1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GBA Afterburner req.

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Taz, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Can anyone give me the best site to buy a GBA with afterburner light fitted (apart from Lik-Sang or Ebay) or a kit that doesn't req. cutting holes in your exsisting case..ie supplied with a pre cut case?

Cheers

Taz.:cool:

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    i modded mine and cutting the case is the easy bit , i didnt even bother measuring it, you can do it by eye.

i just heated a sharp knife and it cuts through it no problem, and once you put the screen back on you cant see where you have cut anyway, so if it isnt that neat it really doesnt matter.

i didnt take too much care about dust etc. either and it seems fine to me.

I would just order it and have a go , took me about 30 mins from start to finish, didnt bother with the dial tho, seems like a waste of time.
    having said that i bought a pack of 4 1800ma rechargable batteries and charger for £15 and they last a long time. left it on the night i did the afterburner mod at about midnight and it was still on when i got home from work the next day. can't ask for more than that.

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nintendo have just announced that it will be updating its LCD screen for the GBA in the next month or so I believe. Basically it will offer better viewing than the old GBA screen with better contrast, plus there will be a contrast dial on the GBA, much like the WonderSwan. Great news indeed but it took them an awfully long time to realise the fault.

Chances are that I'll part exchange my old GBA for the new model ^_^

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    contrast is fair enough but it still wont be back lit, get an afterburner still.

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It won't be backlit yes, but at least it will accept light a lot better than the current one (of which only really takes in white light).

6. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the point of a contrast control (which really means brightness) on a non-back lit screen? It won't be able to increase the brightness atall, only reduce it maybe. Doesn't a contrast control adjust the light intensity of the screen, whereas a brightness control sets the black level? Neoblade you got a link?

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will certainly help viewing under normal light conditions better thats for sure. Remember, I'm not saying that it will work at night! Dark games like Castlevaina would benifit greatly from the contrast controls, as would games viewed under "yellow" light.

If you plan to play the GBA at night in dark conditions, well thats a different story of course.

If you want the link to the site that broke the news then here it is... http://www.mygamer.com/article.php?sid=819

There were more but I need to dig up the links from my history list.