Gattaca 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
excellent movie and the school where i work show this movie in RE classes for discussions on ethics e.t.c.

Great review . A film ive never seen, so I’ve entered the competition, thanks

Thanks for the review Cas.

I agree that Gattaca was, in some regards, thematically ahead of the curve. Its concerns are also more longstanding.

I'd argue that the filmmakers sought to expose the danger and immorality of classifying human lives as valid or in-valid, thereby creating a hierarchy of human life.

Without wishing to get too heavy, should we describe eugenics as a potentially flawed theory? From the review: "blending keen reflection on the potential flaws of eugenics..."

We are, after all, talking about a philosophy used to justify the Holocaust. I'm not damning the review, which I enjoyed. The phrasing jumped out at me, is all.

Thanks for the review Cas.

I agree that Gattaca was, in some regards, thematically ahead of the curve. Its concerns are also more longstanding.

I'd argue that the filmmakers sought to expose the danger and immorality of classifying human lives as valid or in-valid, thereby creating a hierarchy of human life.

Without wishing to get too heavy, should we describe eugenics as a potentially flawed theory? From the review: "blending keen reflection on the potential flaws of eugenics..."

We are, after all, talking about a philosophy used to justify the Holocaust. I'm not damning the review, which I enjoyed. The phrasing jumped out at me, is all.

Ah, that's opening up a whole kettle of worms.

I'm never going to devil's advocate eugenics at all, particularly with all the horrors it has been used for, although you could say much the same that about any flawed idealistic model, of which there are many. Huxley's Brave New World and all that.

I guess I was always try to be more general and less political in my reviews. And the fact is that we have backdoored into a world where there are aspects already used (health profiling for insurance is just the tip of the iceberg) which everybody has just come to accept.

Also, for as much as the movie nails the oblique critique, it probably obfuscates the perfectly reasonable notion that you don't want people with severe heart conditions on a multi-decade space trip around the galaxy. However romantic the depiction, or great the soundtrack.

Thanks for the review Cas, I love this movie! I couldn't ever list an all time top 10, but this would be in there somewhere if I did.

Brilliant movie, one of my favourite sci-fis - definitely at least a 9/10. I'll be ordering this at some point very soon.

Remember going to see this in Leicester Square on an afternoon off, when it first came out. Just wanted to see a movie but had no idea what. Chose to see this film but had no idea what it was about, but because it had a small picture on the poster, of I think, a rocket taking off,(in the background) I thought it was going to be a space set sci-fi film like Star Wars. So sat all the way through the film, I was expecting and waiting for the rocket launch and space fighting bit! As a result, I came out of the film a bit disappointed!
It is only when I watched it again a few months later, that I thought it was excellent and remains incredibly relevant with great set and fashion design etc (retro futuristic?!) . A classic!

I always try to avoid trailers for films nowadays as they seem to show most of the main parts, so you feel as if you have seen most of it already, (no surprise and delight) and I think it mostly best to approach a film when you don't know what to expect. But this was one case where it would have been better if I had at least read a short synopsis beforehand!

Great review. I absolutely loved this back in the day. From the great story down to the little touches like electrified Citroen DS's.

I'm almost scared to go back and rewatch it in case it disappoints. It's been a loooong time!

I’d forgotten about this film.

Time for another watch I think. 20 plus years is a long enough interval.

Up there alongside Contact as one of the best pure Sci-Fi movies made in the home video era that from memory bypassed box office success in the UK, but were discovered by many on DVD.

11.jpg

Not seen it in 20 years -I still have the Super Jewel case DVD somewhere- oddly watched a nice Syd Mead interview the other day where he mentioned it and this review popped up too.

Maybe pick up a cheapo Blu-ray to suck & see.

Cool review. :smashin: Forgotten that this was the Directors debut effort. :eek: :clap:

Seen a few more pics of the Steelbook now and its not ss bad as I initially thought so going to pick that one up in due course (since its a keeper and a bona fide great movie).

Great review. I absolutely loved this back in the day. From the great story down to the little touches like electrified Citroen DS's.

I'm almost scared to go back and rewatch it in case it disappoints. It's been a loooong time!

Watched it again last year (after several years). Still great. One of those movies that ages really well (ie slowly) and the subject matter will always interesting/relevant. :smashin:

Thanks for yet another top review, Cas.
I bought this when it first came out on DVD and was stunned by the pq then.
Looking forward to this.

Probably the best sub-title of all time...

"There is no gene for the human spirit"

An easy 10 for me. It became one of my favourites of all time when I first saw it in the 90's. I saw it most recently last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. The scene of the brothers racing was powerful - Ethan Hawke delivers

How have i never seen this???

Thanks as always for the review Cas!

This is a truly excellent film, One of those "must see" movies that still grab you after multiple viewings!

Thanks as always for the review Cas!

This is a truly excellent film, One of those "must see" movies that still grab you after multiple viewings!

Single viewing is enough to grab our attention lol.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom