Gears of war 2: where you buying yours?

Dr Evilest

Established Member
Reaction score
Right we definitely need a thread on this.
Preordered from shopto ages ago, normally great service but I cannot see them delivering on the 6th.:(
Can I be arsed queuing at midnight though ( & will I be arrested as a dirty old man in an anorak amongst hordes of adolescent youths).
What you lot doing??

Midnight at tesco for me i have been thinking about pre-ordering in the hope i get it on the 6th through my letter box but im not taking any chances and its going to have to be a midnight pick up my first and last

Do Tesco do pre-order? Or are you just gonna wander down and take a chance?

I'd like to do the midnight pick-up, but Boston town centre is an ugly place at Midnight. Perhaps I should go for the replica Lancer, just to stand a chance of getting out alive!

ordered mine from Zavvi yesterday.

Fingers crossed it'll arrive on time.

:lease:

You're right, Simon, I need to find my nearest all night Tescos. Then I can blend in with the other midnight shoppers, & casually pop the collectors lancer edition amongst the bread & milk without drawing too much attention. Sorted.:clap:

Do Tesco do pre-order? Or are you just gonna wander down and take a chance?

I'd like to do the midnight pick-up, but Boston town centre is an ugly place at Midnight. Perhaps I should go for the replica Lancer, just to stand a chance of getting out alive!

im just going to wander down well get a taxi if they can que for fifa09 they can que for gears

The only thing i have purchased at a midnigght launch was a harry potter book:blush:

You're right, Simon, I need to find my nearest all night Tescos. Then I can blend in with the other midnight shoppers, & casually pop the collectors lancer edition amongst the bread & milk without drawing too much attention. Sorted.:clap:

bread and milk its got to be some pistachio nuts along with the cold beer thats sitting in the fridge for your return home mate

I've a standard edition on order from game. Order placed on the 14th July....

Limited collectors edition on order with Zavvi. Order placed 2 days ago...

My problem is I'm going to cancel one but cannot decide which. From what I've read Zavvi are not always reliable on delivery and the order has only just been placed so I'm probably a good way down the list.

On the other hand I'm pretty confident that the Game order (although it's only the standard edition) should be delivered on release day as the order was placed 3 months ago. I've really come round to the idea of the collectors edition now though but I'm not confident that I'll get it on release day....:rolleyes:

Midnight at tesco for me i have been thinking about pre-ordering in the hope i get it on the 6th through my letter box but im not taking any chances and its going to have to be a midnight pick up my first and last

If you're just going to walk in I would suggest having a backup plan or getting there well before 12. I tried this with GTA4 thinking it would be a simple stroll up to the entertainment desk and walk out with a copy, after all who would buy a game from a supermarket??? Got there about 20 mins before 12 and was turned away along with about 50 or so other people :(

Ended up running over to Gamestation and joined the queue for a 45 minute wait.

Anyway, i'm going to have to miss the midnight launch because I have work the next day. I'll pre-order from GAME/Gamestation and collect during my lunch hour ;)

I've a standard edition on order from game. Order placed on the 14th July....

Limited collectors edition on order with Zavvi. Order placed 2 days ago...

My problem is I'm going to cancel one but cannot decide which. From what I've read Zavvi are not always reliable on delivery and the order has only just been placed so I'm probably a good way down the list.

On the other hand I'm pretty confident that the Game order (although it's only the standard edition) should be delivered on release day as the order was placed 3 months ago. I've really come round to the idea of the collectors edition now though but I'm not confident that I'll get it on release day....:rolleyes:

Ditto...

Exactly the same - I know Game will deliver GoW2 on the Thurs, but I really want that collectors edition too (no brainer under £40 @ Zavvi) So at the moment I have both still on pre order.............................

im just going to wander down well get a taxi if they can que for fifa09 they can que for gears

0,,5221155,00.jpg

QUE? QUE?

noob now that your a mod on here and taking up all your time im going to spam your site now:D:hiya:

I ordered mine from GamePlay, I think GTA IV arrived the day of release but I do have a Tesco Extra not too far so might yet cancel and get my skinny ass over there for midnight. To join you n00b5 in some early/late multiplayer carnage.

I pre-ordered mine from Shopto.

Ditto...

Exactly the same - I know Game will deliver GoW2 on the Thurs, but I really want that collectors edition too (no brainer under £40 @ Zavvi) So at the moment I have both still on pre order.............................

Gavin, how sure are you GAME will deliver on the 6th? Can you pretty much guarantee it, like?

'Cos if you can I'll cancel my GamePlay order (even though it went hand-in-hand with a £5 off code) and order from GAME instead.

The thought of queuing at a cavernous Tesco Extra amongst spotty, excitable teens & sweaty, overweight 'adults' with hygiene issues only to possibly get turned away empty-handed after a long wait fills me with an uneasy dread that no amount of bread, milk or pistachio nuts will dissipate.

So c'mon G, put yer money where your mouth is ....;)

Got my Ltd Edition on pre-order with my local Gamestation for midnight collection. I'm number 13 in the list for Ltd Editions and my brother is number 14 on the list.

Whilst it appears I've definitely got one 'in the bag', I'm heading down to GS about 10.30pm methinks, to get near the front of any queue that may or may not have formed. I was waiting till 1.00am on Halo3 [had to be a reference in there somewhere ;)] launch night, and not making the same mistake again.

Oh, and I'm paying ca$h as well - don't want any hold ups waiting for card payments to go through. I just wanna slap £50 on the desk, grab my Ltd Edition and drive like a loooonatic home, and sit playing it until at least 6am (with cold beer, Kettle chips and Grape Fanta as refreshments).

Was going to order the region-free version from either gamehubs or playasia, but as I think postage from the UK tends to arrive quicker decided to get this one from there as every day counts!

Got lucky and managed to pop a preorder in with The Hut when they had the standard edition(with the limited edition black lancer;)) up for £29.99, with quidco savings makes it £28.49, not bad at all for PAL.

Got mine preordered with shopto. I was considering nipping into town from work as thats where I'll be @ midnight on the 7th. Figured I may as well just wait for it to be delivered as Im gonna be at work till 7 anyway. But rest assured I will be playing come friday afternoon/evening/night!!! :D

Last edited:
I have it pre-ordered with The Hut, haven't used them before for new release games but I also have Saint's Row 2 ordered with them and if that takes too long, I'll probably cancel.

I have the CE pre ordered from Game, they usually get preorders out early so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get it on the Thursday :D

well im buying mine from Game but i must admit im having second thoughts due to my chat with the teenager behind the counter having never pre-ordered anything before the conversation went like this

me: Excuse me, could you tell me how copies of Gears Of War 2 Limited edition you are getting in

it: Ehh gears of what ?

me: Gears of war 2 the limited edition

It: ohh wot console is it on :eek:

me: erm the xbox

it: is that the xbox 360 ?

me: yes, its exclusive to the 360

it: its wot elusive

me: no EXclusive

it: oh yes we're getting sum in

me: erm how many copies

it: oh i dont know hang on GARRY ( made up name ) how many Gears of.. what was it?

me: Gears Of Wars 2

it: how many Gears of wars 2 limited are we getting in

It Mark 2: erm dunno it depends on how many are ordered and wevva you pre order it but i dont fink there will be many on general sale.

Me: Ok then i'll pre order it, what time are you opening on the 7th

It mark 2: errm bout 7ish 8 ish in the morning

me: no midnight opening then

it mark 2: erm no we only do that for the big games like GTA and Halo:eek::eek: Gears int a big enuff game:eek:

there was then another 5 minutes while i gave my details to It Mark 1 as she didnt seem to understand basic english or the difference between the number 3 and 6 in my phone number:suicide:

absolute shower of muppets

rant over

Same here, local game couldnt tell if they were doing a midnight opening. Said they wouldn't know untill a week before hand! Oh.. and I had to have a game card in order to pre order:eek:

Same here, local game couldnt tell if they were doing a midnight opening. Said they wouldn't know untill a week before hand! Oh.. and I had to have a game card in order to pre order:eek:

midnight launch at gamestation for me, although u are right some of these clowns don't have the info about the job they are in, i mentioned about a special code given to those who attend the midnight launch, the code is for a golden hammerburst, he said he had never heard of it. :rolleyes:

I'll pre-ordering online for the first time ever, sod queuing up at midnight if I can get it on thursday morning, if I don't get it I will pick it up at tesco.

I got there for half ten for fifa and the queue was horrednous, so I'll need to get there at 5pm for gears :rolleyes:

Infact thinking about it I'm gonna go to the indies around London on weds and try my luck, I'll pay £60 for gears 2 no problem.

The thought of queuing at a cavernous Tesco Extra amongst spotty, excitable teens & sweaty, overweight 'adults' with hygiene issues only to possibly get turned away empty-handed after a long wait fills me with an uneasy dread that no amount of bread, milk or pistachio nuts will dissipate..

Don't worry mate I won't be queuing at midnight, I'll wait for the postie

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom