre-ordering is a false economy when within a week or so of release most titles are discounted, if not already on release day, particularly by supermarchés using titles as loss leaders

Dinky Dragon

Novice Member
I or my Firefox never even noticed and I proof checked the lot!

lol

And Jalal, it will take alot more than you cancelling a pre-order to upset me :/

Ico.

And Jalal, it will take alot more than you cancelling a pre-order to upset me :/

Loads will cancel their existing pre order... September is still a while away though and a lot will be replaced at possibly cheaper sources... then of courese there will be a fair amount of orders picked up in Tesco or wherever.

Gears 3 being a big seller though isn't really big news IMO.:devil:

Dinky Dragon

Novice Member
Nope your opinion is valid, what you have overlooked though is the whole point of the thread.

As it stands its going to smash records.

Imagine a game that isnt an FPS with COD on the cover destroying its record.

Ico.

Nope your opinion is valid, what you have overlooked though is the whole point of the thread.

As it stands its going to smash records.

Imagine a game that isnt an FPS with COD on the cover destroying its record.

Fair enough... Couldn't see COD on that list though.

It is massively twisted by the pre-order for beta access though IMO. otherwise pre orders would be much, much less at this moment in time. Other games like Halo for instance have had betas where you got access through buying another game (Crackdown) but I don't remember a game this successful before doing a pre order for beta access. So orders will have gone through the roof just now... even though there are still 5 months till release.:rolleyes:

Dinky Dragon

Novice Member
Also, look at the numbers that Reach had, that had a Beta ;)

You didnt see it in the list because its been released :/ Its further up -

Gears of War 3 (X360) is at the top as it adds 68,000 pre-orders up from 60,000 the previous week. The game currently sits at 449,000 pre-orders. The game is still 22 weeks away from launch. For comparison Halo: Reach (X360) had 103,000 pre-orders during the same week, less than one fourth of Gears of War 3 and Call of Duty: Black Ops (X360) had 78,000. This shows that Gears of War 3 is currently outpacing at least 2 out of the top 5 bestselling week one games of all time.

Ico.

Also, look at the numbers that Reach had, that had a Beta ;)

Yeah, but, no, but...

Unless I'm wrong Reach did have a beta that you got into by owning ODST, which is like the Bulletstorm part of the Gears 3 beta... not the same as driving the pre orders up by having to pre order Reach though is it!

Pre orders have cost people nothing and they have access to the beta... most pre orders have been placed in the last 6 weeks or so looking at the chart which by some coincidence seems to fit with the announcement of the beta entry requirements.:rolleyes:

It'll sell by the bucket load obviously as a flagship title... just the pre order figures are fixed by marketing... and the beta inclusion.

That said I quite like the revised Gears 3... much better than 2 but too see if it's better than 1 I'll have to wait for the full release.:smashin:

Ico.

So you going to post an updated list once the beta ends then :D

Even then though it'll still be affected by people who don't want the pre order but are too lazy to cancel straight away... que September and loads of posts saying I got the game twice...I forgot about that pre order!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Dinky Dragon

Novice Member
Even then though it'll still be affected by people who don't want the pre order but are too lazy to cancel straight away

Sorry but you can say that about any game, and the figures above are based on pre-orders.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Gears 3 will be a big seller as Gears 2 was but I cant see it smashing records

The Pre Order figures are just high due to the Beta Access.

I just cant see it happening imo

If it does then woo hoo but it really doesnt matter, we all know a game can break records and fly off the shelf at release and then be at the bottom of the pile within a few months.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp