GC Zelda for pre-Christmas!!

t-force

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Nintendo have just announced that the as yet unnamed Legend of Zelda game for the Cube is set to be released on December 13th. Good news for all you importers (good Christmas approaching for you then, Groundy!!!) if you can read Japanese - sadly of course Europe has to wait, but this must have a very positive effect on Cube sales in Japan for Christmas. Probably one of the best Christmas line-ups ever for a console.

I was surprised to hear it would be out before Christmas but Zelda is just one of those games that you cannot play unless you are almost fluent in Japanese....which sadly.....I'm not :(. I think I'll have to wait until the US release for this one which is supposedly Feb but rumours abound that it's being put back. Still, as you say t-force, the GC has a great lineup over the next few months. I don't think I've bought so many games in such a short space of time for any other console :).

The whole world seems to have come round to the idea of the cel-shaded graphics in Zedla.......except me. I thnk it's a backward step. This game should've been a graphical showcase for the Gamecube.

I liked the idea in XBox Moto GP where cel-shaded graphics could be unlocked as a bonus mode for a bit of novvelty, but that's about as far as it should go IMHO.

All in all a bit disappointing really as I loved Ocarina of Time.

And yes I do realise it's gameply which counts most. Just wanted a lush textured 3D Zelda world to play the game in.

RDB :)

Originally posted by Rock Da Bass
The whole world seems to have come round to the idea of the cel-shaded graphics in Zedla.......except me. I thnk it's a backward step. This game should've been a graphical showcase for the Gamecube.

I liked the idea in XBox Moto GP where cel-shaded graphics could be unlocked as a bonus mode for a bit of novvelty, but that's about as far as it should go IMHO.

All in all a bit disappointing really as I loved Ocarina of Time.

And yes I do realise it's gameply which counts most. Just wanted a lush textured 3D Zelda world to play the game in.

I can't agree. From what I have seen of the game in motion, the cell shading looks fantastic.

I still have mixed feelings about the change really... When I saw the first footage from E3 I was stunned by the picture quality and then there was the jump to cel-shading... Even though I'm a massive fan of animé I can't understand why Nintendo did it. Its been a while since of course and its slowly growing on me.... The real-time footage is super fluid and it does have style, even though its lacking detail.

I hope it expands on Ocarina of Time a bit more though and introduces some more innovative ideas to the genre... But then there is quite a lot resting on this game just like Mario Sunshine... And we know what happened there.

If I could read japanese then I would import it without a seconds thought... But since I only know a few phrases I'll stick to the american release ^_^

I also think the cel-shading is not a great move for Zelda. As a games business the biggest problem I can forsee is parents etc buying the game for their kids thinking it's a Disney type game only to find they can;t play it at all..
Personally I also think it should have been a showcase for GC graphically but that wont be..

but then Groundy's right, he always is..:D

Is it only me that thinks that the new Zelda actually is a graphical showcase for the GC? Have you seen it move? The facial animation is incredible. Look beyond the cel-shading, the technology that's driving the game is incredible. The water and fire effects I've seen look blinding! It looks like a real flipping cartoon! Way beyond any of the other cel-shaded games that are out there.

I really think that the cel-shading style really suits Zelda anyway. Think back to any Zelda game other than the two N64 titles (ie the NES, SNES & Gameboy titles). They were always presented in a totally cartoony style, just like the new one is. I think it looks luvverly :)

I agree with that sentiment, personally I was put off by the N64 versions being fully 3D, just didn't seem right.

Originally posted by John Jennings
Is it only me that thinks that the new Zelda actually is a graphical showcase for the GC? Have you seen it move? The facial animation is incredible. Look beyond the cel-shading, the technology that's driving the game is incredible. The water and fire effects I've seen look blinding! It looks like a real flipping cartoon! Way beyond any of the other cel-shaded games that are out there.

I really think that the cel-shading style really suits Zelda anyway. Think back to any Zelda game other than the two N64 titles (ie the NES, SNES & Gameboy titles). They were always presented in a totally cartoony style, just like the new one is. I think it looks luvverly :)

I agree completely.

Nice to see you back posting John J, could have needed your help on a few posts a while back ^_^

It is very well done technically but with cel-shading games not many people look beyond the stylised look... Some peeps still think that it can be done on the SNES or MD >_<

I had the Zelda games on my NES (never got round to completing Zelda II though...) and it was presented differently alright but them gaming markets do change with time... I liked Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64, even with the blurry textures because the game was simply an epic and moved the action RPG genre forward IMO... Will the new Zelda do the same? I'm not sure but then Nintendo would never give everything away prior to any of their releases... Feb can't come soon enough.

if you have been following the nintendo news, miyamoto the creator of mario,zelda etc has said in an interview that nintendo will release another mario and zelda title in the future and they will both ''move the genre to another level'' i think this means he will make a realistic 3d zelda, who knows? go to www.nintendofire.com see if the interview is still there

I've seen the footage of Zelda in motion and agree the cel-shading is about as good as can be and does make it look like a fluid cartoon............but it just doesn't look involving. I just wanted a more solid-feeling world to run about in.

On the subject of the next Mario game there a rumours of a certain 'Mario 128', Not sure if that's just a working title.

Anyway, just 2 weeks to go for us PAL gamers for you know what...........

Mario 128 was a demo seen in Spaceworld and E3 before the Cube was released. I don't believe there are or ever really were any problems for it to be turned into a proper game (some might say that Mario 128 became Mario Sunshine).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom