1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas recharge!!!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by i-bert, Jun 9, 2003.

1. i-bert

i-bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  2. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems some one's been smoking the funny stuff over on the
    overclockers forums.

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Try Shell Optimax. RON98, with extras to keep the screen clean :)

Plasmas do have gases inside them, but they're at 2/3 of an atmosphere. Rather than gases leaking out, it's more likely that air will leak in! Why 2/3? It keeps the seal round each of the pixel, well, as long as you don't take the screen above 10,000 feet. Only then can the gases leak, and no, you can't get it regased. It's knackered.
    (Source - Televsion magazine).

Very annoying when you hear these stories from sales people who should know better.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,081
    Or...... very annoying when you hear this from sales people who have been on the company's 'how to meet your extended warranty targets' training course in which they are taught that they can boost their sales by 'informing' customers that the very expensive re-gassing process is covered by the extended warranty. I even heard this one on Saturday in a branded Sony Centre. And, I, myself, was told this in respect of an LCD set at Miller Brothers.

5. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if they're unable to use plasma's in Bogota (columbia). i once worked there and remember the altitude to be well on the high side. The air was very thin and i was tired all the time. In Fact the Job I was doing was looking into disk drives that may well suffer altidude sickness. Cant remember the results though.

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I spent many weeks of last year working in Latin America, my reward (to myself) for which was Panny5 50" plasma. I did some of my plasma research when I was there -- checking out displays in malls in the evening, and researching the internet at night in hotels.

Anyway, Quito (capital of Ecuador) is 9470 feet above sea level, and they don't seem to have problems with plasmas. Nor do Mexico City, but they are only at 7400 feet. Perhaps that extra 530 feet make all the difference?

StooMonster

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I wouldn't have been able to keep quiet if I heard that from a dealer, i'd have told him that they have florecent tubes that can be replaced and see what his reaction was...

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,081
    Indeed. But a customer telling them they are wrong doesn't work - because it doesn't help sell extended warranties. The only thing that is in the tiny mind of the average salesperson (and his/her Manager) is reaching warranty sales targets, because that's where they make their money.

Interesting post in another thread about Curry's on this very subject.

9. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just for the record, Bogota which is the capital of Colombia (note spelling :lesson: ) is at around 2,600m above sea level.

This translates to around 8530ft.

I can vouch for the shortness of breath up there but once you've been there more than once, you do adjust a lot faster.

Oh, and in several of the major shopping centres in Bogota they happily have Plasmas on display (usually in Brand shops such as Sony, Samsung or LG). Heck, I even saw a 60 + inch plasma in one of their supermarkets just a few months ago, playing, yes you guessed it, Toy Story.

Hi Fi is depressing in Bogota, imagine the only shops being branded ones (as mentioned above) or if you're really unlikely, a Bose shop (shudder).

I only found one place selling decent entry level separates (eg Yamaha 630), unfortunately the market there seems to be for ultra-tacky midi systems with lots of flashing lights and stickers proclaiming "3000W". Yeah right.

I don't think they've heard of RMS or whatever the Spanish equivalent is. :(