Gateways! - Part of Summer Uprising 2012

This is out now and it's great (as far as the trial goes). It's got the same aesthetic as Fez and the same gameplay as Portal but in 2d. It also seems a bit like Shadow Complex - you can explore different areas (I've only played the trial though, so I'm not 100% about this)

I've not bought it though as it's 240 points. I know it's not loads, but so many Indie games are released at 80 points that it seems too much.

I'll definitely get it if it drops to 80.

Well worth checking out.

Last edited:
Yes, it looks like it might get a bit too clever for its own good later on!

It looks like it's been out on PC for a while, so there are some reviews knocking about, such as this one from PC Gamer.

Another review likened it to a cross between Portal, Metroid and Braid.

It does sound really good and probably worth the asking price of 240 points.

It's made by the same people who did 'The Adventures of Shuggy' in XBLA.

I splashed out in the end! It really is good. It could have been released at 800 points as an arcade title (with abit more polish perhaps - don't think that's a negative towards it though!) in my opinion.

Fantastic stuff - easily one of the best indie games.

It gets mind-boggling once you pick up the time portal gun!

What makes it worse is that I sort of understand it, so I can almost work out the puzzles. This seems more frustrating than not having a clue.

The puzzle get pretty ingenious actually. It amazes me that people can think of them.

There are some good game mechanics that help you out though:

- you collect 'orbs'. These are traded in at help points (found at the start of every puzzle). If you are really stuck, it will show you the solution.

- there are permanent portals that let you quickly travel around the level so that you can get back to earlier places with new powers easily.

- the map is great and very easy to use. It clearly shows you where you are and where the next objective it. It's very well done.

- no time limits or pressures from enemies whilst completing the puzzles.

It's a very well thought out games, with some fantastic mechanics and great presentation (it really reminds me of Fez - the graphics and music).

I think this may be my new favourite Indie game.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom