Gears of war 3 Beta final thoughts

Gears 3 beta

• hated it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kopchoir

Ex Member
Reaction score
Well the Beta is now finished and i have thouroughly enjoyed it and im looking forward to full release in september.
I know there are folk who are not liking the weapons the only weapon that annoys me is the retro,i wont be using it in full release.
The retro will be like the chainsaw for me in gears 1 i clocked up 13,000+ online kills and i think i had about 140 chainsaw kills in that,its just not for me.
DBS doesnt bother me i find it a cheap weapon shoot run away reload meh but it doesnt bother me one bit.

All in all i thought it was a great Beta and will be back rockign gears of war again in september.

Si

Mods can you close the other thread i messed up :devil:

hated it and its rubbbbissssh, surely the same thing :rolleyes: Start a third one up ;)

hated it and its rubbbbissssh, surely the same thing :rolleyes: Start a third one up ;)

The rubbbisssshhh thing was a little private joke.;)

I may just start a 3rd one up just to :censored: you off:D i started the 2nd one so cocks didnt come and skew the results so i could see who voted for what:thumbsup:

I voted "Its been OK"......a few comments if I may:

1) Host connections - a major problem since GOW1, and it still seems evident in the third game in the series. After 1 round, most people have 2/3/4 kills, but look, there's the guy who's on 18 kills 1 death

2) Retro Lancer - too powerful, used too much, why can't we just stick with 'normal' Lancer and Hammerburst??

3) Sawn off - no comment required

4) Kill stealing - what's happened to that unwritten rule where you DON'T run over and finish off someone else's kill?? Its alright, I'll put 3 shots into someone in a shotgun battle, narrowly avoiding death, and you just run over and take the kill, don't worry about it

Will definitely be buying this, but I don't expect the MP side to take much of my time. It'll be coop campaign, Beast/Horde mode for a bit, then traded in I'd imagine.

I'll add more thoughts as and when they come to me...

i loved it :D

to respond to some of Lee's points tho -

i found the connection most of the time to be good. however there were a few days and several games of just P2P - and it was complete pants :thumbsdow i'll only get out of bed for dedicated servers these days :D. (i think those few games we played Lee the other night were on P2P :(). and as i said in the other thread, ranked was a problem on the Beta because so few people from our "region" were playing it. therefore you're more than likely to end up with people from outside the UK, and it can play similar to how Battlefield plays when that happens.

I liked the Retro Lancer, but yes i suppose it does need nerfing now i think about it again. as for the DBS it's a tricky one. i've spoken a lot about it before, but basically it's not a problem for me either way. admittedly i used it when i was feeling lazy :rotfl:; but i didn't find it that difficult to counter when others were using it. but it can be very annoying :laugh:. epecially when people just camp at corners with it :rolleyes:

however the Gnasher can be as equally deadly at point blank range, and i didn't think it needed as aiming as much as it did in previous games :confused:. And a quick mention to the Hammerburst too - i find that to be very very powerful as well, and can be used to counter any of the other weapons in fairness. But overall i'm happy with the weapons and won't mind if they don't change anything with any of them. :thumbsup:

as for kill stealing, it's the nature of the community beast unfortunately. however, it is a big grey area i think in the game. if someone blatantly and unnecessarily kills one of your downs, then that's to be frowned upon :mad:. but in a situation where one of the oppo is about to revive a downed player, you've got to finish them off if you can, and not wait for the "entitled" player to do it. especially if you're not sure if they're down or dead. otherwise you can end up in a 2 v 1 situation, and in TDM especially, it's not a good thing when lives matter so much.

anyways, i can't wait till September and for some proper public/private games with everyone. especially with horde and beast to come :clap: co-op mode too will be awesome.

beta is still on for the time being im playing it now

It's Gears mate, I loved it.

Better than gears 2 by a long chalk.

Private matches - execution with retro and dbs removed - :thumbsup:

Nothing else to say.

Loved it.

Not bothered by the Retro or DBS. I liked using the retro, never used the DBS after getting 10 kills with it. I didn't have much of a problem killing other Retro or DBS users.

Kill stealing was annoying (Si :devil:), but if that's the way people want to play, I just steal too.

Looking forward to Sept. :thumbsup:

I thought the beta was fantastic, I've tried to get as many hours in as I could over these last few weeks, and managed to get ranked 21,500ish in TDM! I found the connection quality excellent for 90% plus of games I've played! Fair enough the P2P hosting was pretty pants when the dedicated servers were down but I only experienced this a couple of times! I only have basic 'upto' 8 meg BT but didn't experience any serious lag at all!

New maps are ace, loved all 4 although trenches is probably my favorite. New weapons are all good to bringing a few different playstyles to the table, keeps it interesting!

All in all I think Epic have done a brilliant job on this game, and as long as the final games multiplayer echoes this beta I can see me playing this for a very long time!:thumbsup:! sigh :(..............roll on September!:devil:

I liked it and will be buying on release. However I don't love it and I can wait till September. Where am I sposed to vote :(

I liked it and will be buying on release. However I don't love it and I can wait till September. Where am I sposed to vote :(

:censored: out of luck then my bad but you have mentioned that you like it and will be buying it so good enough for me

I loved it mostly... some days were pants due to lag... but that said it's a day one purchase for me no problem.

Just to spam all 3 main Gears 3 threads:devil: there is a video showing the contents of the Epic and Limited versions of the game here...
Link

Screenshot2011-05-16at165414.png

Last edited:
Beta's stil running at this moment in time btw

Love it when the servers where up hated when p2p was on but am not worried about that as i know they should be up 95% of the time when the full game hits.

DBS is for noobs

Retro loved it even though some hated it

Maps are great

Spawns need fixing (was a beta) should be fixed in full game

I hope they have a mercenery mode in full game as i play abit on my own and would also like to have old skool mode no retro or pussy gun.

But i really did enjoy this alot more than i thought played over 40 hours online :smashin:

4) Kill stealing - what's happened to that unwritten rule where you DON'T run over and finish off someone else's kill?? Its alright, I'll put 3 shots into someone in a shotgun battle, narrowly avoiding death, and you just run over and take the kill, don't worry about it
Sorry pal, but i've never understood this. It's not free-for-all, it's a team game. Particularly in team-death-match when there are lives and you want to reduce the opposition's lives as quickly as possible. For me, the same applies to any mode. For example, capture the leader; why risk someone getting back up near to your leader just so someone can get 'their kill'? Just kick em in the head and get on with it! The person finishing the enemy off only gets +10 points anyway, you still get the 60+ for downing the enemy. Perhaps it's because i've never cared for K/D, but I have genuinely never understood the whole concept around 'stealing kills'.

As for the beta, I absolutely loved it and don't quite know what i'm going to play now. Treated it more like a full game than a beta. If they can improve on the beta then we are in for one hell of a game come full-release. Cannot wait.

One of the biggest downfalls of the beta ending is that I probably won't play with a lot of the people I have been playing this with for a while now. Hopefully that's not the case though.

Sorry pal, but i've never understood this. It's not free-for-all, it's a team game. Particularly in team-death-match when there are lives and you want to reduce the opposition's lives as quickly as possible. For me, the same applies to any mode. For example, capture the leader; why risk someone getting back up near to your leader just so someone can get 'their kill'? Just kick em in the head and get on with it! The person finishing the enemy off only gets +10 points anyway, you still get the 60+ for downing the enemy. Perhaps it's because i've never cared for K/D, but I have genuinely never understood the whole concept around 'stealing kills'.

Part of it is from GoW1, the achievements for 100 kills with each weapon, plus the 'Seriously' achieve meant that people got upset when kills were stolen.
It was a pain in the beta trying to unlock the Hammerburst execution as it generally took a clip to down someone, then while you reloaded, some scrote finished off the kill from the other side of the map with the longshot! :eek:

I agree that if the 'downer' is not near the 'downee', then it's fair for someone else to finish the job (especially in Execution modes where you cannot finish the job unless you are close up and there is a chance of the guy getting back up), or if the 'downee' is breaking the ring in KOTH/Annex, it's in the interest of the team for him to be dispatched ASAP. However, blatant stealing when the 'downer' is reloading, or spraying the Scorcher/HoD/BoomShot/Digger at a 'downee' in the hope of picking up a kill without doing the work of putting them down is pretty lame.

Part of it is from GoW1, the achievements for 100 kills with each weapon, plus the 'Seriously' achieve meant that people got upset when kills were stolen.
It was a pain in the beta trying to unlock the Hammerburst execution as it generally took a clip to down someone, then while you reloaded, some scrote finished off the kill from the other side of the map with the longshot! :eek:

I agree that if the 'downer' is not near the 'downee', then it's fair for someone else to finish the job (especially in Execution modes where you cannot finish the job unless you are close up and there is a chance of the guy getting back up), or if the 'downee' is breaking the ring in KOTH/Annex, it's in the interest of the team for him to be dispatched ASAP. However, blatant stealing when the 'downer' is reloading, or spraying the Scorcher/HoD/BoomShot/Digger at a 'downee' in the hope of picking up a kill without doing the work of putting them down is pretty lame.

Gonna be more problems now that they have added unlocks for certain amounts of kills.

There was a code of honour in Gears 1 for the reasons you say, but as the beta has proven, that has gone out the window as everyone scrambles to to get the kills for the unlocks that they want :suicide:

Last edited:
Yep, as others have said, if its for the good of the team to just get someone finished off, then go ahead, do 'em in. But as Codey says, its not on that I've just engaged someone with the Hammerburst, managed to get them down, but need to reload to finish 'em off, and then oh look, someone comes charging in for no reason and just bags the kill....

I guess as Jim and Codey also referenced it stems from the hundreds (thousands??) of hours I spent on GOW1, where this thing just didnt' happen. Sure, the odd kill got nicked, but its like playing with a pack of dogs these days who just run around like loons looking to see what they can nick....the amount of times I'd down someone, then run over to finish them off, and you know, might want to actually DECIDE FOR MYSELF how to finish them off (isn't that one of the big sells of Gears - the wide range of executions).........most of the time I'd have to run over and button bash just to make sure I get the kill before some little scrote got one bullet into them from 100 yards away...

Maybe its just me, but it does agitate me :lesson:

Last edited by a moderator:
where do i start...

first of all we know it's gears 3 and not gears 1, however after epic admitted with gears 2 that mistakes were made u would think they would want another gears 1 not a gears 2 again, so lets start with the basic core element of the game, now it does play at the speed of gears 1 which is a big plus, nothing worse than the lumbering players of gears 2 which looked like they were carrying a rucksack of bricks, the reason gears 1 worked is because it was a fast paced tactical shooter, everyone had their favourite weapons whether it was the shotgun, sniper, chainsaw, frag tagging. now it looks like it's DBS and retro's for nearly everyone.

gears 1 had moments that got the adrenalin going if u were 1v4 u had a chance of winning against 4, not now as it's just instant death without any real chance of survival in that situation, plus there are no little battles going on like in gears 1 like on mausoleum with the sniper or boomshot for example.

weapons.

DBS. hate this gun, no aiming no skill required weapon, cheap kills when used with mantle kick or smoke stun, maybe it should be a 1 bullet gun only, ammo pickups are only 1 bullet too.

retro lancer. way too powerful imo and is used far too much by not aiming and spraying bullets everywhere at close quarters, as for the charge, worse than the chainsaw as u can hear the chainsaw coming but the charge isn't loud enough, plus i saw a 1v4 and all 4 charged at the guy in question, he had no chance.

digger. now this weapon is decent, not over powered and is used more as a defensive weapon, plus u can impale someone at close range.

lancer. again like the retro too powerful but the retro is more powerful in dropping players too quickly.

shotgun. should be decent but overpowered especially from long range, in gears 1 it took about 6 shots or more on average to down someone from distance but on gears 3 it take 2 at the most, it's supposed to be a melee range weapon which it isn't at the moment.

hammerburst. i don't know what's happened to this gun but it's the weakest of the lot on gears 3 apart from the snub pistol, it used to be a decent weapon on gears 1 as a supressing gun, i have seen more power with a plastic nerf gun.

torque bow. so many people were using the DBS or retro that i hardly saw people using the torque bow, again on gears 1 it was a weapon like the boomshot people always went for.

sniper. no downing with active reloads so that's why no-one used it much, i think it's not bad if placed on certain maps.

boomshot. splash damge seems better than gears 1 but it still suffers with hitting people direct, both on gears 1 and 3 the boomshot bullets still seem to pass through people sometimes.

boltok pistol. still a decent gun, does quite a bit of damage too, maybe 3-4 shots will down someone which works well.

gorgon pistol. decent gun and more like an SMG now which i think is better than the old gorgon pistol, good for medium fire.

one-shot. not keen on this as it needs a zoom function because it zooms out to the full extent in 1 go rather than be controlled, trenches was a bad map for it to be on too, maybe thrashball would have been better.

hammer of dawn. never got a chance to use it on the beta due to everyone nicking it, trenches was an awful place to put 2 of them on, great weapon on gears 1, rubbish on gears 2.

flamethrower. powerful, everytime i saw it used it was like someone was waving an hosepipe everywhere, close range weapon imo.

mortar. still a decent weapon, should be placed better though, thrashball just had them spawn camping and using it to contain players trying to get out.

mulcher. powerful but it should be as it does what it should, tear players to pieces, should have replaced the one-shot on trenches at the nest though.

snub pistol. more like a potato gun now, really poor in power, pretty sure a lot of people never used it much.

boomshield. used to be a good item to have and thought it would be an advantage to have it when playing CTL as a defensive item, DBS can kill u in 1 shot even behind the boomshield though which is pointless having it, in gears 2 only grenades would kill u holding the boomshield.

no-one got to use the turret gun so can't comment on that.

grenades.

smoke grenades. why epic after u had smoke stun removed in gears 2 due to so many people complaining about it do u now have stun back again? cheap kills aplenty with this grenade.

ink grenades. are decent to clear players out like on KOTH for example, they seem better than on gears 2.

incendiary grenades. more of a case of having to hit them direct to kill rather then within distance, players seem to run through the fire on the floor so best used to hit direct for instant kill.

frag grenades. still the favourite but still the most annoying when planted next to weapons.

planting of grenades. is awful still, u would think epic would remove the ability to plant grenades next to weapons, really unfair as they can't always be spotted, radius of the KOTH circle should be implemented around a weapon where u cannot plant a grenade imo.

grenade damage. radius far to wide, again KOTH circle radius needed, in gears 1 u could evade the blast from a grenade but on gears 3 it's too powerfull, it's a grenade not a nuke warhead.

holding X. having to hold X for picking weapons up i can understand to stop the weapon sliding that went on in gears1 but surely it needs changing when picking ammo up, last thing u want is to have to wait to get ammo when u are being shot at.

mantle kick. gimmick for cheap kills nothing more, shouldn't have been added imo.

maps.

trenches. would be a good map but far too may power weapons on it, the map is too small to have so many on it.

thrashball. not bad, don't like the scoreboard in the middle dropping, needs to have maybe a switch to drop it and lift it instead.

old town. great map, this reminds me of a gears 1 map, plenty of ways to flank people.

checkout. i like this map, very compact but good flanking options, good power weapon layout too.

modes.

CTL. is far better than capture the meatflag which i hated, seems no guardian mode which is a shame but i think capture the leader is a mix of guardian and capture the meatflag.

KOTH. not a fan still of KOTH, don't know why but i just never liked it, i did like annex though on gears 1.

TDM. not a fan mainly due to the spawn camping that went on, if it's altered then it may be better.

summary. i still enjoyed the beta i do think epic need to alter a few things, the power of the weapons, the range, the grenade damage and range, removal of planting grenades next to weapon pick ups, grenade damage radius reducing, smoke stun removing, power weapon layout altering. the game needs to go back to what made gears 1 one of the most played mp games ever and i think if they change a few things here and there which i do think they will then they will have a great game on their hands, we don't want a game with just everyone dying with 1 shot kills we want to have the old battles that we used to have on gears 1 and with battlefield 3 and modern warfare 3 out not long after gears 3 they need to get it right.

again this is only my opinion.

I voted 'Loved It' but if I am honest at times it was a little more love-hate. I am looking forward to September, but more for the campaign than MP.

When things flowed properly I really enjoyed playing the Beta, if you were mixed with a good crew of team mates and opponents then matches were really fun. But too often matches were just teams of Zippos Circus clowns rolling around with the DBS taking one-shot kills. One of the main aspects of the SP game I personally feel separates GoW from other 1st or 3rd person shooters is the cover battles, where you are encouraged to bounce from cover to cover to outflank or push back the enemy, with the MP this aspect of the game is lost when you have 9 other players rolling about the place.

Don't get me wrong though, in the right hands I have seen a few people pull of amazing cover to cover advances and finish with a DBS one-shot. On a personal level I never seemed to get the hang of using it, even at point blank range I seemed to fail repeatedly, which is why I struggled in matches where shotgun was king, but on the occasions when dropped into solid games with a team that moved together, covered each other and concentrated on using ranged weapons with close combat finishers, matches were a dream to play.

