GBA Game Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by warrj, Sep 5, 2004.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking about buying my wife a GBA in order to make a 20 hour flight tolerable for her. Does anyone have any suggestions for games which are a) excellent and b) likely to appeal to a casual female gamer?

Thanks,

Jules.

2. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That'll be a "No" then.

Jules.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    AFAIK all GBA games are for kids.

A couple of my mates got one, and to be honest they are a waste of time IMO.

Wait a few months for the fantastic PSP or DS

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    No offence Games Guru, but that really is not a helpful comment and IMO is very indicative of the fact you know very little about the GBA. Some of the best releases in the last couple of years have been on this console, including Advance Wars 1+2, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, Metroid Fusion + Zero, Castlevania games, Golden Sun, Zelda, Mario + Luigi Superstar Saga to name a few.

Warrj sorry I have not replied sooner I have tried really hard to think of some games that may be of interest. Most of the games I play on my GBA are usually tactics/strategy games or action platformers (many of which require far more dexterity than most current home consoles).

The games you could look at would be puzzle type games these usually go down well with the ladies.

I think something along the lines of

Warioware - A compilation of lots of mini-games that are supposedly very addictive.
    Puyo Pop - A Tetris type bubble game.
    Denki Blocks - A strange cutesy Japanese puzzler.
    Bomberman Tournament - Updated version of Bomberman, but like most Bomberman games better in multiplayer really.
    Harvest Moon - Farm sim, quite strange really, but fairly addictive, it is quite a fiddly game to play so may try patience.
    Pokemon Pinball - Pinball game obviously :)

I think out of that lot I would probably plump for Warioware, definately the most polished of the lot and is great for pick up and play.

5. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,788
    Agree with Sinzer there, the GBA has had some great games not just for kids, my favourite being TacticsOgre (one of my all time favourite games infact) Final Fantasy Tactics and Ominusha Tactics (a bit more basic but good)

Anyway, the only suggestion I would add would be MarioKart SuperCircuit, I don't have it but apparently it was a damn near perfect port of the original SNES MarioKart which was an amazing game especially if you have a link lead for 2 player, the hours will fly by :D .

I'll be flying to Argentina in January and I'm thinking of buying my girlfriend a GBA and 2 copys of MarioKart just to make the flight bareable :laugh:

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Buy any Pokemon game and the flight will just go past in a blur.
    Harvest Moon's good if you've got the time to put into it as well.

Panic

7. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Many thanks to everyone for their help and advice (esp. Sinzer). I picked up a GBA today together with Warioware.

Regards,

Jules.

8. Viewtiful_ben2

Viewtiful_ben2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What the hell you on about? :confused: :mad:
    Theres many games for older audiences too, and it's not a waste of time and saying IMO shows how much you know (not a lot at all)
    Gameboy games are the greatest thing since well time.
    They are great for travels, even at home, and you can find yourself playing them for hours.
    How can you call urself a games guru if you call the gameboy games crap?
    It's the only sucsessful handheld and if you look up sales, you'll see how wrong you are! And the psp will probably cost way to much and not last more than 5 hours on a flight. And it probably won't be out for yonks anyway!

warrj - get a sp or gba original and some quality games, and you won't even notice the flight,

heres some of my faves -
    pokemon ruby
    wario ware inc
    mario kart
    rayman
    harvest moon
    zelda lttp
    mario advance 2, 3 , 4
    metroid fushion
    + more!

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    dont forget the new line of classic nes games

10. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    I'm not sure if they appeal to women, but there are some fantastic strategy games for the GBA. Some have already been mentioned.

However, the big games that haven't been mentioned are Advance Wars 1 & 2. Truly awesome.

I've just started to play Fire Emblem, and that seems excellent too with a much more story driven approach that might be more girlfriend friendly.

(No insult to women gamers intended - in my experience they much prefer games with some emotional context)

11. Viewtiful_ben2

Viewtiful_ben2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    umm, :confused: they were mentioned, you must of missed them

SINZER mentioned them

12. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mario vs Donkey Kong is brilliant - a completely universal game IMO. Anyone can play it and enjoy it (regardless of sex, age or gaming ability)

It isn't available in Europe yet though, so you would have to import it (which isn't too difficult to do...it's a lot cheaper than buying UK games as well)