In terms of other aspects like the over powered Retro or lag, I can't say I noticed much of that, the Retro is garbage at range and at times where opponents were close up it just seemed to be about the DBS, the Retro didn't seem to feature that much apart from chargers who were easily stopped with the Lancer or Gnasher.

My biggest gripe came from the rather sporadic spawn zone changes, where you would jump back into the game, run a few steps forward then suddenly have half the opposing team spawn a few feet behind you, caught me out more times than I would care to mention. Again, don't get me wrong, I liked the fact that the spawn would change during the match to keep you on your toes and to catch people out when camping too far back, but there is nothing fair in the zone swapping when you have just emerged from it yourself.

Still, very fun overall, looking forward to the main release and kinda miss the Beta now it has closed.

All fair points guys and I agree with some of them. However, for me it still comes down to the game being a team one where more or less in every mode you have to protect something and the best way of doing this is to simply kill the opposition as quickly as possible.

I think the only exception i'd have would be when you are pretty much standing right next to the downed enemy and if it is the last guy in TDM/Execution.

Last edited:
My personal experience was that I loved the first week i nailed 133 games got my retro gold lancer then I was bored and only played about 23 games in the last 3 weeks. The reason was that I was bored of the 4 maps and for me the best Gears experience arrived in the form of horde. Come September i will be loving the beast mode and horde experience. Gears MP will always have probs its just the way it is. If like me you have played since gears 1 back in 2006 then you know its a love hate relationship. The sawn off reminds me of the grenade tag that everyone hated it but learned to use it to their advantage.

I voted for 'Loved It'

I put in a decent amount of time in the beta and just loved it. Never really ventured into games on my own as i got more enjoyment out of it when playing with people on my FL or from here.

But from reading the various threads here and elsewhere i think i would be classed as a noob as i used the DBS a lot. I think this probably comes from a few things. One being i've never really been able to get the hang of the Gnasher in any of the gears games. No matter if i went into a one v one and got the first good shot off more often than not i would get destroyed. Another reason is it worked better in my play style in this game. I would usually hang back a little and spot people and use the lancer to put down some fire and when the time come to either finish someone or help a team mate in a battle the DBS was perfect for me. Can't tell you the number of times during the beta when playing guys from here or on my FL and they are screaming blue murder about the DBS and there is me happily using it. On quite a few occasions i actually changed to the gnasher because of the hate and then simply got owned and started to dislike playing it a little.

I agree with a lot of the comments amount the weapons. A lot of them need tweaked either in range or power.

The maps were pretty good and with some tweaks will be even better. Be interesting to see the other maps they have in the final game as the 4 we played were very good and the other 2 seen look very good also.

I agree the spawns need sorting as it was way too easy to either spawn camp or you simply spawned in with a number of the same team spawning in at the same time.

In terms of the gamemodes I think I preferred CTL the most, especially with either a full team of non-random's or at least 3 non randoms. It was a bit more of a tactical mode. Some protect and some attack. Had some really intense match's in this gamemode.

With the little taster we've had and throw in more maps, multiplayer gamemodes, private matches, coop campaign, horde and beast mode I think it will take up a lot of my playtime when released.

...i think i would be classed as a noob as i used the DBS a lot... ...it worked better in my play style in this game. I would usually hang back a little and spot people and use the lancer to put down some fire and when the time come to either finish someone or help a team mate in a battle the DBS was perfect for me.

Personally, I wouldn't class this as noob play, this is pretty much my style of playing too. The number of times I would see people rush into a shotgun fight only for both players to go down or a team mate take down an opponent only to then be brought down by the two other opponents right behind the first, just seems fruitless to me. Whereas if a couple of people hang back you get a second wave to provide covering fire and spot/clean up/revive team mates.

Using the Lancer & Gnasher/DBS combo to drop and finish off opponents was my preferred style of play, at close range with shotguns I just could rarely seem to get the shots out fast enough to come out on top.

On an different note, I've never understood people who run/roll around in FPS/TPS games to rack up massive kill totals only to also end up with the highest death total too. Personally a good match performance for me is getting the fewest deaths as possible, this might mean you don't necessarily rack up the highest kill totals, unless you are some kind of behemoth, but at least you are still strongly helping the overall team effort with high assists/low deaths. Unless you aren’t getting any kills/assists at all, in which case you might have dropped to the other end of the noob spectrum!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom